Brining Dominicanas to the US

superdave83

Mar 6, 2005
www.myspace.com
Hi everybody, I just got back from my best trip yet to the DR. Some of you may know I lived down there for a few years, and have been back twice since then to visit my girlfriend. Well, on this last trip we got engaged, so now comes the oh-so-important question of what to do now. We both agree that we want her to be able to move up here as soon as possible, but we're unsure of the best way to go about things. Should I get a lawyer or is it something I can work through myself? I've heard rumors that it's faster to pedir someone as a fiancee than as a wife, is that true? Or would it be better if we were married? Any advice or help anyone has would be great, I just got back this morning and I'm already missing her :( I'm going to have to listen to a lot of Sin Banderas - Kilometro to make it through lol

May 12, 2005
Apply for a K-1 Fiance visa to bring her here. If you marry her there first, things become more difficult. Being in the US, if you have questions or need assistance with immigration matters, contact your local US Congressman. They will have someone on staff in their local distrct office that will be able to help you along. Also use the search feature on this board. you will find a myriad of posts dealing with this issue. Congratulations and good luck.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would recommend doing a search about this topic here. It's been mentioned many, many times and you should have a couple of hours' worth of reading...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In the past the fiancee visa (K1) was the quickest route. Recently someone posted that it was quicker if you got married in the DR first; I have my doubts if that's true. A good immigration lawyer would be able to tell you the timeline for the various options.

You may want to post your question in the Yahoo user group that is dedicated to this topic:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Don't spend money...

On lawyers, you can do it yourself if you just read up and apply yourself...

If you have access to a computer, you don't need to spend any more money that will be required later to pay for the filing of the paperwork...

Go here: http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm
or here:http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1309.html]

These are the ONLY official sites for all the information you need to apply for a visa, be careful of any others...they even tell you that on these sites.

I applied in May to bring my fiance to the US, and he's already been approved here, (July 19) we are just waiting now for the National Visa Center to send his papers to Santo Domingo for processing there. It doesn't take as long as some people think, but it's different for everyone.

Good luck...

MQ

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
Just curious!!!!!

4 questions!!!!!
Do you speak spanish fluently?, How old is your Fiance?, Did you meet her around the tourist scene?,
and How long have you known her?

superdave83

Mar 6, 2005
www.myspace.com
Yes, I do speak fluently. I met her when I lived down there the first time, and I met her in San Francisco de Macoris (far away from any tourist scene). She is 21 (I'm 22) and I've known her for three years. Anything else? :)

MQ: That seems a lot faster than what everyone has been telling me, and it gives me a little more hope. When do you expect the entire proccess to be completed?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Well...

We have given ourselves a year's time for the whole thing to be processed, meaning we expect to be together here by May of 2006...

God permit it might happen a lot sooner, according to how things have been going so far...but you never know, once the paperwork gets to DR, how long they might take in processing...(procrastination, anyone?) and to give us an appointment date...

I'll keep you posted...

But you should start the process yourself by all means, it's not as complicated as some people make it...

Good luck...

MQ