Renting a car with a Debit Card

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Help!!!!!
I'm going to DR on august the 20th and I'm flying into STI Unfortunately no thanks to my mom. But... I need a place that will rent me a car with a Debit card.
Can anyone please help me find a place at the airport that will do this?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
p1atan0 said:
Help!!!!!
I'm going to DR on august the 20th and I'm flying into STI Unfortunately no thanks to my mom. But... I need a place that will rent me a car with a Debit card.
Any rental agency should do a debit card, butttt use it for the security only, and pay cash when you return the car. Depending on the rate of the peso and how long you stay, the rate can change by the time you get home and result in a much larger than expected bill. Your bank will use the rate at the time of their processing, not the transaction time of your rental. This can save a big surprise when you get home.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Be carefull!! Your debit card will be hit for any where from $1,000.00 to $3,500.00 to secure your rental. And yes you can pay in cash upon return.
But, if I understand the debit card process, the money will be taken by the agency and then, hopefully, returned. With a credit card they secure a fixed amount but don't have it in there possession.
John

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
p1atan0 said:
Help!!!!!

many rentals do not accept cash as payment.. only credit cards... as far as debit goes,, not sure.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Not sure about the difference in time for return of the funds between Debit Cards and Credit Cards. For Credit Cards, the company we use 'says' 1-3 days, but in reality it is usually within 8 business hours. I assume it is the same for the Debit Cards, but I have never had the need to check.

We don't distinguish between Debit and Credit cards for deposits... not sure about the other companies out there. We do put the security deposit 'hold' on funds. Depending on the length of rental it is either 10,000 or 20,000 pesos. (Maximum, just shy of $700USD by today's math).

I agree with the logic on using for security only. Paying in cash is the way to go.

I'm certain that we would be more expensive than the competition in Santiago, but if you come to POP or Caberete (or down to La Romana/Bayahibe), let me know and we'll try to help you out.

But to answer your question... most of the agencies down here probably will accept a debit card without any trouble. Some of the bigger US/International ones have special caveats if you use one with them.

Good Luck!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
THE GAME said:
many rentals do not accept cash as payment.. only credit cards... as far as debit goes,, not sure.
Not true. You can always settle the bill in cash. They only require a credit/debit card to reserve and rent the car.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
THE GAME said:
even with major rental companies like AVIS, NATIONAL, ALAMO ???
I haven't done it for a while, but in the past I've settled my bill with National in cash.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
I got It!!!!

Thank you for all your input but I got all the info I needed from badpiece. He gave me the Number to a place in Santiago. Thank You Badpiece!!!!!

Here is what you need to do...

Call a smaller company. The larger ones won't accept debit cards, at least not to rent. You can only to pay with a debit card. In my case They will run my Debit card to see if I have 10,000 pesos in the account just to rent it, If I have that ammount in the account they will write up a voucher for the total ammount of the rental. now, at the end, when I give the car back, I can either pay with cash or with the card.

Badpiece thank you verry much
they gave me a pretty good deal on a Toyota Camry perhaps you can do better lol remember im broke.
well have drinks with Larry when I get there.