Anybody Familiar with "Batey Relief Alliance"?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
We just received a contribution appeal from an organization I confess I have not heard of before, the Batey Relief Alliance. I was wondering if any DR1ers are familiar with their work on the ground in the DR, preferably firsthand experience. Or if you have insight into their reputation among relief organizations operating in the DR, that might help. Please, don't regurgitate what I can already read on their website [http://www.bateyrelief.org/]. If you don't wish to post on your experience/insight publicly, you can e-mail or PM me privately.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I guess I should have used DR1 protocol and bashed you for not using the search engine.:)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, I might point out that the links indicated didn't really add much in the way of new insights into the Alliance... :cheeky: But I appreciate the suggestion anyway.... ;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bateyes are where the migrant Haitian workers live, usually cane cutters. If you want to help these guys and experience the effect of your help, I suggest you visit one (they're all over the DR, just follow the sign that says 'Batey such-and-such'), and take with you a bag full of utilitarian items, like soap, toothbrushes and paste, food, treats, even over-the-counter medicines, and give them out personally (their smiles of contentment are worth more than the small sacrifice of your investment). You wont believe how scarce these items are in Bateyes, and check for yourself if those professionally dedicated to bettering the lives of migrant workers and their children have made any sustainable change in their plight.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, Mirador. Good general advice, but I already know what a batey is (and know where several are) and am instead looking for insights on this particular organization. They have sent out a donation appeal, supposedly to help pay the costs of a poor child to come to the US for heart surgery. My wife and I don't like to donate blindly -- there are too many "charities" out there that are good at PR and fundraising, but with whom only a couple of pennies of each dollar donated actually go to help needful people on the ground in developing countries. Since enither my wife or I had ever heard of this group before, I'd just like to make sure the Alliance is not one of those.

Regards,
Keith

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Keith R said:
Well, I might point out that the links indicated didn't really add much in the way of new insights into the Alliance... :cheeky: But I appreciate the suggestion anyway.... ;)
That's why I posted "Most of the info is just usual banter...". :)

You may want to PM or email AlanRobertson or Sarah whom both say they worked/volunteered for the organization.

The gauge I usually use before I give to an unknown charity is whether they are a registered 501c3 nonprofit organization. (I'm guessing they need to adhere to some rules to get that registration). They made no mentioned of being a 501c3 on their website so I just sent them an email asking that question. I'll let you know their response.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
rellosk said:
You may want to PM or email AlanRobertson or Sarah whom both say they worked/volunteered for the organization.
Well, Sarah hasn't logged into DR1 since March 2003, and AlanRobertson hasn't since last autumn, so I don't think that'll work. I think I remember Sarah as someone who used to post alot about her experiences helping a poor neighborhood near Barahona, so she might have had some firsthand insights on the Alliance. :ermm:

Thanks for making the inquiry about their charity status.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Keith R said:
Well, Sarah hasn't logged into DR1 since March 2003, and AlanRobertson hasn't since last autumn, so I don't think that'll work. I think I remember Sarah as someone who used to post alot about her experiences helping a poor neighborhood near Barahona, so she might have had some firsthand insights on the Alliance. :ermm:

Thanks for making the inquiry about their charity status.
That's why I suggested you might want to send them an email.

BTW, I got the following response to my email:

Yes! The Batey Relief Alliance is a tax-exempt 501c3 organization.

Sincerely,
Ulrick Gaillard
Executive Director

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
BRA has been around for a while it is a very stable organization. While I have not worked with them personally I know they have a v. good reputation. They were the key organization that Alianza (Moises Perez) teamed up with to funnel financial assistance in the most recent Jimani floods. Most of the assistance that comes out of NYC from Dominicans to Haitains goes through BRA or MUDHA.

I were you, I would contact Dan Erickson at Inter-American Dialogue. I am sure he can give you the scoop on their quality of work. I think Ulrick Gaillard (the CEO) has come down to DC for meeting. They are orginigally based out of Bklyn. Other people that have probably dealt with Gaillard personally are
Moises Perez, Julissa Reynoso, and Silvio Torres-Saillant. You may also get other referals from Dr. Ramona Hernandez.
D