ethics question re: Pedro M.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Today's magazine section of th NY Times (front cover) has a great picture of Pedro wearing a Met hat and a great big smile. I intend to cut this out and give it to one of the boys that usually are running wind sprints on the beach in Juan Dolio when I am there in two weeks.

My question is - do you think is unethical, immoral, to sign the picture, hoping to make some kid really happy, or not sign it since I am deceiving the youngster? A friend of mine said I am being immoral since the kid now thinks he has something saleable, will go out and sell it and then ,who knows?
JOHN

BTW-I am doing this in spite of the fact that I am a Yankee fan. Just thought I would accrue points for my passage into heaven.

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
if you're trying to accrue points,

I doubt deceiving a kid is the way to go. What if he ends up selling it as your friend said and the person who buys it figures out its fake and wants their money back? Or worse, just decides the kid needs the truth knocked in their head.

If you really want to do something nice, take him a Mets hat and give it to him with the clipping so he can pretend he is just like Pedro.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Why not just buy an genuine autographed picture and bring that with you. That would really make some kid happy.

Last edited:

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
I don't know about anyone else but I would feel bad if I did that, sure the kid might be happy but I would know myself it wasn't genuine.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
I'm not saying that it will work, but you can try writing to the New York Mets & asking for an autographed picture to take with you as a gift for your visit to the DR.

Address it to:
Pedro Martinez
c/o New York Mets
126 Roosevelt Ave.
Flushing, NY 11351

Worst case scenerio is you are out $0.37 for the stamp.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
johne said:
Today's magazine section of th NY Times (front cover) has a great picture of Pedro wearing a Met hat and a great big smile. I intend to cut this out and give it to one of the boys that usually are running wind sprints on the beach in Juan Dolio when I am there in two weeks.

My question is - do you think is unethical, immoral, to sign the picture, hoping to make some kid really happy, or not sign it since I am deceiving the youngster? A friend of mine said I am being immoral since the kid now thinks he has something saleable, will go out and sell it and then ,who knows?
JOHN

BTW-I am doing this in spite of the fact that I am a Yankee fan. Just thought I would accrue points for my passage into heaven.

I don't see a problem as long as you sign your own name ;)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thank You

fko1 said:
Only an a**hole would sign a picture or memorbilia with a fake autograph and give it to a child.

Many thanks for your kind words and thoughts, just what I needed after a 12 hour work day and all over me wanting to give a picture to a kid on the beach.

BTW-you might want to improve your reading comprehension skills by re-reading my post where I posed a question on ethics and morals, not your opinion on body parts.

Previous posters have already answered my question-for you the train already left the station.

JOHN