Is it Crowded in August?

tallcutesbm

Jul 30, 2005
I am a single male planning a trip to Puerto Plata. I can go at the end of August , next month or wait till December or March. I am going by myself and would like to be around other single tourists. Is August a bad month to go. I know ther will be some rain. I love to swim , salsa, dance, and party.

brit

Jun 28, 2005
I know that Cabarete is quiet in August.....and hot. It is much busier in March.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Wait till December, air fares go down after September and the weather is better, no chance of hurricanes.

brit

Jun 28, 2005
it sounds like he wants to party!!!
not too many people around until late december, keep that in mind.
Regarding hurricanes....only newcomers and tourists worry about those. ;)

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Never been there in august, but could the weather realy be worse than in December ? I thougt that was the worst mont in the year. Haven't been much sun in december the last to years in Sosua anyway.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
First: you asked similar questions in 2 places and it confuses us..... keep it to one forum if you can..

ggn420 - you are incorrect. Hurricane season runs till early December!!!

But we rarely get a hurricane here so to the OP relax and don't worry about it.

August here is hot and humid, yes it will rain. but it is usually a thunderstorm later afternoon or evening... You will get your beach time and it doesn't interfere with dancing.

For the last two years December weather has been less than fabulous, you are correct Tor. But the longer term pattern is for decent weather that time of year. (that is not from personal experience but other long termers here......)

Come on down whenever it suits you! You will have as good a time as you decide to have....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
tallcutesbm said:
I am a single male planning a trip to Puerto Plata. I can go at the end of August , next month or wait till December or March. I am going by myself and would like to be around other single tourists. Is August a bad month to go. I know ther will be some rain. I love to swim , salsa, dance, and party.
August and September are the hottest months in POP.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You are absolutely correct, they are the hottest but only marginally hotter then June to October. The real difference you will find is the humidity. August and September are usually more humid, although this year it has been humid since June!!!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
planner said:
First: you asked similar questions in 2 places and it confuses us..... keep it to one forum if you can..

ggn420 - you are incorrect. Hurricane season runs till early December!!!

But we rarely get a hurricane here so to the OP relax and don't worry about it.

August here is hot and humid, yes it will rain. but it is usually a thunderstorm later afternoon or evening... You will get your beach time and it doesn't interfere with dancing.

For the last two years December weather has been less than fabulous, you are correct Tor. But the longer term pattern is for decent weather that time of year. (that is not from personal experience but other long termers here......)

Come on down whenever it suits you! You will have as good a time as you decide to have....
She asked for comparisons on Aug, Sept, Dec. or Mar. I was implying that December would be better than the previous months, due to the posibilities of hurricanes. I did not say anything about no hurricanes in December. Also the fares go down in September, sooooo over all I would suggest that December would be a better time to go.
Pretty plane and simple. No one is questioning your impecable authority.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
ggn420......

"Wait till December, air fares go down after September and the weather is better, no chance of hurricanes."

......that is what you wrote. Unless I can't read or understand, no chance of hurricanes means exactly that...

So, whatever you ate today that is upsetting your temperment... please don't take it out on me! I do this because I like to, not because I wish to be an authority or have snide remarks thrown back at me.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
planner said:
"Wait till December, air fares go down after September and the weather is better, no chance of hurricanes."

......that is what you wrote. Unless I can't read or understand, no chance of hurricanes means exactly that...

So, whatever you ate today that is upsetting your temperment... please don't take it out on me! I do this because I like to, not because I wish to be an authority or have snide remarks thrown back at me.
Hey, Darlene, you jumped on me for the hurricane in Dec. remark. According to north coast posters, they haven't had a hurricane hit in ten years. I was simply pointing out that Dec had lesser a chance of bad weather than previous months. True or not true? That combined with more tourists and cheaper airfares spells December. I think the OP got the point long before you came along. You like others tend to concentrate on replying to others replys than the OP. I thought the post was informative and was just what the OP was looking for, as well as others that posted. No one else had a problem with it till you came along at the end of the day. Sorry it did not meet up to your standards, I will have to try harder if it will make you happy.
Enough said.
Ciao....and I didn't eat anything today, thats where I'm going...to Rockys for ribs!! Yummie.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
tallcutesbm said:

I?d say as Planner, come when ever you can and want to!
Less crowded in August, but cheaper at hotels, if you are not going on a charter ( then compare yourself the various offers from your country/hometown).. December is peak season here, more tourists and prices at hotels higher for individuals.
Other prices ( excursions, ground transportation etc ) same all year.

Salsa, ocean, swim, dance, party... any month of the year!

;)

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
single male also traveling alone in august

tallcutesbm said:

Greetings everyone. I too will be traveling to the Dominican Republic alone on August 12, but to Santo Domingo. When do the festivities for Restoration Day begin? I have just returned from the conflict in Iraq and I am looking to enjoy myself tremendously. If any of you are willing, I would greatly appreciate having someone to show me around, or at least let me know where to go and what to do.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tor said:
Never been there in august, but could the weather realy be worse than in December ? I thougt that was the worst mont in the year. Haven't been much sun in december the last to years in Sosua anyway.
Historically, August is rainier than December, but as you said, Tor, the last 2 Decembers have been horrible. Not only rainy, but outright cold.
The only thing for sure with the weather here is that nothing is for sure.
As the OP wants to party with other single tourists and Cabarete would be the ideal location for him, taking into account that Brit mentioned that Cabarete is quiet in August, then December & March will be his best choices.
December is bound to be a lot more expensive than March.
If the weather in December in the last few years is a trend, then March would be his best bet.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
tallcutesbm said:
where are you coming from?..........and where are you staying?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Flights

I don't get why ggn420 is so bent on the concept that flights are cheaper in December than August! I just read that Jet Blue was offering flights from JFK to STI for under $100 each way right now.

Nobody has a crystal ball regarding the weather, I was there for the entire month of December last year and rained damn near every day, I was also there for the entire month of March and the weather was beautiful but you never know for sure.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
CyaBye3015 said:
I don't get why ggn420 is so bent on the concept that flights are cheaper in December than August! .

Let's just say he's BENT period!! :laugh:

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
CyaBye3015 said:
I don't get why ggn420 is so bent on the concept that flights are cheaper in December than August! I just read that Jet Blue was offering flights from JFK to STI for under $100 each way right now.

Nobody has a crystal ball regarding the weather, I was there for the entire month of December last year and rained damn near every day, I was also there for the entire month of March and the weather was beautiful but you never know for sure.
Do your homework, you will see. I said that tickets are cheaper if you BUY them in September for DECEMBER travel, never said they were cheaper to buy in December. You are lucky if you can buy tickets in December for December travel. Tickets for AA go on sale EVERY year in September after school goes back. Jet Blue does not fly out of Hartford and other east coasters don't all have the option of going to NYC for their flight. Jet Blue is another Pan Am Clipper, they list the service...but try and get a flight when you want to go. Tons of restrictions. American is 562 out of Harford now, BUT travel has to be completed by Nov.10. If you buy in September it will be between 500 and 525. Paid 505 last year for travel includeing the holidays, returning on Jan.10th. I do my homework, my daughter flys for AA.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
ggn420 said:
Do your homework, you will see. I said that tickets are cheaper if you BUY them in September for DECEMBER travel, never said they were cheaper to buy in December. You are lucky if you can buy tickets in December for December travel. Tickets for AA go on sale EVERY year in September after school goes back. Jet Blue does not fly out of Hartford and other east coasters don't all have the option of going to NYC for their flight. Jet Blue is another Pan Am Clipper, they list the service...but try and get a flight when you want to go. Tons of restrictions. American is 562 out of Harford now, BUT travel has to be completed by Nov.10. If you buy in September it will be between 500 and 525. Paid 505 last year for travel includeing the holidays, returning on Jan.10th. I do my homework, my daughter flys for AA.

Excuse me, I didn't recall the OP saying he was from Hartford! And I was simply giving Jet Blue as an example, there are many variables!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
CyaBye3015 said:
Excuse me, I didn't recall the OP saying he was from Hartford! And I was simply giving Jet Blue as an example, there are many variables!
Your right, the OP never did say he was from Hartford. I was just useing that as an example, because that's where I fly out. It was a comparison...like Jet Blue. The point was that tickets are cheaper to buy in Sept. than Dec. and the latter months would be a better time to travel overall.