Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stay away from Jose O'Shay's

Jose O’Shay’s is an Irish pub on right on the beach in Cabarete. The décor and general ambiance of the place make it a good point to the visitor that this is a place to eat, drink and relax while you watch the day pass you by.

Unfortunately, when it comes down to service and quality you discover in the most unpleasant ways that this place is to be avoided. First the waitress got out order wrong. We had ordered fish and chips, and she brought us some other type of fish (“mero”, in Spanish). Well, “let’s not stress it” we said. Let’s just enjoy our meal together. When the bill arrived, we saw it totaled RD$1,700, including tip and taxes. That’s US$58.62 at today’s exchange rate. So we also noticed we were paying Irish prices for a simple lunchtime meal.

But the price did not bother me as much as what came after. My companion and I spent the rest of the afternoon, night and morning with terrible stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. This ruined the evening we had planned, and prevented us from enjoying the rest of Cabarete. The next morning we had to go to the local clinic in Cabarete and had some medication and antacids prescribed. My companion was dehydrated from the vomiting the night before, and had to have an intravenous injection that was administered. When we made it to Santo Domingo in the afternoon, she had to go the doctor again because the symptoms of her food poisoning kept getting worse. She had to miss a day at work because of this.

All this thanks to a crappy meal at Jose O’Shay’s.

I told some friends what had happened and they were not surprised. They informed me that a friend of theirs also got poisoned by the fish at Jose O’Shay’s.

I'm a living brain doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Fish

Quote Originally Posted by mdiaz
    Jose O’Shay’s is an Irish pub on right on the beach in Cabarete. The décor and general ambiance of the place make it a good point to the visitor that this is a place to eat, drink and relax while you watch the day pass you by.

Unfortunately, when it comes down to service and quality you discover in the most unpleasant ways that this place is to be avoided. First the waitress got out order wrong. We had ordered fish and chips, and she brought us some other type of fish (“mero”, in Spanish). Well, “let’s not stress it” we said. Let’s just enjoy our meal together. When the bill arrived, we saw it totaled RD$1,700, including tip and taxes. That’s US$58.62 at today’s exchange rate. So we also noticed we were paying Irish prices for a simple lunchtime meal.

But the price did not bother me as much as what came after. My companion and I spent the rest of the afternoon, night and morning with terrible stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. This ruined the evening we had planned, and prevented us from enjoying the rest of Cabarete. The next morning we had to go to the local clinic in Cabarete and had some medication and antacids prescribed. My companion was dehydrated from the vomiting the night before, and had to have an intravenous injection that was administered. When we made it to Santo Domingo in the afternoon, she had to go the doctor again because the symptoms of her food poisoning kept getting worse. She had to miss a day at work because of this.

All this thanks to a crappy meal at Jose O’Shay’s.

I told some friends what had happened and they were not surprised. They informed me that a friend of theirs also got poisoned by the fish at Jose O’Shay’s.

ISN'T THIS THE FISH THAT ALWAYS DOES THIS - IF IT DOESN'T KILL YOU FIRST.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Would NEVER Order A Meal In A Restaurant Without Knowing The Price!

Shame on you for being so naive.Secondly,I never take too seriously a post by anyone who "Knows" where they got "Food Poisoning".(Maybe it was "Someone" you ate",not "Something"!)
    Thirdly,since this is your first post,and it is only to "Bad Mouth" a restaurant where you were foolish enough to overpay,and that according only to you,I really take the whole post with a "Grain-of-Salt"!!!!!!
    If you had several hundred miscellaneous posts to your credit on DR1 I might give you some "credit",but just this post,no way!Too much "garbage" on the internet to take anything seriously!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm a living brain doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    Shame on you for being so naive.Secondly,I never take too seriously a post by anyone who "Knows" where they got "Food Poisoning".(Maybe it was "Someone" you ate",not "Something"!)
    Thirdly,since this is your first post,and it is only to "Bad Mouth" a restaurant where you were foolish enough to overpay,and that according only to you,I really take the whole post with a "Grain-of-Salt"!!!!!!
    If you had several hundred miscellaneous posts to your credit on DR1 I might give you some "credit",but just this post,no way!Too much "garbage" on the internet to take anything seriously!
    THAT WASN't VERY NICE OF YOU. WAS IT?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cccccccc Chris

I will tell you I have ate and drank there, didnt get sick but will not go back to Jose O'Shays nor recommend the place, to dam expensive in comparison to other bars on the beach strip.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose O'Shays is EXTREMELY overpriced and the people who own it are not well liked. I have heard so many bad things about the place.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    Hello Criss Colon,

Doesn't seem to me you read the entire post. As I said before, and repeat for your benefit, the waitress got our order wrong. She conveniently brought us the more expensive fish. And it ended up being the most expensive fish I've ever ate if you consider the doctor and medication bills.

Secondly, yes you are correct, this is my first thread. However, I've been visiting this site since 1999. I don't know you and don't know for how long you been in this board, but it might turn out that I've been here before you even thought of registering.

Last, Google Jose O'Shay's and you'll come across some other posts with similar experiences.

A word of advice, there are better things in life than being a post whore. Look yourself in the mirror and see if it’s worth it for you. Have a wonderful day.

I'm a living brain doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TOO ---- EXpensive

I always think of Cabarete as a Tourist rip off town. The exchange rates are always low. Apart from Janet's Supermarket, the prices are always high. That film development shop opposite the junk condo building, charges three or four times what they charge in Puerto Plata. Have Digital now so it doesn't matter. Just like Southend, Margate,Ramsgate,Blackpool used to be don't know now haven't been there for 35 years.

I'm a living brain doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That's the Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by mdiaz
    Hello Criss Colon,

Doesn't seem to me you read the entire post. As I said before, and repeat for your benefit, the waitress got our order wrong. She conveniently brought us the more expensive fish. And it ended up being the most expensive fish I've ever ate if you consider the doctor and medication bills.

Secondly, yes you are correct, this is my first thread. However, I've been visiting this site since 1999. I don't know you and don't know for how long you been in this board, but it might turn out that I've been here before you even thought of registering.

Last, Google Jose O'Shay's and you'll come across some other posts with similar experiences.

A word of advice, there are better things in life than being a post whore. Look yourself in the mirror and see if it’s worth it for you. Have a wonderful day.
    This could get interesting. I agree cccccccccccccccc goes OTT most of the time.

What is the saying about power and corruption?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If I Ordered A "Hamburger"'And The Waitress Brought Me a "Steak",

I would most likely eat it,not wanting to wait for the correct order,but I WILL guarantee one thing,I am paying for the hamburger,NOT the steak!
    I stand by my,"Nobody can say for sure without scientific analysis of the food,where they got contaminated",statement!
    As far as being a "Post Whore",I don't know if you mean "me","you",or "both of us"?And I don't know what a "Post Whore" is,but mostly,I really enjoy getting paid for spending my day on "DR1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS. If "WUD",and "Larry" think that the place "SUCKS" you too must be right! I therefore defer to your experience on this one!!

And who said I am "unreasonable"????

By the way,"Mero" means "Sucker" in"Spanish"!!!!!
    Last edited by Criss Colon; 08-01-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast