Stay away from Jose O'Shay's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdiaz

Aug 1, 2005
Jose O?Shay?s is an Irish pub on right on the beach in Cabarete. The d?cor and general ambiance of the place make it a good point to the visitor that this is a place to eat, drink and relax while you watch the day pass you by.

Unfortunately, when it comes down to service and quality you discover in the most unpleasant ways that this place is to be avoided. First the waitress got out order wrong. We had ordered fish and chips, and she brought us some other type of fish (?mero?, in Spanish). Well, ?let?s not stress it? we said. Let?s just enjoy our meal together. When the bill arrived, we saw it totaled RD$1,700, including tip and taxes. That?s US$58.62 at today?s exchange rate. So we also noticed we were paying Irish prices for a simple lunchtime meal.

But the price did not bother me as much as what came after. My companion and I spent the rest of the afternoon, night and morning with terrible stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. This ruined the evening we had planned, and prevented us from enjoying the rest of Cabarete. The next morning we had to go to the local clinic in Cabarete and had some medication and antacids prescribed. My companion was dehydrated from the vomiting the night before, and had to have an intravenous injection that was administered. When we made it to Santo Domingo in the afternoon, she had to go the doctor again because the symptoms of her food poisoning kept getting worse. She had to miss a day at work because of this.

All this thanks to a crappy meal at Jose O?Shay?s.

I told some friends what had happened and they were not surprised. They informed me that a friend of theirs also got poisoned by the fish at Jose O?Shay?s.

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
Bad Fish

mdiaz said:
Jose O?Shay?s is an Irish pub on right on the beach in Cabarete. The d?cor and general ambiance of the place make it a good point to the visitor that this is a place to eat, drink and relax while you watch the day pass you by.

Unfortunately, when it comes down to service and quality you discover in the most unpleasant ways that this place is to be avoided. First the waitress got out order wrong. We had ordered fish and chips, and she brought us some other type of fish (?mero?, in Spanish). Well, ?let?s not stress it? we said. Let?s just enjoy our meal together. When the bill arrived, we saw it totaled RD$1,700, including tip and taxes. That?s US$58.62 at today?s exchange rate. So we also noticed we were paying Irish prices for a simple lunchtime meal.

But the price did not bother me as much as what came after. My companion and I spent the rest of the afternoon, night and morning with terrible stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. This ruined the evening we had planned, and prevented us from enjoying the rest of Cabarete. The next morning we had to go to the local clinic in Cabarete and had some medication and antacids prescribed. My companion was dehydrated from the vomiting the night before, and had to have an intravenous injection that was administered. When we made it to Santo Domingo in the afternoon, she had to go the doctor again because the symptoms of her food poisoning kept getting worse. She had to miss a day at work because of this.

All this thanks to a crappy meal at Jose O?Shay?s.

I told some friends what had happened and they were not surprised. They informed me that a friend of theirs also got poisoned by the fish at Jose O?Shay?s.

ISN'T THIS THE FISH THAT ALWAYS DOES THIS - IF IT DOESN'T KILL YOU FIRST.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Would NEVER Order A Meal In A Restaurant Without Knowing The Price!

Shame on you for being so naive.Secondly,I never take too seriously a post by anyone who "Knows" where they got "Food Poisoning".(Maybe it was "Someone" you ate",not "Something"!)
Thirdly,since this is your first post,and it is only to "Bad Mouth" a restaurant where you were foolish enough to overpay,and that according only to you,I really take the whole post with a "Grain-of-Salt"!!!!!!
If you had several hundred miscellaneous posts to your credit on DR1 I might give you some "credit",but just this post,no way!Too much "garbage" on the internet to take anything seriously!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
Not Nice

Criss Colon said:
Shame on you for being so naive.Secondly,I never take too seriously a post by anyone who "Knows" where they got "Food Poisoning".(Maybe it was "Someone" you ate",not "Something"!)
Thirdly,since this is your first post,and it is only to "Bad Mouth" a restaurant where you were foolish enough to overpay,and that according only to you,I really take the whole post with a "Grain-of-Salt"!!!!!!
If you had several hundred miscellaneous posts to your credit on DR1 I might give you some "credit",but just this post,no way!Too much "garbage" on the internet to take anything seriously!

THAT WASN't VERY NICE OF YOU. WAS IT?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jose O'Shays is EXTREMELY overpriced and the people who own it are not well liked. I have heard so many bad things about the place.

Larry

mdiaz

Aug 1, 2005
Criss Colon said:

Hello Criss Colon,

Doesn't seem to me you read the entire post. As I said before, and repeat for your benefit, the waitress got our order wrong. She conveniently brought us the more expensive fish. And it ended up being the most expensive fish I've ever ate if you consider the doctor and medication bills.

Secondly, yes you are correct, this is my first thread. However, I've been visiting this site since 1999. I don't know you and don't know for how long you been in this board, but it might turn out that I've been here before you even thought of registering.

Last, Google Jose O'Shay's and you'll come across some other posts with similar experiences.

A word of advice, there are better things in life than being a post whore. Look yourself in the mirror and see if it?s worth it for you. Have a wonderful day.

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
TOO ---- EXpensive

I always think of Cabarete as a Tourist rip off town. The exchange rates are always low. Apart from Janet's Supermarket, the prices are always high. That film development shop opposite the junk condo building, charges three or four times what they charge in Puerto Plata. Have Digital now so it doesn't matter. Just like Southend, Margate,Ramsgate,Blackpool used to be don't know now haven't been there for 35 years.

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
That's the Spirit

mdiaz said:
Hello Criss Colon,

Doesn't seem to me you read the entire post. As I said before, and repeat for your benefit, the waitress got our order wrong. She conveniently brought us the more expensive fish. And it ended up being the most expensive fish I've ever ate if you consider the doctor and medication bills.

Secondly, yes you are correct, this is my first thread. However, I've been visiting this site since 1999. I don't know you and don't know for how long you been in this board, but it might turn out that I've been here before you even thought of registering.

Last, Google Jose O'Shay's and you'll come across some other posts with similar experiences.

A word of advice, there are better things in life than being a post whore. Look yourself in the mirror and see if it?s worth it for you. Have a wonderful day.

This could get interesting. I agree cccccccccccccccc goes OTT most of the time.

What is the saying about power and corruption?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If I Ordered A "Hamburger"'And The Waitress Brought Me a "Steak",

I would most likely eat it,not wanting to wait for the correct order,but I WILL guarantee one thing,I am paying for the hamburger,NOT the steak!
I stand by my,"Nobody can say for sure without scientific analysis of the food,where they got contaminated",statement!
As far as being a "Post Whore",I don't know if you mean "me","you",or "both of us"?And I don't know what a "Post Whore" is,but mostly,I really enjoy getting paid for spending my day on "DR1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS. If "WUD",and "Larry" think that the place "SUCKS" you too must be right! I therefore defer to your experience on this one!! :cry:

And who said I am "unreasonable"???? ;)

By the way,"Mero" means "Sucker" in"Spanish"!!!!! :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Last edited:

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
Wow

Criss Colon said:
I would most likely eat it,not wanting to wait for the correct order,but I WILL guarantee one thing,I am paying for the hamburger,NOT the steak!
I stand by my,"Nobody can say for sure without scientific analysis of the food,where they got contaminated",statement!
As far as being a "Post Whore",I don't know if you mean "me","you",or "both of us"?And I don't know what a "Post Whore" is,but mostly,I really enjoy getting paid for spending my day on "DR1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

What is that saying that ends "ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK,ClubWino,If You Want To Use "IT",Get "IT" Right!!!

Power Corrupts,
Absolute Power Corrupts,ABSOLUTELY!

However I fail to see the significance( ;) ) in this case! CC

Last edited:

mdiaz

Aug 1, 2005
Criss Colon said:

The rest of what you said doesn't merit a response, with the exception of your assanine statement above.

Here it goes in Spanish with a loose English translation:

Esto es lo mas pendejo que se ha dicho en este sitio en el d?a de hoy:
Criss Colon said:

Claro que no se puede saber con EXACTITUD donde se contrajo un virus estomacal, sin un examen medico. Eso es querer hablar por hablar. Pero si se puede tener una muy buena idea de donde viene la infecci?n considerando el tipo de comida, y que solo se ha comido dos veces en ese d?a.

Here's in English:

This is the most dumbass statement that's been posted in this site today:
Criss Colon said:
Of course you cannot tell EXACTLY where a stomach virus came from without medical analysis. It displays your incredible desire to spread BS. But you can have a good idea where the virus came from if you consider the type of food you ate and the fact that it was your second meal of that day.

Now I understand how you got to 4,000 posts on this board.

Anyway, stay away from Jose O'Shay's people. That's the original message of this thread before being hijacked by certain people.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It must be going on two years that all (most of) the locals in Cabarete have been boycotting Jose O'Sheas. I've chatted with Frank about this and he is focused on tourist business - easy come, easy go. He is not focused on local trade.

The waitresses are taught the 'mero' trick... they are also 'taught' to bring the more expensive drinks. They are also 'taught' exactly what to do with the bill to make it way higher than expected. Charge an extra round (by mistake), drop a few extra drinks on there (by mistake), and so on and so on. Mostly, with tourists, they pay. Once, we were a few people coming and going at one table, and each of the 'comers' and 'goers' paid their bills. This did not stop this fine establishment to bring me all the bills at the end of the night, and ask for another payment. We'll, it did not work, but the sad thing was, that the waitress got fired.

They make a dynamite blue cheese burger... (or did two years ago). Not even for that will I eat or drink there ever again. Ever paid US$7.00 for an agua de coco - in the shell?

Wineclubs

I'm a living brain doner
Jul 10, 2005
Power

Criss Colon said:
Power Corrupts,
Absolute Power Corrupts,ABSOLUTELY!

However I fail to see the significants in this case! CC

JUST THOUGHT OF IT. WAS ABOUT TO POST IT.

READ IT BTW SIGNIFICANTS IS SPELT ----- ANCE at the end.

HOWEVER YOU PROVED

"ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS, ABSOLUTELY"

YOU SHOULD APOLOGISE TO THESE PEOPLE.

MAYBE THE FISH WAS BAD. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY " WHO YOU ATE "?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many "Tourists" Are Taken Advantage Of In The "Beach Restaurants" of The North Coast

But "WHO" would be stupid enough to fall for the old "Mero for "Fish and Chips" scam?? Maybe thats what is meant by "Bait and Switch"??? And then to pay for the "MERO", :cry:
Like P.T.Barnum said;"There is a sucker born every minute"!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc :tired: :cross-eye

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Best place to go for Mero is Scandinavian Bar at Sosua Beach. Delicious Mero filets served with boiled potatoes and Carrots. Don't remember the price, but think it's 300 pesos a portion. Never got sick there.

mdiaz

Aug 1, 2005
Tor said:
Best place to go for Mero is Scandinavian Bar at Sosua Beach. Delicious Mero filets served with boiled potatoes and Carrots. Don't remember the price, but think it's 300 pesos a portion. Never got sick there.

Thanks Tor, now that's a constructive response to my post.

I will keep yours and others suggestion in mind the next time I'm in the area.

Have a great day!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Jose is way overpriced and I thought the witresses were just stupid and not trying to screw people. I was there the day after thanksgiving listening to the owner's son who runs the place whine about how they are not making any money. I told him to sell the place or quit bitching.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
But "WHO" would be stupid enough to fall for the old "Mero for "Fish and Chips" scam?? Maybe thats what is meant by "Bait and Switch"??? And then to pay for the "MERO", :cry:
Like P.T.Barnum said;"There is a sucker born every minute"!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc :tired: :cross-eye
Nobody expects to get suckered when they sit down for a meal. In all my years of going to the DR, I'm not sure I ever heard of a restaurant where they consistently bait and switch the patrons.

I'm glad the poster let us know of this place to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.