Spiders & Other Creepy Crawly Things

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Moving here from Toronto it definitely took some getting used to when dealing with some of the creatures you find in side your own house. Never mind the big brown spiders, I've dealt with biting ants that never stop coming, tree frogs climbing all over the walls, crabs in the swimming pool and those huge, hairy tarantulas.

Now can anybody tell me if this scorpion is native to the island and is it's sting dangerous to people?

pic

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
Moving here from Toronto it definitely took some getting used to when dealing with some of the creatures you find in side your own house. Never mind the big brown spiders, I've dealt with biting ants that never stop coming, tree frogs climbing all over the walls, crabs in the swimming pool and those huge, hairy tarantulas.

Now can anybody tell me if this scorpion is native to the island and is it's sting dangerous to people?

pic

Yeah, they are called "Alacran" and they are found underneath a "Yagua", the stem of Palm tree leaf. I don't know how dangerous their bite is, though.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Looks like the alacran needed a smoke.
:)
Those big hairy tarantulas are called cacatas, no?
And don't forget the friendly geckos ...
mkohn
:)

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Don't worry it gets worse!

I had one walk across my foot in my living room once. I think the picture is still in the archives somewhere. The question was "how on earth did it get in the house"? - Anyway don't worry about those - Worry about the poison spitting toads and killer centipedes.

- By the way - on a serious note, I was "playing" with a stick insect the other day when my gardener happened to walk past and nearly jumped out of his skin! He said it was very poisonous but I'm not sure exactly how it could be - do we have any stick insect experts on the board?

Oh - and Hillbilly will like this; I was with my Dad in the car when we saw a tarantular and tarantular wasp fighting in the street. I thought I'd get a closer look so we stopped the car and I jumped out to watch. Big mistake! The wasp had the spider beaten and I guess it saw me as a threat - I didn't know I could still run a quarter mile so fast!!!! My Dad laughed so much I thought he would do himself damage!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, we got 'em!

Look, your worst problem are ants, the "fire" ants. Hire an exterminator to get rid of as many as possible. They can make life miserable.

Frogs are great and keep mosquitos away.
Tarantuals are you best freind if you are not a cockroach lover. They are ahairy and sort of ugly but they will only bother you if you corner them. Sort of shoo them away. You'll be less cockroachy as a result.

We do have scorpions, and even Black Widow spiders, but these are generally hiding away in dark, humid places and are not people friendly. So don't go sticking your hand in dark, humid places.

The "nasty" is the damned centipede. They bite, they are agressive and they are mean. And their bite is really bad. Their habitat is warm, humid places, like soiled clothes waiting to be washed, or the washing machine area, or shoes...
Anyone living in the tropics knows to knock your shoes out before putting them on...

Are these creatures deadly? NO! Can they hurt? Oh yeah, big time!.

HB:D:D:D

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
centipede bite

I've heard that if not treated fairly quick,the sickness is long lasting a lot like having mono.
Is this true?