How do you spell success?

A

A. Nony Mouse

The following is from DR1's news today:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tourism Ministry says ad campaign attracts US tourists:

A brief in Hoy newspaper points out that the Ministry of Tourism has spent US$ 7 million on advertising campaigns seeking to target the US market in 1999. Minister of Tourism Felix Jim?nez told the newspaper that as a result of the campaign there has been an increase in US visitors, primarily to Punta Cana. He said that in 1996, arrivals from the US were 22,727, in 1997 they increased to 41,000, and in 1998, they grew to 65,000. He said that during the first six months of this year, some 61,000 US tourists arrived. He expects arrivals to be more than 110,000 from the US by year's end. The average stay of US tourists in Dominican hotels was 3.1 days in 1996, 4.6 days in 1997, 3.8 days in 1998, and an estimated 2.7 days in 1999.

-------

Boy! What an accomplishment! Less than one in 25 tourists to the DR is an American! To put it differently, one in 2,500 Americans will visit the DR in 1999. 110,000 Tourists times 2.7 days is 270,000 tourist days. At two tourists to a room,135,000 room days. Ignoring the millions spent by the hotel companies in the same period to attract US visitors, this comes to over US$ 51 per room per day.

In 1998 it was 247,000 tourist days or 123,500 room days. The increase is s only 11,500 room days. Since the advertising money was spent in 1999, the cost of the increase over 1998 was in fact $608 per room per day or $304 per tourist per day.

If their visits were spread out evenly, you would need only one 370 room hotel to house them all. (135,000 divided by 365) The DR has about 40,000 rooms.

J

Julia

I've got information from Ascot Advisory Services C&A (John Schroder) "The New Dominican Republic" from Sept. 1998! An article from Mary Ramond, president of Caribbean Business Development in New York said: Last year (1997) 2 million tourists spent $2 billion in the D.R. And for the most part, these were non U.S. visitors! The majority of visitors (63%)come from Europe-and most stay longer (10 or more days) than in other countries. Similarly, more than 55% of hotel investors are European, and 50% of these investors are Spanish. Dominicans, with 31% ownership, are the second most prominent investor group. Only 16%!! of the Domonican Republic's tourists come from the U.S. and less than 2% of its hotel investment originates there. So.......

A

A. Nony Mouse

Re: American Tourists Wanted!

With the Dominican Republic at their door step, why do so few Americans visit here relative to the number of Europeans who have to take a twelve hour flight? Don't they even believe Sammy Sosa?

L

Lucy

In speaking to alot of my friends I find that alot of US kids today want to go to Amusement Parks - Unless its with the church group I rarely hear of anyone who goes camping, site-seeing (Nature) or just relaxing. This may be the problem - Their loss!

S

sean

The problem is actually less about national character than the fact that Canadians and Europeans take a lot of vacations using charter flights along with package vacations to the all-inclusive resorts. Mammoth travel "wholesalers" in these countries negotiate incredibly cheap rates with hotels and charter airlines for huge "blocks" of accommodation and transport, then peddle them to individual tourist in their home countries through local travel agents. Charters are a much more rare way to go in the United States, and American Airlines charges exorbitantly high rates to get to Santo Domingo or Puerto PLata from the United States. Thus the Dominican Republic has not yet registered as a major Caribbean destination in the States in large part because it's MORE expensive to get to the DR from the US than it is from Europe. And the airline corporations in America are working hard to keep charter companies down in the US.

A

American Male

2 thirty second commercials (One by Sosa aimed at Canadians by Apple Tours), one shorter one by Pedro Martinez.

No one markets the DR in the US effectively.

Another problem, US citizens are not as familiar with the DR as they should be, it is associated with Haiti. The need for a passport is also detrimental, many destinations (Mexico, US Virgins, several other Carib Islands) do not require a passprt.

I am not implying that US citizens should not need a passport, they are just accustomed to traveling within their own huge country with no barriers, or foriegn destinations that do not require a passport.

Also, most Dominican resorts are European owned and ctaer to and advertise for European and Sout American Clients.

It is too bad, there is obviously a lot of travel dollars in the US. We can travel from NYC to Cancun Mexico, spend a week in an all inclusive 4 star hotel for $499.99, while the same trip to the DR will cost at least twice that. In Canada, it is exactly the opposite, cheap to the DR, expensive to Mexico. MARKETING!!!

P

Patrick

Apple tours does not operate in Canada and sells no tour packages to Canadians so why would Apple direct their advertising at Canadians? All inclusive resorts in Mexico are priced on average 10% higher than a comparable resort in the Dominican Republic in Canadian tour books.

A

American Male

Strange that Apple offers no tours to Canadians but posts a Toronto phone number on the televison Adv and states that Canadians should call that number

R

rick

Last year (1997) 2 million tourists spent $2 billion in the D.R.!

Only 16% of the Domonican Republic's tourists come from the U.S.!

What percent of the $2 billion was spent by the 16% from the U.S.???

J

Julia

Re: How do you spell success? FOR RICK

Hi, Rick, you have to ask Mary Ramond, because this article comes from her. Maybe you ask the director of "The New Dominican Republic", Tel: 809-683-6633. E-mail:eek:pi-rd@codetel.net.do.

And yes, we fly cheap (Sean),in Oktober for about $350,- In Juli about $500,-, but now in December for $850,- and these are prices from Brussel, Belgium, 2 hours by car from Amsterdam!! From Amsterdam, the prices are higher. (just the flight). The all inclusiv arrangements are about 14 days im sommer $1.600,-p.p.in Playa Dorada (by 2 pers.room) and in winter about $2.500,- p.p.(by 2 pers.room)in Christmastime.

Greetings from JULIA

A

arcoiris

It is also true that the Dominicans get a lot of bad press and are basically unpopular in the US. Thus they get deported easily from here or confined to certain communities, have a very hard time getting visas to visit from the DR, and very few Americans want to visit them in the DR. The US has plenty of areas within its borders to vacation, and owns Puerto Rico, so doesn't need to go to a foreign resort, nor do many like the idea of being confined to the resort if they do go. Better marketing would be to give the Dominican people better press, as well as the country in general so that Americans could see reasons to go; like why they should choose the DR instead of Puerto Rico or Florida or Hawaii. The answer would not be that they have better resorts, but something unique in the Dominican culture and country intrinsically. By the way, I myself favor the DR. I love it and its people for reasons that the DR does have special things that no one else has. It is up to more people to discover those wonderful things.

A

American Male

"It is also true that the Dominicans get a lot of bad press and are basically unpopular in the US. Thus they get deported easily from here or confined to certain communities, have a very hard time getting visas to visit from the DR, and very few Americans want to visit them in the DR"

I find this a rather insulting and generalizing statement.

"They get a lot of bad press?" Only proportional to acts committed

"Deported easily from here?" No different than any other illegal or convicted felon

"Confined to certain communities?" That is too far fetched to answer, no one is confined unless it is a penal institution. Most immigrants CHOOSe to live with fellow immigrants as they feel a sense of community

"Very few Americans want to go visit them in the DR?" again you are making a statement with no foundation, the issue is and has been lack of exposure by tour companies to the American public

"A hard time getting visas" I must sadly agree with that statement, our Immigration Dept is very unfair

A

Andy

Arco,

For once I completely agree with you. Bad Press,...you got it look at Saturday's news,...students rioting over the University having to now pay for electricity, The Army in the barrios and at gas stations because of a 25% increase in the price of fuel,...Oh, and let's not forget the early 60's when we had to send troops here (and I lost some friends that were crew on the C-135 that was lost at Santo Domingo's airport). That "recent unpleasantness" still hasn't been forgotten.

Accessability: the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and the other islands in the Caribbean are easier and CHEAPER to get to from the U.S.

All-inclusive resorts that now dominate the DR are no cheaper than going to Florida resorts, where incidentially, service is much better and there is no fear, real or imagined, about leaving the property. And the Florida resorts have a lot more activities to offer.

Understand that I'm not advocating that U.S. tourists should go elsewhere,...as you know, my wife owns a hotel here in the DR. But until these problems and a lot of the anti-American sentiment that still exists here (and the BAD PRESS that goes with them) are solved, the DR will not be a major destination for U.S. citizens.

R

Rum runner

This is so easy. I am a world traveler and have been to many countries. One of the main reasons is. Drum roll please! The DR does not advertise in the US. When you ask most US residents about the DR. Most of them will say where? You tell them the other side of the island is Hati. Sorry to say it but Hati gets very bad press in the US (AIDS and such). Ask any US resident about Cancun and most people know where it is, or know people who have been there. I my self like to go to off beat places. So I love DR.

N

Natasha

Re: American Tourists Wanted! (ANDY)

Andy,

"Bad press"? Who in the US is going to know about the problems that affect the DR, except Dominicans that live in the US and are in tune to what is happening back home, or others that take an interest in the DR. The average American does not know anything about the DR, blame your world (a.k.a Europe) history and geography teachers for that. And as for that little "unpleasant" episode in 1965, I can only say that generally Dominicans don't tend to hold grudges ;-) In spite of that episode, we like Americans.

Now to the issue, Americans (most) don't come to the DR because they are afraid to visit a developing country. A developing country whose lanaguage is NOT English let's not forget. Why do think that you only hear Punta Cana, not Punta Cana, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. The word republic just does not appeal to Americans ;-) Many still think Trujillo is in power(LOL). Aside from all this is the fact that the DR has only just begun to market itself in the US.

I am glad you mentioned PR and the USVI because I have lived in both places in the past. San Juan and Charlotte Amalie are two places I wouldn't want ever to live in again due to crime. Even the "incident" in the Dupont Plaza Hotel did not deter tourists from coming to El Condado, these islands are the American paradise, remember? I say this because even with the bad press that this created for PR, it did not stop tourists from coming to the beaches.

Prices to the VI or PR are NOT necessarily cheaper. Sometimes an airline will have a "sale" to PR, that is basically it. ANY flight to the Caribbean (from the US) is going to cost you a ridiculous price, specially during peak season. Let's all blame AA for that. Customer service is still being taught in DR's tourism industry, I agree with you on that. But again, this relative, and could be related to culture/language differences.

Lastly, I think that saying that there should be no fears of leaving a Fla resort can be misleading because crime exists everywhere. The tourists at the Disney hotels who are constantly robbed of their valuables in their own rooms, and those that were killed even before reaching Fla beaches would certainly disagree. I like Fla a whole lot, specially Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys (don't care for Miami at all). Don't know if this makes much sense, but just my two cheles :)

Natasha

J

jim

i don't know where you people get your info but the DR is very well known in the north east,and as far as prices if you can leave on short notice you can get a package deal to santo domingo from BOSTON for 1 wk.for just under 500.00 and sometimes cheaper,depending on how full the plane is becouse they would rather sell it at a discount then let it go empty.

L

Lorenzo

Guess we better all move to Boston, cause it's not cheap from Dallas. I for one am glad the DR hasn't been discovered by Americans! And I agree that it isn't well known - the name just doesn't sound romantic - so let the American tourists go to Cancun or anywhere else & let's preserve this for ourselves - kinda selfish, huh

J

John

i agree lorenzo,i go away to get away from it all the last place i want to go is a resort full of americans.if i wanted to see americans ill just stay home.also i think were some kind of novelty down there.keep it under your hat.........

T

Tom

Re: American Tourists Wanted!/Apple Tours

Apple Tours (The one that does not sell tours in Canada) invites you to call 1800 494 5050 in Toronto. They must have an office in Canada to service American Citizens?

Tom