How much can I get paid?

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
O.K. here is my story, I have lived in NYC all my life I travel to DR every 6 months to visit girlfiiends and relatives, now, im interested in moving to DR sometime in the future but not sure when to make that move. I have seen many consierge positions available at resorts. now my question is...
How much can i get paid?
Will they give me room and board?

this particular question is for the ladies who know me personally...
can i qualify as a sankie? for extra money that is.

P1

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
p1atan0 said:
. I have seen many consierge positions available at resorts. now my question is...
How much can i get paid?

P1

That depends on what you are delivering in your consierge service. :laugh:

I don't know you but how good are you? I mean at delivering BS that is. :laugh:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
p1atan0 said:
O.K. here is my story, I have lived in NYC all my life I travel to DR every 6 months to visit girlfiiends and relatives, now, im interested in moving to DR sometime in the future but not sure when to make that move. I have seen many consierge positions available at resorts. now my question is...
How much can i get paid?
Will they give me room and board?

P1

Guest services/front desk RD$12,000 (US$400) monthly.
Usually you need to be tri-lingual or at worst, fully bi-lingual.

Bell boy about RD$8,000 (US$260) monthly without tips.

Sometimes they provide room and board.
The rooms are usually bad and away from the resort.
Large low end doorm complex.

Now you know why you have seen many consierge positions.

Good luck!

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Anna and Robert thank you for your input.

Anna, at BS im terrible cause im verry shy.

Robert, RD$14,000.00? I pay more for my son's summer camp than that. The way I see it, I'm never gonna live in DR. :cry:

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
p1atan0 said:
Anna and Robert thank you for your input.

Anna, at BS im terrible cause im verry shy.

Robert, RD$14,000.00? I pay more for my son's summer camp than that. The way I see it, I'm never gonna live in DR. :cry:

can't compare DR with US... RD$14k a month in DR nowadays is good enough.
there are many people making RD$3k a month... imajine that!!

with RD$14-20k i would move... working part time of course.. jajaja.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
hmmmm, still thinking about it

Perhaps your right! I think im gonna try and apply for a job at Blackbeards Resort. They were offering an assistant manager possition not too long ago i wish i could have applied for that one ;)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you are going to give it a try based on what you learned from this thread, jou had better leave instructions with someone in NY how to Western Union money to you. RD$14,000 per month is a generous DR salary On that you can live a Dominican middle-class life. This is not an American middle-class life. Don't expect to pay housing costs, food, transportation and expect to have anything left for entertaiment except for a Presidente or two.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
HOWMAR said:
If you are going to give it a try based on what you learned from this thread, jou had better leave instructions with someone in NY how to Western Union money to you. RD$14,000 per month is a generous DR salary On that you can live a Dominican middle-class life. This is not an American middle-class life. Don't expect to pay housing costs, food, transportation and expect to have anything left for entertaiment except for a Presidente or two.

Then how would this be middle class?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
xamaicano said:
Then how would this be middle class?
Because people that earn middle class incomes in the DR don't own cars, eat at restaurants, have air conditioners, go on vacation, go to the movies, etc. My point was that you can earn a middle class Dominican salary, but have to live at Dominican middle-class standards. Most foreigners are used to a better stamdard of living. If they were to earn approx. RD$65 per hour. They have to work an hour to purchase a 2 liter bottle of soda. Work 2 hours to buy a box of candy. Work 6 hours to buy a Burger King extra value meal. Your life style changes. But, this way of life is the Dominican middle-class.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HOWMAR said:
Because people that earn middle class incomes in the DR don't own cars, eat at restaurants, have air conditioners, go on vacation, go to the movies, etc. My point was that you can earn a middle class Dominican salary, but have to live at Dominican middle-class standards. Most foreigners are used to a better stamdard of living. If they were to earn approx. RD$65 per hour. They have to work an hour to purchase a 2 liter bottle of soda. Work 2 hours to buy a box of candy. Work 6 hours to buy a Burger King extra value meal. Your life style changes. But, this way of life is the Dominican middle-class.

They are not the middle-class Dominicans I know.
All the families I know, have cars, own their homes and their kids are in private schools.
In Santo Domingo they live in Bella Vista, Gazcue, Los Cacicagoz etc etc.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a broad spectrum which also includes a whole lot of people with university degrees, or at least high school graduates, e.g. bank employees who may earn as little as RD$10,000 a month. They consider themselves middle class but can no way afford the lifestyle.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Robert said:
They are not the middle-class Dominicans I know.
All the families I know, have cars, own their homes and their kids are in private schools.
In Santo Domingo they live in Bella Vista, Gazcue, Los Cacicagoz etc etc.
I guess I consider the middle class the people who fall in the middle of the income curve. Lets say + or - a standard deviation from the national median income. Certainly the people which you describe cannot afford the luxuries you mention and be part of the middle class.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
living at the resort

Actually ill try living at the resort.

Drinks = free
Food = free
Transportation = free
Entertainment =free

ill live like a king

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
p1atan0 said:

Drinks = free
Food = free
Transportation = free
Entertainment =free

ill live like a king
Until Daddy cuts you off.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
p1atan0 said:

Drinks = free
Food = free
Transportation = free
Entertainment =free

ill live like a king

Will you be able to drink that Johnnie Black Label you are used to drinking for free too?

Larry

Last edited:

Natash

Jul 24, 2005
This is interesting

Please keep us posted on your job hunt...Particularly, I'd love to know if you found resorts willing to pay you 14K a month and provide you with room and board on top of that...
Those sound like reasonable terms for a foreigner to get started in the DR..without free room and board, it seems like 14K wont be enough.
I am sure there are threads on this topic but would someone be kind enough to post here how much one might pay to rent a reasonably clean, small apartment in a safe area on the northern coast?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Natash said:
Please keep us posted on your job hunt...Particularly, I'd love to know if you found resorts willing to pay you 14K a month and provide you with room and board on top of that...
Those sound like reasonable terms for a foreigner to get started in the DR..without free room and board, it seems like 14K wont be enough.
I am sure there are threads on this topic but would someone be kind enough to post here how much one might pay to rent a reasonably clean, small apartment in a safe area on the northern coast?
First, he'll never find a resort job that will pay 14,000 plus room and board. Granted you will hear some jobs which pay on commission pay more, but this is for the busy months, i.e. Jan., Feb, July and August. They don't tell you about the other 8 months when they make zilch.
Second, most apartments in POP are not furnished. For 6000-8000 per month you will need to provide furniture, stove, refrigerator, hot water heater, etc. In POP you can get a furnished efficiency room for about 4,500.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
commision? Hmmmmm

If they offer me commicion, Ill be rich, thats if i work at blackbeards because ill bring all my lesbian friends to hang at that freaky resort. Woo hooo!