Newness

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Greetings all...

For the past three days I been in here reading your threads and decided to join. I want to say this... I'm in need of some serious info as pertaining to DR. I been thinking deeply on leaving my god forsaken country (USA) and move elsewhere! So I figured since I'm into the tropics and warm people it was either Spain, Southern Italy, or Barranquilla Columbia.

So as you may see I have a few choices to figure out on where I would love to spend the rest of my life!

I am looking to understand and learn some things that might help me with starting a small business and just general stuff. So I am really hoping that you all can help me out... hell, I would even like to make a few good friends! I'm now residing in Atlanta Ga... but I been here way to long and looking to get the hell away from here (and America itself).

So lets chat...

Mem ;)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Do your homework, wherever you decide to go.

It is much more desireable to be running to something than away from something else.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2002
Memon,

Please be sensitive about anything that might be deemed a slight of your native country. There are expats with fangs ready to pounce on this board. Of course, you are entitled to your opinions and dreams. Escott is right to this extent, it is extremely rare that "escapist" Americans make it in business in the DR.

Though I wouldn't want to discourage you from checking out the DR, you should know that business in the DR is not easy and it's not "regular". The running joke is: "How did the American get a $5M business in Santo Domingo? ............................................He started with $10M!"

Read the posts, check out the archives and, most of all, be wary.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Welcome to DR1 Memon7!

Maybe you could give us some more details about yourself and a general idea of what you are looking for. For example; do you prefer the country side or the beaches, what kind of business are you looking into, have you been here before, are you coming alone or with a family....etc....little things that can get us going! Use the search button, you will find lots of neat information! ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Memon7 said:
Greetings all...

For the past three days I been in here reading your threads and decided to join. I want to say this... I'm in need of some serious info as pertaining to DR. I been thinking deeply on leaving my god forsaken country (USA) and move elsewhere! So I figured since I'm into the tropics and warm people it was either Spain, Southern Italy, or Barranquilla Columbia.

So as you may see I have a few choices to figure out on where I would love to spend the rest of my life!

I am looking to understand and learn some things that might help me with starting a small business and just general stuff. So I am really hoping that you all can help me out... hell, I would even like to make a few good friends! I'm now residing in Atlanta Ga... but I been here way to long and looking to get the hell away from here (and America itself).

So lets chat...

Mem ;)

Don't waste your time and resources thinking about doing business in the DR until you have lived here and really understand how it functions etc.

In the meantime, do as much research as possible on moving and living here for a 6-12 months to test the waters.

The message board is a wealth of information, take the time to use the search function and educate yourself.

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
More About Me???

juanita said:
Welcome to DR1 Memon7!

Maybe you could give us some more details about yourself and a general idea of what you are looking for. For example; do you prefer the country side or the beaches, what kind of business are you looking into, have you been here before, are you coming alone or with a family....etc....little things that can get us going! Use the search button, you will find lots of neat information! ;)

Hhmmm... okay but first I want to say that I have been doing just as the few of you requested of me and that is to read the threads. Although I have my own thoughts of reasoning... at best i find most of the threads entertaining. Not to say that most of whats being conveyed is silly and negative but... "BUT"... it seem like (at least 89%) of the subject matter is about how someone was burned while in the DR!

And When I said I wanted to get the hell out of American has nothing to do with "escaping" my reality here... but it has more to do with my sanity I'm trying to keep intact. Hell every last person on this board should know how fukked up America is... I mean any day now this place will go up in one big 9/11... I'm just trying to get out while I still have the skin on my ***! I figured the last place that on earth to be livable is either South America or Alaska... so being that I HATE cold weather it looks like DR is the place for me!

Now a bit more about me... first and foremost... I'm a HUSTLER by nature! I'm always thinking up ways of making "cream" (that means "money" in the HOOD) so finding work is the least of my worries or problems once I'm in DR. Hell if I have to sell fish to Vegetarians then that's what I will do... and beleive me I have to will and mind to sell bubble gum to toothless old women!!!! ;)

But on a more serious note... my business is graphic arts. I was a fashion photographer do ten years here in Atlanta. I'm also versed in finances with a minor in psychology. So as you see I could go either "legit" or I could go corrupt with my business! Please lets not forget that coming from America and being bread with a "Capitalist" mentality I will no doubt see opportunity in almost everything. I'm willing to work for les but I would surely make up the "less" with more then one hustle/business going on!

I would love to share more but why give away my ideas to yall for FREE?

You see that was just a little money making pitch right there ;)

No but really... I just want a change of living... and it seem like (outside living in New Mexico), people everywhere are tired of the RAT RACE of their motherland and want something a bit more fullfilling. I know there is more to life then just making money... hell, I want to enjoy my life a bit more and if that mean living in another country then I'm gonna do it!

Yall feel me?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Memon7 said:
Hhmmm... okay but first I want to say that I have been doing just as the few of you requested of me and that is to read the threads. Although I have my own thoughts of reasoning... at best i find most of the threads entertaining. Not to say that most of whats being conveyed is silly and negative but... "BUT"... it seem like (at least 89%) of the subject matter is about how someone was burned while in the DR!

And When I said I wanted to get the hell out of American has nothing to do with "escaping" my reality here... but it has more to do with my sanity I'm trying to keep intact. Hell every last person on this board should know how fukked up America is... I mean any day now this place will go up in one big 9/11... I'm just trying to get out while I still have the skin on my ***! I figured the last place that on earth to be livable is either South America or Alaska... so being that I HATE cold weather it looks like DR is the place for me!

Now a bit more about me... first and foremost... I'm a HUSTLER by nature! I'm always thinking up ways of making "cream" (that means "money" in the HOOD) so finding work is the least of my worries or problems once I'm in DR. Hell if I have to sell fish to Vegetarians then that's what I will do... and beleive me I have to will and mind to sell bubble gum to toothless old women!!!! ;)

But on a more serious note... my business is graphic arts. I was a fashion photographer do ten years here in Atlanta. I'm also versed in finances with a minor in psychology. So as you see I could go either "legit" or I could go corrupt with my business! Please lets not forget that coming from America and being bread with a "Capitalist" mentality I will no doubt see opportunity in almost everything. I'm willing to work for les but I would surely make up the "less" with more then one hustle/business going on!

I would love to share more but why give away my ideas to yall for FREE?

You see that was just a little money making pitch right there ;)

No but really... I just want a change of living... and it seem like (outside living in New Mexico), people everywhere are tired of the RAT RACE of their motherland and want something a bit more fullfilling. I know there is more to life then just making money... hell, I want to enjoy my life a bit more and if that mean living in another country then I'm gonna do it!

Yall feel me?
89% of the subject matter is about people who have been burned here because 89% (probably more) of people who go into business here have been burned. If you consider yourself in that successful 11% after all your research, experience and education, good luck.

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Hmmmm...

HOWMAR said:
89% of the subject matter is about people who have been burned here because 89% (probably more) of people who go into business here have been burned. If you consider yourself in that successful 11% after all your research, experience and education, good luck.

I see!

Well Howmar, are you now in DR??? And if so are you (or have you been) in business??? Are you having any luck???

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Memon7 said:

Other than sounding like pure cornpone you have not met hustlers until you have tried to be cool daddy in the DR. Go there first, live a while , get acquainted. You won't last 15 minutes with this attitude. I am not sure of a burgeoning demand for graphic arts and fashion photographers in a country with an average wage of US$100 a month.

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Huh???

ricktoronto said:
Other than sounding like pure cornpone you have not met hustlers until you have tried to be cool daddy in the DR. Go there first, live a while , get acquainted. You won't last 15 minutes with this attitude. I am not sure of a burgeoning demand for graphic arts and fashion photographers in a country with an average wage of US$100 a month.

I'm not understanding you here.

Not trying to be a "Cool Daddy"... my mentioning of being a "Hustler" has nothing to do with making a quick buck! I meant "Hustle" as in (as I stated above)... I'm always looking out for a great opportunity! As far as what I do here, I'm not saying I would make my money doing the same thing in DR. I would shot work and "import" my images outside... or even import my painting out of DR.

But what I'm seeing here is the ones that posted a reply have nothing but negative verbs, adjectives, nouns, and everything else to state when on the subject of DR.

The real question now... for those that are in DR and posting negative vibes... then if it's so bad in the DR then why in the hell are yall still there?

And what attitude are you referring that I have?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have you ever lived in the DR? No.
Have you ever done business in the DR? No.

Some of us on this board live and work in the DR, so we have a pretty good idea what we are talking about, because we talk from personal experience.

I have seen more people come and go, get burned and eased out of their money in the DR, than any other of the 7 countries I have lived and worked in. I've seen players and hustlers run home after loosing everything because they didn't get a clue and thought they knew how things work here. Dominicans invented the word "hustle".

As some of us have already said very clearly. Come and live here for 6 months, then start thinking about business opportunities.

This is the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic on the planet.
Be nice and humble and it will give back more than you ever imagined and save you US$1000's!

Come here with an attitude... then expect it to be thrown back in your face.

Ok, now we have got that out of the way...
What do you want to know about moving and living here for 6-12 months?

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Yeah okay...

Robert said:
Have you ever lived in the DR? No.
Have you ever done business in the DR? No.

Some of us on this board live and work in the DR, so we have a pretty good idea what we are talking about, because we talk from personal experience.

I have seen more people come and go, get burned and eased out of their money in the DR, than any other of the 7 countries I have lived and worked in. I've seen players and hustlers run home after loosing everything because they didn't get a clue and thought they knew how things work here. Dominicans invented the word "hustle".

As some of us have already said very clearly. Come and live here for 6 months, then start thinking about business opportunities.

This is the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic on the planet.
Be nice and humble and it will give back more than you ever imagined and save you US$1000's!

Come here with an attitude... then expect it to be thrown back in your face.

Ok, now we have got that out of the way...
What do you want to know about moving and living here for 6-12 months?

Hold up...

First you don't know me from a glass of water, where I've lived in the world, or whether or not I've ever done business with people in the Caibbean!

I'm not gonna get into no silly discussion with people like yoursel so with that said... I'm gonna do what I do best... and that's create opportunities for me and whoever is in my inner circle. Life possibilities are too infinite and my experiences may far exceed yours, but if you have read my first (and second thread) you would have OVERstood what I am trying to accomplish.

And what "attitude" are you referring to? I have no additude... I think it might be coming from your direction partner!

I do thank you for your two cent (for all that it's worth)... you stay up.

Peace

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Welcome to DR1

The reason you are getting so much negativity about going into business here as a newbie, is because it is genuinely difficult, no matter who or how good you are.
What Robert said to you about living here for 6 months to year first, is priceless info.
He is, btw, considered to be the "wise one" around these parts, and despite you not liking the way he might say something to you, it would be better to have him as an ally in your quest.
Escott is similar in that way. If he has adivice for you, you can bet that it's good sound advice, but he may not say it in a nice diplomatic fashion.