Looking for Roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalston20

Sep 20, 2004
I am a single female looking for same to share a furnished 2.5 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment on a quiet, residential street in Gazcue. Located near several banks, restaurants, a supermarket, and public transportation. Apartment will be available in September. There is a reliable generator and water supply. Rent is $500 (total) + utilities.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
aalston20, since you are new to the board, thought you'd like to know you only need to post in one section. Most posters check on all sections, so only one thread on a subject is all that is necessary.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
aalston20 said:
I am a single female looking for same to share a furnished 2.5 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment on a quiet, residential street in Gazcue. Located near several banks, restaurants, a supermarket, and public transportation. Apartment will be available in September. There is a reliable generator and water supply. Rent is $500 (total) + utilities.

is that 500 US dollars a month + util????
in DR??? sharing it??

that must be a mansion.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
THE GAME said:
in DR??? sharing it??

that must be a mansion.

How much should she be paying for a furnished 2.5 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment in Gazcue?

Have you looked in the local newspapers lately or asked around?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
THE GAME said:
in DR??? sharing it??

that must be a mansion.

What factual basis do you have for your statement?

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Robert said:
How much should she be paying for a furnished 2.5 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment in Gazcue?

Have you looked in the local newspapers lately or asked around?

but the OP was asking for a roommate; i'm not familiar
with rates but i just found it to be too high.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If $250 a month per person is a lot of money,I bet you live in a real nice barrio!

Gazcue is one of the nicest areas in La Capital.

There must be a medical term for the disease of compulsive uneducated responses on a message board.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
THE GAME said:
factual-- none.

i just found it to be too high for a roommate, even
in gazcue or other nice, fancy neighb in dr.
That's why Mercedes has their customers and Kia has their customers.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Tamborista said:
If $250 a month per person is a lot of money,I bet you live in a real nice barrio!

Gazcue is one of the nicest areas in La Capital.

There must be a medical term for the disease of compulsive uneducated responses on a message board.

right, you're correct.

that's why i don't live in a barrio or dr.

but where?
if you're educated then you should know what's the
capital of the world.

(i was born in a barrio,, so i know what is to live in
a country like dr,, not like other people that retire to dr
and never lived in barrio in their lives).

besides, i was just reacting to something,, not putting facts. Relax guys.

p.s.
true i might not know dr rental rates,, i just gave my opinion about the rate,, doesn't mean that it was a fact.
everybody posting things on DR1 or any forum provide
their opinion, not facts. I might be ignorant about dr rates but there's a way to correct that in a nice way. Nothing wrong with being ignorant. Every day one learns something new.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
THE GAME said:
and that's why dr has its customers (retirees)
(lower cost of living)
Exactly my point. That $500 per month apartment in SD would be $2000 in Miami. Also, a $300 per month room in Miami would be $80 in SD. But, why question the price of $500 per month in SD unless you place it in context of what a comparable is elsewhere?

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
HOWMAR said:
Exactly my point. That $500 per month apartment in SD would be $2000 in Miami. Also, a $300 per month room in Miami would be $80 in SD. But, why question the price of $500 per month in SD unless you place it in context of what a comparable is elsewhere?

i thought it was $500 for the roommate, not 250 each.
that's why i gave my opinion..... 250 a month is great.. that i know... i would take it if i was in SD.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
THE GAME said:
right, you're correct.

that's why i don't live in a barrio or dr.

but where?
if you're educated then you should know what's the
capital of the world.

(i was born in a barrio,, so i know what is to live in
a country like dr,, not like other people that retire to dr
and never lived in barrio in their lives).

besides, i was just reacting to something,, not putting facts. Relax guys.

p.s.
true i might not know dr rental rates,, i just gave my opinion about the rate,, doesn't mean that it was a fact.
everybody posting things on DR1 or any forum provide
their opinion, not facts. I might be ignorant about dr rates but there's a way to correct that in a nice way. Nothing wrong with being ignorant. Every day one learns something new.
Thing about being ignorant is that "if you keep your mouth shut" no one knows. You didn't have to let the cat out of the bag and then have rightous indignation about the response you get.

You are going to be popular around here! LOL

I only speak about things I know about. When someone asks me about something I don't, I say "I Dont know" and there is no shame in that. I then wait for someone else to answer and then I learn something without making a fool out of myself.

Escott

PS> no one cares where you live or where you come from when you make ignorant statements.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
What the?????

There are times when I find some responses to posts to be interesting. Other times I find them to be odd. And other times I find them to be outright questionable.

That someone would express surprise at the price of $500 (though US$ or DR peso was not made clear) and have that followed up with with the statement that he or she is from the ghetto, whether they are or not, makes me question the mentality of some of the folks who are a part of this web community.

I, too, was under the impression that the cost was US $500 per person and knowing that that is generally the cost here in the states for a roommate, and that, usually, a price quoted is per roommate as opposed to the total price for the unit, found it to be a bit high as well. Thank god I didn't express my surprise, as The Game did. And this coming from someone (myself) who, though born and raised in the ghetto, now lives in a neighborhood of half million dollar homes here in the states.

So, true, some of us don't live in the ghetto. But, what the hell does that have to do with being surprised at the price of living in a particular area of the DR? I think if a mistake was made it was that the OP wasn't very clear and specific in providing details. When the point was made about the cost being "$500 (total)" one would have to question, as The Game did, whether or not that is $500 total for the unit, or $500 total for the roommate? Nor was it indicated whether or not this was in peso or US$. My point is that the original post could most certainly have been interpreted in more than one way, as has obviously been done. And, yet, much has been made of The Game's reply. I suspect that there is more to the responses generated by his reply than there appears to be.

All I can say is that I am grateful for having already met some people on this board who have shown themselves to be kind, genuine, and accepting, rather than the overt and covert bigots who tend to appear from time to time. I am really surprised, and disappointed in many ways, by some of the replies that I have read here.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
I am a single female looking for same

By the title of her thread it would seem to me that it would only be appropriate for females to respond.............
She did mention in the first post that it was 500(total) I would take that as the "whole" apartment.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
You're right

That is how you would take it. However, it is obviously not how everyone would take it. As I mentioned in my previous post, any time I've seen an ad soliciting a roommate, whether it be here in the states, the DR, or anywhere else for that matter, the price quoted usually relates to the cost for the roommate, not the unit as a whole.

I realize the OP stated "$500 (total)". But, again, total what? Total for the unit, or total for the prospective roommate?

Status
Not open for further replies.