Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Kids and tap water!

I thought I would write this for the newbies on board. I think it is important to know that water in the DR can be harmful, especially for little girls. A friend of mine, a single dad, was telling me how he gives bubble baths daily to his daughter, well, this is a big NO, NO! Girls will get urine infections from sitting in the water. Also it is dangerous for ear infections, I learned that this week! With the heat we are having these days, I was putting out a small pool for Juanitita to refresh in (adding a couple of drops of bleach to the water to purify it). In no time she had a bad ear infection. Last night I took her to the “Clinic Independencia” emergency to have a doctor look at it. 15 minutes later, I was out of there with a prescription in my hand and Juanitita with a sore butt from the injection. I would recommend this Clinic anytime for small emergencies; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a Doctor to attend us, and with my insurance it all came out to $42 pesos!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juanita
    I thought I would write this for the newbies on board. I think it is important to know that water in the DR can be harmful, especially for little girls. A friend of mine, a single dad, was telling me how he gives bubble baths daily to his daughter, well, this is a big NO, NO! Girls will get urine infections from sitting in the water. Also it is dangerous for ear infections, I learned that this week! With the heat we are having these days, I was putting out a small pool for Juanitita to refresh in (adding a couple of drops of bleach to the water to purify it). In no time she had a bad ear infection. Last night I took her to the “Clinic Independencia” emergency to have a doctor look at it. 15 minutes later, I was out of there with a prescription in my hand and Juanitita with a sore butt from the injection. I would recommend this Clinic anytime for small emergencies; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a Doctor to attend us, and with my insurance it all came out to $42 pesos!
    Good post.
    No tap water, I agree. If you have to use it, put a few drops of Purisma in.
    Available at any pharmacy.

Doctor of Diplomacy
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by carina
    Good post.
    No tap water, I agree. If you have to use it, put a few drops of Purisma in.
    Available at any pharmacy.
    My mom used to feed me lead paint chips and flouridated water. I turned out fine.

Scandall

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scandall
    My mom used to feed me lead paint chips and flouridated water. I turned out fine.

Scandall
    No you didn't! I know you...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Agree That It Is Good To Be Careful.And Adding a "LITTLE" Cloro to the pool can't h

But there is no need to scare anyone into not letting their children,girls & boys, from taking a bath,or swimming in a pool in the DR.My experience with 2 boys and two girls,is that we have had no ear infections and no urinary tract infections,and the girls LOVE to play in the bathtub,and our tiny inflatable pool.My son who grew up in Boston must have had 25 ear infections.He was "Breast Fed" on Amoxicilline! Truth is, it is almost impossible to know where most infections come from."Swimming Pool Ear" is common amoung children who are in the water a lot anywhere.It is important to ask your doctor if the infection is in the "inner" ear,or the "External" ear.If you are really concerned,you need to have a culture taken,and tested with various "Anti-biotics" to see which drug can "kill" the infection.Most infectuions will "go away" all by themselves in a few days.Without the culture and sensitivity testing you will never know if the patient got better "Because Of",or "Inspite of" the anti-biotic treatment.

"Disclaimer to follow!"
    I am posting this info because I want people to relax and enjoy the water in the DR,not because I am trying to prove anything to anyone,condem anyone,say anyone did something wrong,or show how "bright" I am! (We ALL Know THAT Already!)Is that enough??

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Doctor of Diplomacy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    But there is no need to scare anyone into not letting their children,girls & boys, from taking a bath,or swimming in a pool in the DR.My experience with 2 boys and two girls,is that we have had no ear infections and no urinary tract infections,and the girls LOVE to play in the bathtub,and our tiny inflatable pool.My son who grew up in Boston must have had 25 ear infections.He was "Breast Fed" on Amoxicilline! Truth is, it is almost impossible to know where most infections come from."Swimming Pool Ear" is common amoung children who are in the water a lot anywhere.It is important to ask your doctor if the infection is in the "inner" ear,or the "External" ear.If you are really concerned,you need to have a culture taken,and tested with various "Anti-biotics" to see which drug can "kill" the infection.Most infectuions will "go away" all by themselves in a few days.Without the culture and sensitivity testing you will never know if the patient got better "Because Of",or "Inspite of" the anti-biotic treatment.

"Disclaimer to follow!"
    I am posting this info because I want people to relax and enjoy the water in the DR,not because I am trying to prove anything to anyone,condem anyone,say anyone did something wrong,or show how "bright" I am! (We ALL Know THAT Already!)Is that enough??

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I am offended by the jovial way in which you posted your disclaimer. You should be more sensitive.

Scandall

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Criss Colon, my point was not to scare anyone but more to inform them. This doesn’t mean that I won't let Juanitita get into her pool or take a bath; it just means that I will take more precautions and will have a better idea what to expect!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile i appreciate the info given

[FONT=Verdana]i have a 2 year old who loves water, so this kind of information is very useful for me and her. I will make sure to stop by a pharmacy when there to pick up some bleach for the water.

question once you put bleach in the water how safe is it then?
    another question is the water like in mexico will you get sick from it if you drink it??[/FONT]

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jalene0214
    [FONT=Verdana]another question is the water like in mexico will you get sick from it if you drink it??[/FONT]
    Only drink (and brush you teeth) with bottled water.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile ok

[FONT=Verdana]so then should i bring bottled water from here or is it as cheap there?[/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast