Kids and tap water!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I thought I would write this for the newbies on board. I think it is important to know that water in the DR can be harmful, especially for little girls. A friend of mine, a single dad, was telling me how he gives bubble baths daily to his daughter, well, this is a big NO, NO! Girls will get urine infections from sitting in the water. Also it is dangerous for ear infections, I learned that this week! With the heat we are having these days, I was putting out a small pool for Juanitita to refresh in (adding a couple of drops of bleach to the water to purify it). In no time she had a bad ear infection. Last night I took her to the ?Clinic Independencia? emergency to have a doctor look at it. 15 minutes later, I was out of there with a prescription in my hand and Juanitita with a sore butt from the injection. I would recommend this Clinic anytime for small emergencies; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a Doctor to attend us, and with my insurance it all came out to $42 pesos! ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
juanita said:
I thought I would write this for the newbies on board. I think it is important to know that water in the DR can be harmful, especially for little girls. A friend of mine, a single dad, was telling me how he gives bubble baths daily to his daughter, well, this is a big NO, NO! Girls will get urine infections from sitting in the water. Also it is dangerous for ear infections, I learned that this week! With the heat we are having these days, I was putting out a small pool for Juanitita to refresh in (adding a couple of drops of bleach to the water to purify it). In no time she had a bad ear infection. Last night I took her to the ?Clinic Independencia? emergency to have a doctor look at it. 15 minutes later, I was out of there with a prescription in my hand and Juanitita with a sore butt from the injection. I would recommend this Clinic anytime for small emergencies; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a Doctor to attend us, and with my insurance it all came out to $42 pesos! ;)

Good post.
No tap water, I agree. If you have to use it, put a few drops of Purisma in.
Available at any pharmacy.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
carina said:
Good post.
No tap water, I agree. If you have to use it, put a few drops of Purisma in.
Available at any pharmacy.

My mom used to feed me lead paint chips and flouridated water. I turned out fine. ;)

Scandall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Agree That It Is Good To Be Careful.And Adding a "LITTLE" Cloro to the pool can't h

But there is no need to scare anyone into not letting their children,girls & boys, from taking a bath,or swimming in a pool in the DR.My experience with 2 boys and two girls,is that we have had no ear infections and no urinary tract infections,and the girls LOVE to play in the bathtub,and our tiny inflatable pool.My son who grew up in Boston must have had 25 ear infections.He was "Breast Fed" on Amoxicilline! Truth is, it is almost impossible to know where most infections come from."Swimming Pool Ear" is common amoung children who are in the water a lot anywhere.It is important to ask your doctor if the infection is in the "inner" ear,or the "External" ear.If you are really concerned,you need to have a culture taken,and tested with various "Anti-biotics" to see which drug can "kill" the infection.Most infectuions will "go away" all by themselves in a few days.Without the culture and sensitivity testing you will never know if the patient got better "Because Of",or "Inspite of" the anti-biotic treatment.

"Disclaimer to follow!"
I am posting this info because I want people to relax and enjoy the water in the DR,not because I am trying to prove anything to anyone,condem anyone,say anyone did something wrong,or show how "bright" I am! (We ALL Know THAT Already!)Is that enough??

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Criss Colon said:
But there is no need to scare anyone into not letting their children,girls & boys, from taking a bath,or swimming in a pool in the DR.My experience with 2 boys and two girls,is that we have had no ear infections and no urinary tract infections,and the girls LOVE to play in the bathtub,and our tiny inflatable pool.My son who grew up in Boston must have had 25 ear infections.He was "Breast Fed" on Amoxicilline! Truth is, it is almost impossible to know where most infections come from."Swimming Pool Ear" is common amoung children who are in the water a lot anywhere.It is important to ask your doctor if the infection is in the "inner" ear,or the "External" ear.If you are really concerned,you need to have a culture taken,and tested with various "Anti-biotics" to see which drug can "kill" the infection.Most infectuions will "go away" all by themselves in a few days.Without the culture and sensitivity testing you will never know if the patient got better "Because Of",or "Inspite of" the anti-biotic treatment.

"Disclaimer to follow!"
I am posting this info because I want people to relax and enjoy the water in the DR,not because I am trying to prove anything to anyone,condem anyone,say anyone did something wrong,or show how "bright" I am! (We ALL Know THAT Already!)Is that enough??

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I am offended by the jovial way in which you posted your disclaimer. You should be more sensitive.

Scandall

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Criss Colon, my point was not to scare anyone but more to inform them. This doesn?t mean that I won't let Juanitita get into her pool or take a bath; it just means that I will take more precautions and will have a better idea what to expect!

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
i appreciate the info given

i have a 2 year old who loves water, so this kind of information is very useful for me and her. I will make sure to stop by a pharmacy when there to pick up some bleach for the water.

question once you put bleach in the water how safe is it then?
another question is the water like in mexico will you get sick from it if you drink it??

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jalene0214 said:
another question is the water like in mexico will you get sick from it if you drink it??
Only drink (and brush you teeth) with bottled water.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When I was 10, I caught viral meningitis from a local paddling pool in England.
Water can be a problem in many countries.

Yes, you have to be careful here, water can be a problem, especially for visitors. They just can't take all the lovely bugs and stuff we have :)

I personally shower, brush my teeth, wash my veggies and even make tea with water out of the tap in my apartment. I guess my body has adapted as I cannot recall getting sick related to the water.

If your a visitor, then please take all the necessary precautions.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jalene0214 said:
so then should i bring bottled water from here or is it as cheap there?

Bottled water is sold everywhere here.
Most families exchange 5 gallon bottles or "DR Evian" for RD$35 (US$1.20) at the local Colmado :)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
rellosk said:
Only drink (and brush you teeth) with bottled water.

Hu?! I've been brushing my teeth with tap water for three years without and problems .... and my daughter (4 years old) gets a daily bath - sometimes TWO a day ... never had any problems. :)

We cook with and drink bottled water though.

After reading this thread I may just get our water tested, just in case.

Stay well,
Amy

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
alittle off topic

besides the water i heard about the meat for example is the chicken tough?
like in nyc we dont need to boil it to soften it some told me that the chicken tends to be harsh and gamey... is this true? :paranoid:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Drinking Water In The DR Can Be DEADLY!!!!!!!!!

I know a man who died the very day he drank a large glass of water from the "tap" in the DR!!!!!!!
They never did find the truck that killed him!!
If I were a "Tourist",I would drink "bottled" water during my stay in the DR.We "Locals" get used to the local "Flora and Fauna" over the years,so a little local tap water won't hurt us. Saying that,I use bottled water in my house because we have "babies" and "Oldies" who are not as resistant as the rest of us.In most cases,it is NOT THE WATER that will make you sick,it is the "Oral Fecal Contamination"!!!!!!!!Like sticking your fingers in your mouth,after you shake hands with a woman who just took a "Dump" got "some" on her hand,didn't bother to really wash her hands,and shook hands with you!!! "Yummie"!
You may know where your hands have been,"BUTT" do you know where mine have been???????????????????????????? :eek:

Additional Disclaimer addendum: Not saying YOU,or anyone is TRYING to SCARE anyone,My "Oral Fecal" hypothetical should take care of that!!

Tip to mothers who have baby,and young daughters,and ALL Women who may not have heard this!!! Wipe your "BUM" from front to back,to avoid draging fecal matter into your "Toto"! ;) This "Cross-Contamination is the source of many young girls urinary/vaginal infections. :cry:
How do I know this stuff???? :eek:
cc

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
jalene0214 said:
besides the water i heard about the meat for example is the chicken tough?
like in nyc we dont need to boil it to soften it some told me that the chicken tends to be harsh and gamey... is this true? :paranoid:

The chicken is fine, it's the red meat that you will learn to choose well. Most cut will come up like rubber if you don't know the tricks to cook it, but than if you buy cuts like: Punta de Palomilla, FM... you won't have any problem!

Criss Colon....you gave me a good laugh...but you are so right! It makes me sick to see the ladies at my office coming out without even washing their hands...that is just plain sick!:cross-eye

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
water

Ear infections?..........and i thought i only had to worry about the water when it came to drinking it. Its seems everyone down there has "ameba" from it also.