Another vehicle question

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I am in the process of buying a condo in the North Coast area of the DR. I'm only in the research stage at this point. But, as a part of that process I have been following the recent posts regarding vehicle possession in the DR; most notably the issue of purchasing in, or transporting to, the DR. Much has been commented on regarding the difficulty in transporting a vehicle to the DR. And much has also been mentioned about the different types of vehicles that can be purchased in the DR, which usually involves foreign (European or Japanese, and deisel as opposed to gas) manufactured vehicles. Can anyone share any information on any US manufactured vehicles and whether or not they can be, first, serviced there and, secondly, purchased there?

My intent, upon the purchase of a condo there, is to ship either a Cadillac Escalade truck or a Chrysler C300. I have been advised, through posts on this forum and privately, not to ship the vehicle because of the difficulties and costs associated with such a venture. My problem is that I have 3 vehicles here in the states and am not fond of the idea of buying a 4th, when I could simply ship one that I already own. My thought is that if I sold a vehicle here, any loss that I would incur in the sale could be applied, instead, to the cost of shipping the thing to the DR in the 1st place. Especially with all this talk now about the elimination on import tariffs. However, if shipping a vehicle proves to be cost prohibitive, then I need to explore the possibility of selling here in the US and purchasing there in the DR. Hence the need for info on dealerships (Jeep, Chevy, etc) there in the DR.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hold your horses! the government (President's decree) announced today a bag-full of incentives for foreign pensioners, retirees and others, moving permanently to the DR. Of particular interest are the duty-free allowances for household furnishings and automobiles, and the issuing of permanent resident status within 45 days. Full details should be in tomorrow's press.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
jackquontee,
The reason most people suggest sticking to Japanese models (European if you don't want Japanese), is precisely because of the service/repair issues. You can buy American brand vehicles, but there's often a problem with proper service and the cost/availability of parts. Unless things have changed dramatically in the DR in recent years, this is particularly a problem for Chrysler models. The DR has had several different authorized dealers/service agents for Chrysler/Dodge vehicles over the years, all in SD. So one thing you have to consider is even if there is an authorized Chrysler dealer these days (it used to be Reid & Pellerano when I lived there 1995-99), how long it will be around. I had a Chrysler van and needed to have it repaired. Took it to the dealer. They not only took over 4 weeks to repair it -- said it required importing parts from the US -- and charged me an arm and a leg, but the repair was so poorly done that my engine caught fire while driving it home. I forced them to repair it "properly" a second time without charge, but it never ran well after they got their hands on it and they refused to consider any "consideration" on the bill for the original botched job. And it took another couple of weeks.

By contrast, our Toyota could be prepared by nearly any competent mechanic quickly and for low cost.

Service and repair should be a serious consideration in any vehicle you import or buy in the DR. The harsh road/street conditions really "put the miles" on a vehicle much faster than you might expect...

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Keith

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only reason Santo Domingo Motors service department stays in business is all the GM warranty and other GM repairs they handle.

As they once told me, if they only had Nissan, the service department would have gone broke a long time ago.

Yes, I own a Nissan and for very good reason.
You can get the parts as we have plenty of Pathfinders running around here, they are reliable and plenty of guys can fix them.

I would think long and hard before bringing in a Cadillac Escalade.
Then again, it will keep my friends at Santo Domingo Motors in the black :)

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Got it

Okay, folks, this is particularly the type of info I'm interested in as it goes a long way in helping me to make a decision. How about a Jeep Rubicon? What is the market like for service and repair?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jackquontee said:
Okay, folks, this is particularly the type of info I'm interested in as it goes a long way in helping me to make a decision. How about a Jeep Rubicon? What is the market like for service and repair?

It's a chrysler, same as buying a GM, if not worse.
I see very few running around here, that tells you something.

Start thinking Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan etc.