child care and Montessori's school

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
Im looking to put my 2 year old into some kind of school also im looking to find a child care provider/ baby sitter, in Santo Domingo... does anyone have experience in this area.. or recommend and places to look into?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Santo Domingo Is "LOADED" With Schools,And PRE-Schools!

In what area would you like your child to attend school? Near the home is best,second best is on your route too and from work.What price range are you looking at?
cc

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
mine went to a school with the 'montessouri' tag from a very early age.
a few years ago now, but all well-adjusted - kids, school, teachers.
it's in the los cacicazgos area.......if that's the area you are looking for.
i can give you the exact address if you want it (and as soon as i can find it).

doctormom

May 25, 2005
preschools and elementary school in sd

Hi, I have been trying to find a school for my girls ages 3 and 8 to attend if we move to santo domingo in dec. I hope to be attending unibe and living somewhere within walking distance of there. i would like the girls to be able to walk to school too. the schools i have communicated with are quite expensive. my children do not speak spanish but are eager to learn. I am currently learning to speak it and they are learning some through me. ANY advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
well price range is no more than 200us dollars a month

Criss Colon said:
In what area would you like your child to attend school? Near the home is best,second best is on your route too and from work.What price range are you looking at?
cc

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
im looking in santo domingo near unibe or around
bochinche said:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If Unibe is near Gazcue (it's the one behind the main police station, isn't it) there is a Montessori school in Gazcue, on or near to Calle Sanchez Ramirez. Not sure it's bilingual though. There is another private school in Gazcue with a reasonably good reputation called Instituto Escuela. Then there is Babeque which is also supposed to be good, and a couple of religious schools whose names escape me right now. Less than total recall, I know, but hope it helps!

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Please do

bochinche said:

If you have found the address to the school in cacicazgos, please post it. I'm in the hunt for a reccomended pre-school in that area. Is it bi-lingual??

Gracias!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
solituna said:
If you have found the address to the school in cacicazgos, please post it. I'm in the hunt for a reccomended pre-school in that area. Is it bi-lingual??

Gracias!

the original post was looking for a school for a 2yr old.
mine went there from 10 months of age.

i'm not really familiar with all the terms they use for schools here - kinder, pre-kinder, pre-primario, pre-school, kindergarten, play school, etc., but this is obviously the first on the education ladder.

it is not a 'bilingual' school (the oldest children are about six years of age), but it is montessouri accredited (i'm not so sure that is such a difficult thing these days).

this may put you off - from the outside it looks like an ordinary house. it is on the corner of a crossroads and there are two colmados on each of two other corners - but take a look - it is a good school, with, i believe a good reputation for what it is.

i can't find the address anywhere, so i am going to give the best description i can of where it is, then go and look on www.iruta.net for street maps of santo domingo if you are not familiar with the capital.

assuming you know where ave enriquillo (prolongacion ave. sarasota) is in los cacicazgos:
if you travel west from la cadena supermarket to avenida luperon on ave. enriquillo until you get to the turning for the hotel fiesta (concord).
instead of turning left to the hotel turn right.
on that street, take the first left (i believe this is manolo tavarez justo, but wouldn't swear to it).
drive until you get to a crossroads (the school is on the corner on the left), a colmado on the opposite left hand corner and another on the opposite right.
i think the school is called 'jardin del ni?os montessouri' or something like that.

don't let the colmados (first impressions and all that) put you off.

there are other small schools in the area you can find if you drive around some of the back streets of los cacicazgos (on the hotel side of ave enriquillo), but they don't have the montessouri tag, plus they open for a couple of years then disappear. this one i know, has been around for quite a long time, although it was in a smaller house a bit further down the road about five years ago.
the other good thing is that the teachers don't keep changing, which is quite unusual in santo domingo.

let me know if you don't find it and i'll go round myself and get the exact address and telephone number.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Gracias

Thanks bochinche! Very accurate and informative description. I've just bought an apartment in that area, just a couple of houses down from the fiesta hotel entrance. I'll have a looksee at the place.

Thanks again!