Citizen Watch

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DR1 reported the following:
Citizen Watch on Congress
As from 26 August, the ties between the National Congress and the civil population will be a lot closer, according to a proposal set forth by Participacion Ciudadana that would provide a ?citizen?s watch? over the Legislative Branch. While the citizens are represented by the various deputies and senators in the Congress, the new project will allow the different community organizations to have greater access and intervention in the legislative process. According to El Caribe, the watchdog group will be based on three fundamental components: legislation, representation and supervision. Regarding the legislative component, the members of the watchdog groups representing different civil community organizations will be trained on their participation in parliamentary activities such as public hearings, seminars and direct visits to legislators. In regards to the supervisory component, the groups will use mechanisms to verify that projects that are approved are really carried out by the authorities. The groups will also be able to follow, up close, the work of the legislators who represent the citizens, and complaints can be channeled to Congress. This will validate each legislator?s role as representative. At the heart of the project is a network of volunteers who will be responsible for serving as watchdogs on the legislative activities. The project, called Congress and Citizens, will be funded by USAID and managed by Participacion Ciudadana but the basic work will be done by the network of volunteers. While the project itself will be presented to the public during a seminar in Santo Domingo on 24 August, called ?The Congress and the Citizens? the watch group will begin their work on 16 August, at the start of the new legislative period.

Does anyone think that this will make a difference in the corruption and inefficiency in the government? It doesn't seem like the Citizen Watch has any teeth. They monitor Congress and report to Congress. Presumably, Congress will ignore any of their findings.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good question

I suppose that a lot will depend on how much noise these volunteers can make.

However, with USAID funding, they will have the moola to pay the "hacks..to spread abroad..."** news about the goings on. And the US Embassy will be on their case, I suppose, thoughin a less than obvious way.

One of the nuances of the Dominican form of democracy is that those that "represent" the people, do not really "represent" any more than themselves and their own interests. Slowly, this might be coming to an end as some of the voters (in this country 65-70% of the voters are illiterate, remember)-those that are capable of thinking a bit, now know that the deputies represent certain precincts, and when the voter learn that, in truth, they really should be doing something for "their" people, then things will start to change. The old "what have you done for me lately" style of politics we know in England or the US will start..for better or for worse :D:D

So, we, as the "intelligent" audience, should also keep watch, and sound off on what we observe....help them out a bit..:D:D:D

HB

** Erasmus of Rotterdam: "In Praise of Folly" taken wildly out of context...:p

May 12, 2005
I'm not sure that this will make much difference. It seems just like a way for politicians to appoint people to a committe so that they can feel important and like they're part of the system. And of course in return the politicians will get their votes by saying "look what I did for you." Which of course is a whole lot of nothing. I say that only because after college I spent time working for a US Congressman and I can't begin to tell you how many "advisory committees" he had. One for each issue it seemed.

But who knows?? If you get a few sharp and politically savvy people on the committee then maybe it can put some public pressure on the politicians by using the media and a good public relations campaign.