Dead: Ibrahim Ferrer of Buena Vista Social Club

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A True Legend 'sonero'

There is a nice article about Ibrahim Ferrer in BBC Mundo. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

Ibrahim Ferrer

LDG.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry I missed them in Tokyo in 2000.
Listening to the "album" certainly filled the DR void I had developed. Not exactly, but extremely helpful
mkohn

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
tomorrow's globe & mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050806.wferrer0806/BNStory/Entertainment/

the last paragraph about the bands he played with in the 1950's....when i first brought the buena vista social club music to my bar in las galeras 4 or 5 years ago the older folks mentioned that they recalled compay segundo and ferrer and others touring the dom rep 40, 50 years ago...not necessarily together. any of you dominicans with parents still alive..do they have memories of these tours?

anyway, i literally had old folks walking past the bar, coming in when they heard the music...looking at the insert and tears swelled in their eyes. ok i'm half irish, so i was touched. my scottish side asked for the 25 pesos for the drink (!). just kidding!

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
I Will Miss My Brother

Damn!

I am so sorry to read this... I loved his music, in fact that's when I really fell in love with the Cuban music scene. I learned also how Dizzy Galesppi hand a hand in discovering Tito Puentez (sp)... and how Dizzy help fashion the Afro-Cuban jazz scene!

For anyone who have not seen the documentary about the Buena Vista Social Club I highly recommend it! I beautiful story and a great lesson in music in general!

May you rest in peace Ibrahim.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I was lucky to see him here in Toronto a few years ago.....
I love Cuban music too, and although it is sad to see him gone, his music will live on. He spent many many years making a lot of people happy with something he loved to do.