Portable Electric Generators???

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can purchase (or rent) a portable electric generator?

I'm willing to travel to a different city to purchase so location is not a problem.

I just need to know the name of the store and if possible the number so I can call and find out how much it costs.

And, if anyone has anymore insight in regards to electric generators it's certainly appreciated.

Thanks.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Vibe_2020,

Help us help you. Where (pueblo) is the unit going to be used and for what? There are many posters using this forum who will be able to direct you to a nearby supplier and provide information on what type of planta to purchase.

Regards,
PJT

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It also depends on what you call portable and how big your power needs are.
If you're talking about something small for operating a computer, a light & a fan, Honda makes a small 1K silent unit that is so small, you could stick it in your suitcase and bring it with you, assuming you are not already here.

AlfromTexas

Apr 13, 2004
Vibe_2020 said:
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can purchase (or rent) a portable electric generator?

I'm willing to travel to a different city to purchase so location is not a problem.

I just need to know the name of the store and if possible the number so I can call and find out how much it costs.

And, if anyone has anymore insight in regards to electric generators it's certainly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a 5.5 kva almost new that you can have for $35,000RD. PM me for more info Al

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
More Info. for Portable Generators

PJT said:
Vibe_2020,

Help us help you. Where (pueblo) is the unit going to be used and for what? There are many posters using this forum who will be able to direct you to a nearby supplier and provide information on what type of planta to purchase.

Regards,
PJT

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of information.

It will be used for a small house just for the living room area.

I'm looking for a generator to run a T.V., lights and a Fan.

Just something to keep me going while the lights are out.

Again, any help or assistance is appreciated.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Vibe_2020 said:
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of information.

It will be used for a small house just for the living room area.

I'm looking for a generator to run a T.V., lights and a Fan.

Just something to keep me going while the lights are out.

Again, any help or assistance is appreciated.
In that case, the 1K Honda noiseless would do the job.
Honda Cibaena in Santiago sells them.
Would you not prefer an inverter or is there no electricity at all there?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Rocky said:
In that case, the 1K Honda noiseless would do the job.
Honda Cibaena in Santiago sells them.
Would you not prefer an inverter or is there no electricity at all there?

Unfortunately, often there is no electricty here (Nagua).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Vibe_2020 said:
Unfortunately, often there is no electricty here (Nagua).
As is the case in most parts of the country, but an inverter with batteries may be a more practical set up for you than a mechanical generator that demands being started everytime there is a power failure, and has to be fed fuel on an ongoing basis.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Rocky said:
As is the case in most parts of the country, but an inverter with batteries may be a more practical set up for you than a mechanical generator that demands being started everytime there is a power failure, and has to be fed fuel on an ongoing basis.

Hmmm...

That's for the advice.

I'll look into that.

Will an inverter take batteries?
How long will it last?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Vibe_2020 said:
Hmmm...

That's for the advice.

I'll look into that.

Will an inverter take batteries?
How long will it last?
Yes, inverters take batteries.
They are converters that take DC voltage from deep cycle batteries and convert the power to 110 AC, and when the power is on, an internal charger recharges the batteries.
Most systems are 12 or 24 volt.
So you group two 6 volt batteries in series for the 12 volt units and four 6 volt batteries for 24 volt inverters.
The length of time you can go without power, depends on how many batteries you have.
With a 1k unit and two 6 volt batteries, I used to run my TV, a fan and a couple of low consumtion light bulbs for as long as 2 days.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Rocky and JDJones

Hi Guys,

First, thank you both for the recommendations.

I took it to heart and did much research and have decided that an inverter is the best route.

A couple of more questions.

How do I recharge the batteries?
I've seen battery charger products but don't these require electricity?

And, any word on cost for inverters in DR (doesn't have to be Nagua)?

And lastly, just to recap, I'll need an Inverter, a bunch of 12v batteries and a charger. Is this correct?

Again guys, thank's a bunch.

You've helped me out tremendously!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Vibe_2020 said:
How do I recharge the batteries?
I've seen battery charger products but don't these require electricity?

And, any word on cost for inverters in DR (doesn't have to be Nagua)?

And lastly, just to recap, I'll need an Inverter, a bunch of 12v batteries and a charger. Is this correct?
The inverter has a built in charger.
The most popular and trusted brand is Trace/Xantrex.
The systems are either 12 or 24 volt, therefore, as we use 6 volt deep cycle batteries, you pair them up in series to attain 12 volts and group them by 4 in series for a 24 volt system.
If any of this sounds complicated, it is not.
Any decent store that sells them can explain it to you well, give you diagrams or install it for you.
There may be a good store in Nagua and if not, Santiago has several outlets.

When the electricity goes off, the inverter automatically switches over to the battery power, and when the street power comes back on, it automatically switches back and charges up your batteries.
The system is basically maintenance free, other than checking the fluid level in the batteries once a month and making sure the terminals do not develop corrosion.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Rocky said:
The inverter has a built in charger.

The inverter I'm looking at doesn't have a built-in charger.

So, I'm going to have to recharge the batteries when the city has power.

Any clue as to how long it will take to recharge a 12v battery?

Also, any clue as to how long I can run a TV, fan and lights with a 1K inverter?

Do I need to add additional batteries to make it run longer?

Thanks for all the help!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Vibe_2020 said:
The inverter I'm looking at doesn't have a built-in charger.

So, I'm going to have to recharge the batteries when the city has power.

Any clue as to how long it will take to recharge a 12v battery?

Also, any clue as to how long I can run a TV, fan and lights with a 1K inverter?

Do I need to add additional batteries to make it run longer?

Thanks for all the help!
If it does not have a built in charger, I would call it a converter, although I have seen companies mislabel converters as inverters.
Anyhow, sounds like your trying to go the cheap route and it will land up costing you more in the end and never giving you the service you could get from a proper inverter.
As for how long it takes a charger to charge a battery, it depends on how low the battery is, how big the charger is, whether you are fast charging it or trickle charging it.
The 1K inverter has nothing to do with how long you can go on battery power.
The amount of batteries decides how long you can go, along with your consumption.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Suggest A Review Of All The "INVERtor/Inversor" Posts !

There must be 500!
Nothing Worse than an undersized invertor combined with too few batteries!!!

Since we live in the DR with all the "Plusses and Minus'" that entails,"Be Prepared"!

I live in Arroyo Hondo Santo Domingo.People may tell you that we have "Power" all the time! "Bull$hit!"
I have a 3.6 K Trace invertor hooked to 8 Trojan Batteries.Lately,the power has been off more than 50% of the time,and the batteries are running out of "Charge" before the power comes back on.Then I must fire up my 20 kilo Detroit diesel generator to charge the batteries,or until the "power" comes back on.One night last week,the "power" was off all day,the batteries discharged,and the generator would not start.There was no breeze,and it was HOT! I went to the shower every few hours and splashed water on myself to try aand keep cool.There is NO "Perfect Solution" the the energy crisis in the DR!!
cc