Michaelle Jean and the Haiti Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/08/03/gg050803.html

this woman will do more to fix haiti than any politician has ever dreamed about. brilliant choice and i don't use that adjective - unlike the brits - often. i'm xstatic about her appointment to what i always conceived of as a stupid, archaic position. mark my words, she'll bring meaning to not only to the position but to all of us here in canada, haiti and dom rep. terrific role model. i'll really miss her on the radio canada news though, even though she's just been filling in lately.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Jasper said:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/08/03/gg050803.html

this woman will do more to fix haiti than any politician has ever dreamed about. brilliant choice and i don't use that adjective - unlike the brits - often. i'm xstatic about her appointment to what i always conceived of as a stupid, archaic position. mark my words, she'll bring meaning to not only to the position but to all of us here in canada, haiti and dom rep. terrific role model. i'll really miss her on the radio canada news though, even though she's just been filling in lately.
For those who are going - "Huh!", Michaelle Jean, a Hatian born, Canadian immigrant was announced as Canada's next Governor General. She is 48 and married with one daughter.

Since I believe the post is an archaic and unnecessary waste of taxpayers money I see no reason that she or anyone else will be able to make it even remotely meaningful to the vast majority of Canadians.

I will concede that she is an extremely beautiful woman who will undoubtedly look better than any elected politician when she represents Canada at various and sundry ceremonies but that cannot by itself bring relevance to the position. She is primarily a Quebec figure who is barely known beyond the Quebec borders and was appointed soley for the value that comes with being identified by being an immigrant and a Quebecois. I entirely fail to see the DR relevance now or in the future other than that Haiti shares the island of Hispanola with the DR which is an accident of history and geography and has no significance to this "story".

One man's opinion.

Gregg

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You said it Fireguy!!

I for another feel that if we must pay the absurd price for a redundant position it should at least be filled by a native born Canadian!

(before y'all jump on me - I've nothing against immigrants - I married one!!)

This was nothing but a political ploy by Martin to improve his popularity in Quebec and will do nothing to improve the lot of Haiti (c'mon use your head-even if she COULD do something -she left as a child and was raised in Canada).
Therefore there is NO benefit to the DR (as in decreased immigration or increased trade!).

Status
Not open for further replies.