Make free PC to 1-800 toll free numbers in USA / canada

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
As you all know 1-800 xxx xxxx is not free to dial from DR. I think it costs like 10 pesos / min and you have to dial some other code instead of 800.
Skype.com phone is a free program that charges low rates to call usa but if you dial +1-800 xxx xxxx from your software, its 100% free.
It means if you are inquiring about something from a business in USA which has a 1 800 number, then you can call for free. Airline information etc.
If you have DSL in DR then the connection is the best. If you have dialup, then you might have a delay in voice. If that happenes, just turn off the program and restart it again. maybe if you are lucky, you may connect with a server that is not so congested. If you hear any type of recording that says that you can't dial this number from this location, don't worry, keep dialing the same number until you get through.
I have called my friend who works for a company that has a 1800 number. I talked for 20 mins for free and sounded exactly like a regular telefone from a dial up connection.
Remember you must dial +1800 then the number. The + sign is very important to dial before 1.
have fun.
AZB

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
a guy once told me

The scam is to 'route' you to the Skype associated company called MoneyBookers.
This is a crafty move and the 'registration' to MoneyBookers requires

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Buck69 said:
The scam is to 'route' you to the Skype associated company called MoneyBookers.
This is a crafty move and the 'registration' to MoneyBookers requires
Are you going to finish you sentence? What's the scam?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There is no scam. Some people just simply want to complicate things. I made a phone call to my friend in NYC and I will make another one in less than 1 hr from now.
Its all free to dial 1 800. I am sure there are other programs just like it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have never given MY C/c No to anyone at Skype - NOR MoneyBookers (whoever they may be!) I use Skype very happily for calls to UK, USA, Norway etc & have NEVER been charged for a call. Difficult getting direct to Tel. No. of friends not using Skype for international rates with a C/c based in DR agreed, but I can live without that.

THANKS for this Tip Aftab - I certainly was not aware of that one & might have cause to phone some 1-800 Nos for tobacco needs now!! ~ Grahame.

AlfromTexas

Apr 13, 2004
BushBaby said:
I have never given MY C/c No to anyone at Skype - NOR MoneyBookers (whoever they may be!) I use Skype very happily for calls to UK, USA, Norway etc & have NEVER been charged for a call. Difficult getting direct to Tel. No. of friends not using Skype for international rates with a C/c based in DR agreed, but I can live without that.

THANKS for this Tip Aftab - I certainly was not aware of that one & might have cause to phone some 1-800 Nos for tobacco needs now!! ~ Grahame.

SKYPE also accepts PAYPAL

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Voice over IP

I noticed that Skype has become more popular over the last few months. I have been using a program called net2phone for over 2 years now to call the states. It is not a free program, but it certainly beats the regular lines. I can look up the rates they charge easily online before making phone calls. I will investigate the Skype program as an alternative.

I use a plantronics headphone set that plugs into my computer. It sounds as good (if not equal) to a standard phone. One of these days, I am going to buy one of the newer cordless sets. It is worth investing in a decent headset that costs around $25 in the USA.

In any case, these services are awesome. If you make tons of phone calls, it is worth it. I would like to add that when I try to call friends over in Russia or the Ukraine, the sound quality is not great, but calls to the states are almost perfect.