Investment Opportunities

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
As a part of my planning a future move to the DR I have been thinking alot about the importance of having a means of income seperate and apart from that which I have now. I am a long way away from retiring, so, unlike some people who are already at retirement age, I would not feel comfortable relying on interest income prior to retiring.

With the exception of Real Estate, there seems, literally, to be no investment opportunities available in the DR. It seems many people who have expressed interest in moving to the DR intend/expect to open some type of business that already exists there, i.e., bar, restaurant, etc. I recall reading in another thread recently someone mention the problem that many people who move to the DR have in being succesful there, businesswise, is because they open up businesses that already exist and have to compete with an already strained market, and eventually go out of business.

My question for anyone who might care to respond is--what type of business would you choose to pursue in the DR if you had the money to fund it? I'm talking about something unique, not something to compete with the local grocery store or bar.

BTW, I'm not looking to steal anyone's ideas, as my intent is to get into RE, which seems to be a more sound and plausible investment. I've just been curious about it. If anyone is reluctant to share, I would certainly understand why.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Two come to mind...

1. Niche Tourism.
- High end golf tours.
- High end eco-tourism tours.

Small groups, 1st class service, great $$$ yield.
Takes time, you need to know your target market very well and know how to market to it.

2. Service Industry.
- Specialized or niche call center
- Online support services
Basically anything online that you can do from here, but service people overseas.

DR has great connectivity for the Caribbean, low wages and a growing bilingual workforce, plus plenty of kids coming out of university with pretty good IT/Design skills.

The DR has plenty of investment opportunities, you just need to do your research, due diligence and network, network, network.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with Robert, there are many many opportunities. the trick is to separate the crap from the quality.

You need to establish what you might be interested in. Business here is very hands on! What are you interested in spending your time doing? What do you like and dislike? As a visitor and tourist, what is missing for you? This will give you ideas.

Any business that creates a niche, offers quality service and or a good product will have a better chance of success here. There is a shortage of quality service, particularly in the tourism sector!

I do a lot of consulting around these concepts and find it very interesting. The successful businesses and owners are the ones who did their homework ahead of time.

That being said, there are many opportunities to only invest and not take an active role. Let me know if you have any interest in that, I can stear you in a couple of directions.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Tony, learn as much as possible first by being here ( as I know you are planning to do already ).
Continue to meet people, build up a network of contacts, see how things are functioning.
Think of what area of business you can see yourself being a part of, and take your time to do the homework and get knowledge if that specific area would function here, if it exists, if there is a demand on it etc etc.

In the meantime, stick with Alberto at Anoeca, that you met already! ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
I forgot you had already met Alberto, he is fabulous!

Planner, when Jackquontee came to POP the first time, we did what some people most don?t get the chance to experience, apart from having some good times, sharing a cerveza..

This mainly because, as I see it, Jackquontee knows so well what he is doing, he is not rushing, he is building something,.. step by step.
He suggested himself, apart from meeting people all days in POP and Sosua, for us to bring together a group of people, from different worlds and from different paths of life.
A great opportunity for Jackquontee to see the various lifestyles people have chosen here, how they interact and how the conversations goes between these people.
We gathered people from what we hoped might be interesting for Jackquontee, that he could learn and pick up from, and enjoy at the same time!
Under the same roof he gathered around 15 people, in different fields..
from Alberto who works in investing & real estate, to more people in real estate, to Scott, to a wonderful couple, highly educated, working in an orphanage in Esperanza, to business owners, to retired people and to people just living off their investments.
People that have been here for some time, and what a great source to start digging information when planning your future!

I wish more people would have the insight Jackquontee has when the planning on this possible move. And I also wish more people took the time to read DR1 in & out, took the time to get to know the surroundings of the future home area on all levels, and finally took the time to meet people the way Jackquontee has done and I am sure will continue doing.
What a great start for education of this!

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
jackquontee said:
As a part of my planning a future move to the DR I have been thinking alot about the importance of having a means of income seperate and apart from that which I have now. I am a long way away from retiring, so, unlike some people who are already at retirement age, I would not feel comfortable relying on interest income prior to retiring.

With the exception of Real Estate, there seems, literally, to be no investment opportunities available in the DR. It seems many people who have expressed interest in moving to the DR intend/expect to open some type of business that already exists there, i.e., bar, restaurant, etc. I recall reading in another thread recently someone mention the problem that many people who move to the DR have in being succesful there, businesswise, is because they open up businesses that already exist and have to compete with an already strained market, and eventually go out of business.

My question for anyone who might care to respond is--what type of business would you choose to pursue in the DR if you had the money to fund it? I'm talking about something unique, not something to compete with the local grocery store or bar.

BTW, I'm not looking to steal anyone's ideas, as my intent is to get into RE, which seems to be a more sound and plausible investment. I've just been curious about it. If anyone is reluctant to share, I would certainly understand why.
I wouldn't even consider doing any business here unless it was completely passive *earning interest* unless I was living here full time. I wouldn't pretend to be able to control anything from long distance. You can pick any of the offers you receive and the best place to file em is in the garbage because that is all they are worth.

I tell people here not to even smile for fear of losing their gold fillings in their teeth. I would tell people that aren't here to just mail me the money so I can buy myself a woman and a drink with it. At least then you will get a thank you from me instead of NADA.

If you aint here, fogetaboutit it just aint worth the thoughts.

You want investments? Let me suggest dirt in good locations. You can just sit on it and it will increase in value for the near future. Just have someone check on it every once in a while to make sure NO one has set up home or a cattle business on it. I wouldn't even bother with anything else here or go into business with anyone whom you don't know and especially those that you do know! Other than this for someone who as you say are nowhere near retirement I would use Alberto which I do.

Escott

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Wow

A great and varied number of replies, and thanks to everyone who has offered insight and advice.

Carina, thanks for saying what I think I would have had to say in this thread, and believe I've already said in other threads elsewhere. I don't jump into anything. That is why I ask questions and observe people and things long and hard before I do anything. I am doing my homework now, and will continue to do so even after I buy and visit.

As I've said before, I will buy a condo as a vacation residence. I've traveled to a number of vacation destinations and have settled on the DR long term because I like the place and the people. So, whether I move there or not, I will buy a vacation residence.

Having said that, if I should choose to move there at some point, I think it would be wise to establish a means of income. I do not want, and will not become, one of those who "arrive with something and leave with nothing", as I have so often heard mentioned.

I have already stated that my interest would be in rental properties. However, I did state when I first started posting on this forum that it is something I would not do unless I were there full-time to monitor things myself, as I am a hands on person and truly believe in the saying that"if you want something done right, do it yourself." Escott, I truly appreciate your comments and advice as you and I have already had some interesting discussions about the issue, and I intend to have further discussions with you as well. I will not purchase a place there and pursue some business venture right away. The purchase of a place, as I've said a few times already, will allow me to make an initial investment in a place of my own that I can also use as a base from which to work while I am there. A place from which I can continue to meet new people and network, as someone else suggested; get to know the workings and inner workings of the society and culture; and learn, learn, learn.

I've met Alberto who, though we didn't get to speak at length, I found to be just as unique and interesting as Mr. Escott. I'm fond of people who have depth, though hidden. We've spoken and will continue to speak as time goes by.

Again, thanks to all, and I hope this helps others who might be interested in the same thing as well.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
You and I will get along well. I'm surprised and amazed to see that you saw the dinner for what it was. You are very observant, and with a good sense.

carina said:
Planner, when Jackquontee came to POP the first time, we did what some people most don?t get the chance to experience, apart from having some good times, sharing a cerveza..

This mainly, as I see it, Jackquontee knows so well what he is doing, he is not rushing, he is building something,.. step by step.
He suggested himself, apart from meeting people all days in POP and Sosua, for us to bring together a group of people, from different worlds and from different paths of life.
A great opportunity for Jackquontee to see the various lifestyles people have chosen here, how they interact and the conversations goes between these people.
We gathered people from what we hoped might be interesting for Jackquontee, that he could learn and pick up from, and enjoy at the same time!
Under the same roof he gathered around 15 people, in different fields..
from Alberto who works in investing & real estate, to more people in real estate, to Scott, to a wonderful couple, highly educated, working in an orphanage in Esperanza, to business owners, to retired people and to people just living off their investments.
People that have been here for some time, and what a great source to start digging information when planning your future!

I wish more people would have the insight Jackquontee has when the planning on this possible move. And I also wish more people took the time to read DR1 in & out, took the time to get to know the surroundings of the future home area on all levels, and finally took the time to meet people the way Jackquontee has done and I am sure will continue doing.
What a great start for education of this!

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Why Real Estate??

jackquontee said:
It's a very good question, I wish I had an answer for you.

I was wondering though, why you thought RE in the Dominican Republic was a good investment? There don't appear to be many barriers preventing anyone from purchasing land in the country and there appears to be plenty of land available. BTW: I generally see the value of land, as the rents one can collect for having people stay on it (in hotels/apartments/gated communities.)

I don't see any barriers preventing continued development, in cheaper locations, outside of the (less than 30 miles) tourist areas on the North or South Coast, which could lead to a decline in the value of older, existing properties.

I'm NOT saying that people have NOT made money over the last 10+ years buying real estate in the DR, but how is it possible to maintain increasing returns and how can you tell when the property may see a decline 5+ years down the road.

-Helpmann :)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
helpmann said:

I was wondering though, why you thought RE in the Dominican Republic was a good investment? There don't appear to be many barriers preventing anyone from purchasing land in the country and there appears to be plenty of land available. BTW: I generally see the value of land, as the rents one can collect for having people stay on it (in hotels/apartments/gated communities.)

I don't see any barriers preventing continued development, in cheaper locations, outside of the (less than 30 miles) tourist areas on the North or South Coast, which could lead to a decline in the value of older, existing properties.

I'm NOT saying that people have NOT made money over the last 10+ years buying real estate in the DR, but how is it possible to maintain increasing returns and how can you tell when the property may see a decline 5+ years down the road.

What exactly ARE you saying?

Are you saying that when Bumfluck gets developed that the better locations with more happening around and more convienent to the Airport will suffer because of that?

I don't see barriers either but do you really believe that people won't pay more for a better location? When the people moved to the burbs to be able to afford a place to live do you think that the cities suffered?

You think it is cheaper to live in NYC now that people have been developing as far away as 2 hours by car and everywhere inbetween?

Hmmm...

PS> real estate is cylindrical in nature. What goes up can come down. Sometimes you need to wait another cycle to make an exit.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
helpmann said:

The three axioms in Real Estate, in any country is, LOCATION, LOCATON and LOCATION.
The barriers include lack of reliable electricity (at least the present tourist areas have electricity the majority of the time), water, waste disposal, roads, beaches, etc. No developer is going to foot the bill for these, and the government certainly won't.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
New York, New York!!!

Escott said:
What exactly ARE you saying?

Are you saying that when Bumfluck gets developed that the better locations with more happening around and more convienent to the Airport will suffer because of that?

I don't see barriers either but do you really believe that people won't pay more for a better location? When the people moved to the burbs to be able to afford a place to live do you think that the cities suffered?

You think it is cheaper to live in NYC now that people have been developing as far away as 2 hours by car and everywhere inbetween?

Hmmm...

PS> real estate is cylindrical in nature. What goes up can come down. Sometimes you need to wait another cycle to make an exit.
You're not comparing Sosua/Cabarete to New York City? That's really funny... :laugh: (GOD, I hope you're not serious.) Maybe you need to travel to Manhattan more often, there's more than water and trees in NYC.

But forgive me, you've found paradise, and everybody should be lining up to buy a piece of it :rolleyes:. There's nothing comparable to the North Coast of the DR :rolleyes:. You can't find warm weather, a beach, and some trees in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados, the Caymans, Aruba, Curacao, Martinique, St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos Islands, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemela.... yada, yada, yada, yada. Too bad New York is a dime a dozen :rolleyes:.

Property purchased in Manhattan today will be worth more than it's worth 10 years from today (much more, I guarantee it!) Perhaps you can see 10 years into the future for the Dominican Republic, but I can't. I couldn't tell you if this country will develop into the next Venezuela, Argentina, Bolivia, Mexico, or Brazil; however, I'm pretty sure it's NOT the next South Korea.

I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made in short-term real estate investments in the DR (while everyone moves their excess cash from the NYSE/NASDAQ into real estate), but unless you plan on living there until you fall over and die, you may not be able to recoup investment. Hey, maybe you're just gambling and throwing the dice or riding the pyramid until it topples. If you threw money into Sosua/Cabarete 5-years ago, you made out well (so too, if you got in and got out before the Dot.Com bubble), and I'm sure the guy that invested his money into Bumfluck, DR is wishing he hadn't, but....

again, why do some (or perhaps many?) people see the Dominican Republic as a good real estate opportunity???

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Help Please?

HOWMAR said:
The three axioms in Real Estate, in any country is, LOCATION, LOCATON and LOCATION.
The barriers include lack of reliable electricity (at least the present tourist areas have electricity the majority of the time), water, waste disposal, roads, beaches, etc. No developer is going to foot the bill for these, and the government certainly won't.
I really want to understand where you're coming from, but I'm having some difficulty. Did resorts like Playa Dorado, condominium complexes like Caribe Campo, or gated communities like the Sea Horse Ranch have any of these (access reliable electricity, water, waste disposal) attributes before development?

If the government upgrades Autopista #5 to the quality of Autopista #3 or Autopista #1, in the next 10 years, does this mean that there will be many more opportunities for development along the North Coast and further from the airport?

Is space on the coast, severely limited? Are communities like the Sea Horse Ranch and Casa Linda that unique, that they cannot be "copied" 5-15 miles away at a cost equal to or less than the cost of the existing communities? Are there government restrictions that will limit the future building on the island?

There appear be a lot of resorts scattered along the island (North, South, East,) but developers don't appear to be tied down to one region or one city. They just build along the coast and continue to expand away from the airports.

FORD

Nov 12, 2004
jackquontee said:

.........develop yourself, your business and your investment portfolio to the point that you don't NEED to work before you move and never be in need to sustain yourself exclusively on the money you make in the DR. This way your business ventures can begin as sort of hobbies and you can expand those that seem to have potential.

Whatever you do don't go down to the northcoast and try to open another bar w/ women. Be alittle inovative. The one guaranteed thing that I know I'll never have trouble finding when I'm in the DR is a beer or a woman. :tired:

FORD

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
helpmann said:
There's nothing comparable to the North Coast of the DR :rolleyes:. You can't find warm weather, a beach, and some trees in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados, the Caymans, Aruba, Curacao, Martinique, St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos Islands, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemela.... yada, yada, yada, yada.

Not at DR prices.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
helpmann said:
You're not comparing Sosua/Cabarete to New York City? That's really funny... :laugh: (GOD, I hope you're not serious.) Maybe you need to travel to Manhattan more often, there's more than water and trees in NYC.
I would not compare the two places. Your silly assessment that as property developes out of the core the prices in the core goes down was the comparison. That is plain silly and untrue and a red herring and a non issue.

helpmann said:
But forgive me, you've found paradise, and everybody should be lining up to buy a piece of it :rolleyes:. There's nothing comparable to the North Coast of the DR :rolleyes:. You can't find warm weather, a beach, and some trees in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados, the Caymans, Aruba, Curacao, Martinique, St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos Islands, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemela.... yada, yada, yada, yada. Too bad New York is a dime a dozen :rolleyes:.
Ok wise man, show me a place that is 3.3 hours from NY or similarly close to Miami or PR with a direct flight that has good Caribbean weather and convienences that the DR does at the price of property in the DR.

I will book this bet because I know the answer. I find these things out before I do what I do which is to invest and make money. People like you do nothing with nothing to offer except to roll the eyes like they have a clue which of course they do not.

helpmann said:
Property purchased in Manhattan today will be worth more than it's worth 10 years from today (much more, I guarantee it!) Perhaps you can see 10 years into the future for the Dominican Republic, but I can't. I couldn't tell you if this country will develop into the next Venezuela, Argentina, Bolivia, M
exico, or Brazil; however, I'm pretty sure it's NOT the next South Korea.
I don't need to see 10 years into the future. If I ride this for 5 years I can suffer setbacks without losing a nickle. You ought to look into it yourself.

I wonder what will happen to Manhattan real estate if there is more terrorism there? Ah never mind, you know it all.

I would be happy to make a wager with you about a piece of property I bought last month or a piece of property I will close on in 2 weeks. I will give you the property for free if I cant sell it at a better profit than the average upside of the S&P in 2 years. If I can you just pay me half the amount I paid. I would be happy to put the titilo in escrow with an attorney if you put 50% of what I paid with the same attorney.

People like you NEVER put their money where their mouths are. They just talk exactly like you are. Bet is fair. Bet you won't take me up on it.

helpmann said:
I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made in short-term real estate investments in the DR (while everyone moves their excess cash from the NYSE/NASDAQ into real estate), but unless you plan on living there until you fall over and die, you may not be able to recoup investment. Hey, maybe you're just gambling and throwing the dice or riding the pyramid until it topples. If you threw money into Sosua/Cabarete 5-years ago, you made out well (so too, if you got in and got out before the Dot.Com bubble), and I'm sure the guy that invested his money into Bumfluck, DR is wishing he hadn't, but..
I only buy good property in good locations. You were the one suggesting investing in Bumfluck will take down the values of core areas which was just dumb.

Hahaha, excess cash ???? You must have inside info. Come on and tell me some good stories! LOL

Yes I have been buying and making money here but I bet you haven't. You remind me of my mother who also NEVER made a dime on purpose in Real Estate. I was going to buy a condo in Ft. Lee for 49,500 $ with 10% down. She said the market was going to crash. Well Winston Towers 2 bedroom condos sell for closer to 1 million dollars now than 49,500 which was the price it was offered at.

helpmann said:
again, why do some (or perhaps many?) people see the Dominican Republic as a good real estate opportunity???
Possibly because it is. I will promise you that if you do NOT invest you do NOT stand a chance in making one penny in real Estate here.

I see it as good because the market these days and for the last 3 years have been GREAT HERE. Before that I told people NOT to purchase here as the values were and had been declining for years.

Timing is everything. Buying at the right price at the right time shelters you from future downsides.

Escott

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Really??

HOWMAR said:
Not at DR prices.
Really??

I didn't know that land was that expensive in "Honduras, Nicaragua, and Guatemela." Well, I guess I should BUY before the price goes up tomorrow ;).

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
helpmann said:
Really??

I didn't know that land was that expensive in "Honduras, Nicaragua, and Guatemela." Well, I guess I should BUY before the price goes up tomorrow ;).

Only a stupid person would compare these places to the DR. But, yes comparable real estate is as expensive.

The prices in the other places are 2-6 times more expensive than the DR but don't let that affect your BS!