Bringing small appliances into country

botc115

Aug 8, 2005
My boyfriend and I are coming down to visit as he owns a condo down in Cabarete. We are thinking of buying a small microwave here as they are not expensive and bringing with us.
Are there any regulations about bringing theses type of items in and do we have to pay tariffs and or taxes to bring into the country?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
No problem for us

When we brought a microwave with us last November. We put it in a Hockey bag and it just looked liked part of our luggage. We have been bringing all kinds of stuff from Canada with us in the last few years and never had a problem. We also have a Condo in Cabarete.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
botc115, snowbird is giving you good advice. If the things you are bringing look like part of your luggage, very likely they won't be inspected. Normally when a big plane arrives with lots of tourists, the customs people hurry through the process all who don't look like Dominicans bringing all but a kitcen sink.

Also, when you put your luggage up on the table to be checked, start with the suitcases that have the usual stuff. When they see that, they let the rest go through uninspected.

botc115

Aug 8, 2005
snowbird44 said:
When we brought a microwave with us last November. We put it in a Hockey bag and it just looked liked part of our luggage. We have been bringing all kinds of stuff from Canada with us in the last few years and never had a problem. We also have a Condo in Cabarete.

Thank you for the suggestion

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
botc115 said:
Thank you for the suggestion

also if you give them $5, 10, or even $20 they will
let you pass.. and if they check you they still will let you
go b/c they talk to each other with signs. The person you give money to will signal to the others so they are aware
that you gave a little gift and they should not bother you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
THE GAME said:
also if you give them $5, 10, or even $20 they will
let you pass.. and if they check you they still will let you
go b/c they talk to each other with signs. The person you give money to will signal to the others so they are aware
that you gave a little gift and they should not bother you.

When I went through Sunday night, the customs guy pretty much passed us through, then asked for a "propina". I asked him how much he wanted, and he said whatever I wanted to give him. So he got $5. Didn't complain.

I was relieved, actually, since we were bringing back a lot of stuff. I thought it was $5 well spent.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
shakedowns at POP

Any time you are bringing in any electronics, including extra cell phones, radios, DVD players, etc., it's best to have your $10. bucks ready, and give it to them when they ask you to put your bags on the counter. Before I learned this, I had a bad experience with them wanting a ridiculous amount of taxes. Each time after that, rather than have them go through my luggage, I just slipped them the $10., and I went right through. This hasn't been necessary at the Santo Domingo airport, but at POP, you get many single guy's going there, and there are the 'shakedowns.' Another tip; don't keep anything in the outer pockets of your luggage. Things that can be taken easily without actually opening the luggage.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago

Just came in thru STI last Sunday with a fair sample of electronic gizmos including a complete Play station 2, no problem. They now stick our bags thru a x-ray machine, maybe it wasn't working but they send me on my way. I agave athe aporter 100 pesosfor toteing my bags.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One important tip. Do not keep anything you do not want a problem with in a sealed package. They have to open these. Keep what you want in a suitcase and give a propina.

This is true at EVERY airport in the D.R.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
What would you suggest if I bring a gas BBQ as you buy them in a carton box. Obviously, I can't hide it in my luggage. Can I get away with a $10 or $20 at the airport? Last time I brought a large counter top oven from Canada and gave the guy a $20 to keep it. Should I do the same with a BBQ? And can I find 20lbs propane tank in the DR? I can't beleive how expensive those BBQs are in the DR.
ecarignan

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Bbq

I don't believe the BBQ should be a problem; it's not considered electronics. I would give $10 just to avoid them acting like it's an issue. As far as propane tanks; they're everywhere.