Bedbugs/Sand Fleas

Natash

Jul 24, 2005
Hello all,
Recently returned from a trip to the DR (POP area), which was almost perfect except for some sandflea bites... Two weeks later, my legs are still itchy (maybe its because im thinking about it??)
I never thought of it until now but today in the paper, there was an article about how it is possible to bring bedbugs and sandfleas home with you from a trip (in your luggage, clothes, etc)... Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone have any suggestions for determining if this happened to me?
I have been itching non stop since I read that article,grrrr..open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Natash

Jul 24, 2005
already ruled out

Hello,
my doc said it would take much longer for the irritation to begin, so I am not at risk...

Your link agrees:
For a person who has never been infested with scabies, symptoms may take 4-6 weeks to begin.

May 12, 2005
I would suggest you thoroughly wash any clothing and towels that you had on your trip before putting it back with all your other clothes. Hot water with bleach for the whites and warm water for your darks. Also i'd leave my luggage outside and give that a good cleaning before bringing it into my house. These things should pretty much take care of any of the little buggers that caught a flight home with you and your luggage.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Natash said:
Hello all,
Recently returned from a trip to the DR (POP area), which was almost perfect except for some sandflea bites... Two weeks later, my legs are still itchy (maybe its because im thinking about it??)
I never thought of it until now but today in the paper, there was an article about how it is possible to bring bedbugs and sandfleas home with you from a trip (in your luggage, clothes, etc)... Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone have any suggestions for determining if this happened to me?
I have been itching non stop since I read that article,grrrr..open to suggestions.
where did you stay? name the hotel..so that we can give a heads up to the next guy.

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
I have stayed at 3 different resorts in POP, and the first 2 hotels I cam back with sand flea bites. The 3rd hotel I didn't come back with any. The difference was that I did not go to the beach for the beach parties at night at the 3rd hotel. The fleas apparently come out at night the most. Get some cortisone cream and make sure that you wash everything, including your shoes, in hot soapy water.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When the OP wakes up and realizes that "Sarcoptes scabiei" (Scabies) can be caught from hotel towels/linens not laundered properly, she will stop itching!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am betting that

she was bitten (eaten alive more likely) by the famous "no-see-'ems" or what we call "mimis"......they leave a little red dot in the middle of their bite. Itch like he!! the next day or so...

HB :D:D:D

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hillbilly perhaps, you do not itch for weeks after your vacation from NO-SEE-UMS.

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
You can itch for a couple of weeks after your holiday, if you have not washed the items you took on holidays with you properly. When I got home the first trip from POP and had sand flea bites, they went away when I washed my clothing. I did not even think about washing my shoes, so when I put them on a few days later, I started getting the bites again. Also, when emptying a suitcase, there is always sand in the bottom which can contain sand fleas. Scabies is much different than normal bites. On most people it looks like a few longer scratches, not just a couple of bites, because the scabies are burrowing under the skin.

May 31, 2005
Hillbilly said:
she was bitten (eaten alive more likely) by the famous "no-see-'ems" or what we call "mimis"......they leave a little red dot in the middle of their bite. Itch like he!! the next day or so...

HB :D:D:D
mimes

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I always understood that 'sand fleas' are actually little gnats that usually come out at sunset. At least thats what we call 'sand fleas' in The Bahamas -is that different here in the DR?

Natash

Jul 24, 2005
Tamborista, you really should keep your day job and stop pushing the scabies diagnosis. Or atleast read the information and see that it totally does not fit here.

Hillbilly, you are exactly right, my bites were no-see-ums, also known as sandfleas. They had little dots in the middle of the bite and were scattered all over my legs.. Apprently sandfleas come out at dusk and dawn, and although I avoided latenight beach parties, I did go to the beach to see the sunrise on the day of my departure (had to be up at 5am anyways and thought I'd make the best of it...)... Apparently, the hotel fumigates the beach at 6am to get rid of the fleas but because I was there at 5am, I got the VIP treatment by the buggers (like a last meal, hehe). This also explains why I had no bites all during the vacation but severe bites on the way home...
But I think Im starting to see what is happening now..
I throughly cleaned my clothes when I came back but I did not clean my shoes. A big thanks to whoever mentioned it, I am going to do that today.