Here is another idea???

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Instead of continuously pi**ing and moaning about the effects of the economy, the electricity sector, etc., etc., why don't we form a "Committee of Expatriates for the Dominican Republic", identify those problems we are faced with and offer constructive solutions/ideas for corrections to Lionel directly? Surely there is someone on this Board that has a line to Lionel for such a presentation. With the "new" legislation being presented regarding "foreign persons" being given "new" exemptions (???) Lionel just might take notice of efforts to support just that.

If we're to live in this country, we should be allowed a non-voting voice in the conduct of it's government, reference it's effect on our daily lives!

Democracy at work!!

Will anyone salute that flag??

What say you?????

Texas Bill

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Texas Bill said:
Instead of continuously pi**ing and moaning about the effects of the economy, the electricity sector, etc., etc., why don't we form a "Committee of Expatriates for the Dominican Republic", identify those problems we are faced with and offer constructive solutions/ideas for corrections to Lionel directly? Surely there is someone on this Board that has a line to Lionel for such a presentation. With the "new" legislation being presented regarding "foreign persons" being given "new" exemptions (???) Lionel just might take notice of efforts to support just that.

If we're to live in this country, we should be allowed a non-voting voice in the conduct of it's government, reference it's effect on our daily lives!

Democracy at work!!

What say you?????

Texas Bill

Sounds great in theory, but do you really believe that Leonel would take any advice from 'estranjeros' ? This guy is bright & well educated, but has too many major problems confronting him, including Haiti, to even consider any well meant suggestions from gringos. Canadian Bob.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Expatriates in the DR, Unite!

Did you know that the new Constitution of Venezuela (Bolivarian) establishes that foreigners with at least 10 years residency in the country can vote in state, municipal and local elections? Now that's something to lobby for in the DR.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Mirador said:
Did you know that the new Constitution of Venezuela (Bolivarian) establishes that foreigners with at least 10 years residency in the country can vote in state, municipal and local elections? Now that's something to lobby for in the DR.

Now that is interesting!! Thanks,,, Canadian Bob.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:

Democracy at work!!

What say you?????

Texas Bill
There is something called IMF.

Every tax hike, its a tip from them.

Afterall, Leonel is an educated person, understands economics to the point of actually reviving the economy when it was virtually dead, and trully wants the progress of this nation.

But, that damn IMF keeps butting their noses where they should not...

Hipolito got us into this mess, we should confiscate everything he owns to pay the debt.

Now that I think of it, quite a few things that "Hippo" owns is actually owned by the masses, starting with his ultra modern Jarabacoa mountain villa that he built with taxpayers money!!!!

In short, do whatever you guys want to do. Just keep in mind that the control of this country is beyond the Palacio Nacional....

cr8tions

May 20, 2004
Like the saying goes..you fool me once its your fault..you fool me twice its my fault

Nal0whs said:
There is something called IMF.

Every tax hike, its a tip from them.

Afterall, Leonel is an educated person, understands economics to the point of actually reviving the economy when it was virtually dead, and trully wants the progress of this nation.

But, that damn IMF keeps butting their noses where they should not...

Hipolito got us into this mess, we should confiscate everything he owns to pay the debt.

Now that I think of it, quite a few things that "Hippo" owns is actually owned by the masses, starting with his ultra modern Jarabacoa mountain villa that he built with taxpayers money!!!!

In short, do whatever you guys want to do. Just keep in mind that the control of this country is beyond the Palacio Nacional....

Actually, if it wasn't for the IMF butting their noses. Your country would still be in shambles. Things need to get worse before they get better... well its going through the worst part.

I agree "Hippo" and his gang was the cause for all this so why don't the people take their foot out of their asses and do something about this corruption.

Do like the peruvians did a few weeks ago.... some dude was stealing and the village burned his *** alive. I bet since that day there isn't anyone stealing in the villiage. The DOMinicans need to do something siimilar to show they are no longer putting up with the governments crap.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Texas Bill said:

Democracy at work!!

Texas Bill

there is a flaw with these two statements.....i just can't quite put my finger on it. something to do with a "non-voting voice" followed by "democracy at work".....i'm getting a headache.

i'm sure leonel would be very receptive to ideas in a diplomatic sort of way, if you managed to get an audience. how serious he would take any of those ideas depends on literally how much money you have, appear to have, or can generate. i don't mean that in any corrupt sense, i mean that in a general politician sort of sense.

one well-known american company is building a huge free zone plant close to bonao, they sent the company president down to lay the first brick or something - leonel was in bonao like a shot. that was the political thing to do. the government now show they are committed and the american company have also shown they are committed - the common denominator being money.

i don't think leonel is going to listen to expats ideas about solving electricity problems if there is no money to back it - but perhaps there is.

instead of getting expats together and if you are genuinely concerned, why not join your local community group - i'm sure they have one.....every community has one. they are on the tv every night complaining about how they haven't had electricity for two weeks or water for five days or the petrol prices are too high, etc.
if you feel you have something extra to add because you are an expat, .......well they can find out for themselves if that is true.

i know, and this will definitely get your back up, that if i was continuously pissed off and moaning about the...etc., i would pack my bags and go some place else. your instant reaction is to probably answer that this is not possible and you don't want to do that .................if that is true, and i really doubt it, then there is nothing wrong with continuously moaning about current situations, as long as you realise you will always moan wherever you are.

oh yes....and for pity's sake, what other country is everybody on first name terms with the president, so at least get it right. his name has an 'e' and no 'i'.

stanleyr

Aug 20, 2005
What does it take to stay in country?

will immigration give me grief if i live in DR? Can I come and go without a hassle? Do I pay the government to stay/live in DR? I am an American by birth, but hold a passport from Jamaica. I hold not U.S. passport.
Stanley

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
Texas Bill said:

Democracy at work!!

What say you?????

Texas Bill

Let me talk your lingo.

You are flying a Cessna and wanting to reach an altitude of 50,000 ft.

It's a good idea. It is my dream to do the same(I am not even a pilot).

I suggest you better land.

D.D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You can not change a country, but you can make a difference!

Texas Bill is right. You may call him a dreamer, a fool or what ever, he still is right. The bitching won't change anything.
I was thinking about posting somthing similar especially refering to the electrical problem.
I deeply believe and I also am convinced to have seen and lived that, while one can not change a country, one can make a difference and not just with money.
Many of us have had the privilege of a good or better education, professional knoweldge and technical know how and most of all a wider horizon. This is a valuable asset and most any country or comunity can profit from it, if willing.
The key to acceptance by the political establishement usually is that they are not to be led to feel threatened by all that help and the personal popularity of a person or group that this may trigger.

... J-D.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My opinion

First I am not a rich expat. I live very frugally in DR(I'm not there right now but I will be returning to my home(DR)as soon as possible).

I think if we start paying our electric bills instead of stealing electric and get others to pay this will help the electric situation and the water also.

Start buying Dominican products, not the expensive exported things, put money into the community.

Help where you live locally. Things are not changed overnight. Little by little. Like throwing your trash in the can. Maybe noone else does it but only takes 1 person to start a trend.

Don't think of it as Expats against the Dominican system, we against then. Join with other Dominicans to make changes. There were many people involved in changing the political problems in the neighborhood where I lived. You are a foreigner in a foreign country. Work with them as an equal.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
JD & Jan---

Both of you said it much better than I, in my usual inarticulate way, did so.
Negativism is an insidious beast that creeps into our thinking processes while we don't even realize it. I know, I'm guilty of such myself.
What i was trying to do and still wish to do (despite the condescending and sarcastic remarks engendered) is to plant a seed that may grow into a fruit-bearing tree of dedicated helpfulness to a beleagured government that is struggling to solve the problems left it by an inarticulate, self-serving administration.
There is a huge reservoir of expertise in the Expat community that is going to waste where it could, possibly, do some good with cohesive thinking on particular problems. And such would have only those goals that are to the benefit of the Dominican Society.
I know it sounds like a pipe dream, but plausible solutions could be offered by the means of full page ads in prominent periodicals and on the Web for those who are interested enough to plug in.
Futile---NO! Ambitious---YES! But then the first step to success is always short.

Texas Bill

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Every little bit helps

Mr. Bill.. this is a great subject.living in the US and following this board.." I think that everyone can help in a certain way". I see on this board for the most part, problems in the country.... but for the most part no one does a lick to make things better, ...but they will tell you what should be done and are the biggest complainers of what's wrong. Please understand by no means is this referred to the givers.I understand which I believe ..if you were not born here, you ARE not entitled to vote. Maybe I'm wrong, but still that has nothing to do with people taking charge setting up... committees, fund-raising organizations, programs to help out the country. Believe me when you have the media on your side.... politicians will take notice. Realistically just think how many members are on this board alone. With so many very intelligent people on this board..." not me " how much nicer everyone can make the Dominican Republic as far as first off, education, crime, poverty level, garbage, electricity situation, roadways, that's just the start,... but it takes people that care to do this."SO IF EVERYONE PLAYS ON THE TEAM YOU HAVE A WINNER. Now think about how many others that would see change happening and join in ;) ;) , maybe be a snowball ? But until you try?.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
easygoin---

My sentiments exactly!!
I've probably been one of the most outspoken (sometimes nastily so) member of this board toward what I have viewed as malfeasence in office, corruption, inadequate educational opportunities, etc., etc.--ad infinitum....

I recogize that simple bitching and letting off steam through frustration will not solve the many problems down here.

I moved here in AD 2000 and have married a wonderful Dominicana with 3 wonderful boys for and to whom I truly want to leave a better country.

Yes, I'll continue to bitch my head off, but additionally I want to try and contribute to the betterment of this society.

And No, I'm not aan altruist. Quite the contrary. It's just that having existed for the past 78-odd years, i'd like to leave this place in a little better shape than I found it. That's all. I'll do what I can locally since I can't vote ( I'm a retired USAF Officer and therefore can't become a citizen of another country without losing everything financially), but I can voice my objections to the wy things are through forums and clubs, which I intend to do without stepping on too many toes.

Texas Bill

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
easygoin said:
I understand which I believe ..if you were not born here, you ARE not entitled to vote...
Is that true? I thought all citizens were entitled to vote.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Beating your head against a block wall

Texas Bill said:
My sentiments exactly!!
I've probably been one of the most outspoken (sometimes nastily so) member of this board toward what I have viewed as malfeasence in office, corruption, inadequate educational opportunities, etc., etc.--ad infinitum....

I recogize that simple bitching and letting off steam through frustration will not solve the many problems down here.

I moved here in AD 2000 and have married a wonderful Dominicana with 3 wonderful boys for and to whom I truly want to leave a better country.

Yes, I'll continue to bitch my head off, but additionally I want to try and contribute to the betterment of this society.

And No, I'm not aan altruist. Quite the contrary. It's just that having existed for the past 78-odd years, i'd like to leave this place in a little better shape than I found it. That's all. I'll do what I can locally since I can't vote ( I'm a retired USAF Officer and therefore can't become a citizen of another country without losing everything financially), but I can voice my objections to the wy things are through forums and clubs, which I intend to do without stepping on too many toes.

Texas Bill

People with money in a third world country..born there...expat for the most part say how they're going to help clean things up. Meanwhile everyday they have plenty of food, clean clothes, electric, hot water, title floors, AC or ceiling fans, TV, transportation and so many other things, that they take for granted. And in the end fail to help the underprivileged... that wish they could have a 10th of what these people have.

Sorry Bill, i'm totally wrong in that statement, you know why? Because these poor kids do not know what one tenth better is. That's because most people with money do not involve ourselves in community work, charity organizations, sporting events for the underprivileged. I don't care if you have three kids or zero. There is no reason why you cannot help out a underprivileged child. By this I mean taking them to the park, ballgame,zoo.. and just think that his or her mother was only 14-15 you would be showing her a much better side of life, and hopefully she takes to it and tries to make her life better for her and her children for years to come. Every little bit helps.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Contributing does help those who don't have the means--

to carry out their goals or efforts of betterment.
I have recently begun focusing on the sport of Judo here in Santiago. Having entered the 3 boys and my niece into the classes.
In addition, have contributed a considerable amount toward the purchase of the uniforms worn while participating in the sport.
I have derived a bit of satisfaction from these efforts and will continue to seek other mediums wherein my contributions will be beneficial.
It's only a begining, but maybe that begining will grow into a fruitful endeavor.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Texas Bill

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Both of you said it much better than I, in my usual inarticulate way, did so.
Negativism is an insidious beast that creeps into our thinking processes while we don't even realize it. I know, I'm guilty of such myself.
What i was trying to do and still wish to do (despite the condescending and sarcastic remarks engendered) is to plant a seed that may grow into a fruit-bearing tree of dedicated helpfulness to a beleagured government that is struggling to solve the problems left it by an inarticulate, self-serving administration.
There is a huge reservoir of expertise in the Expat community that is going to waste where it could, possibly, do some good with cohesive thinking on particular problems. And such would have only those goals that are to the benefit of the Dominican Society.
I know it sounds like a pipe dream, but plausible solutions could be offered by the means of full page ads in prominent periodicals and on the Web for those who are interested enough to plug in.
Futile---NO! Ambitious---YES! But then the first step to success is always short.

Texas Bill

i have never seen so much crappy jargon in one post. i wanted to select the best bits, but the whole post, complete, is unnecessary .... and i hesitate to repeat the word......jargon.
"a huge reservoir of expertise in the expat community"........come on! what expertise? what are you talking about? give me some examples of this expertise.
a full page ad in a prominent periodical?.....am i the only one that thinks that is idiotic?
a pipe dream?.....sounds more like some right-wing cocaine nightmare to me.

and what's that about being a retired usaf officer so you can't become a citizen of any other country without losing everything financially? sounds more to me like you are not as committed to change in the d.r. as you claim, so let's try with "won't" become a citizen instead of "can't".

even though i am on your 'ignore' list, maybe someone else could pass the message on that sending your kids to judo is the most sensible thing you have said/done.

i could say that i am currently regurgitating phlegm and other putrid solid objects in the convenience off the master bedroom after reading this.......but i prefer to cut out the jargon, get to the point and say;

.........this post is making me puke.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Glad to have made your day boninche---

Maybe you should look up some of the laws of the land as refers to retired members of the armed forces who elect to become citizens of another country...expecially those whose security clearances went beyound
Classified". But then what should one expect from someone as ignorant as you have demonstrated.
As to making you "puke", I hope you have the decency to clean it up afterward. But I seriously doubt you have even that small amount left in you after the demonstration of sarcasm you expressed.
BTW, have you ever made the attempt at learning "common decency" in your relationships with others???

Texas Bill