International health insurance

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
We have recently inquired about international health insurance, something that would cover catastrophic diseases for our family of 3 (2 35 yos and a newborn baby, non-smokers and in perfect health) and were surprised to find out that it would cost nearly US$6000.00/year. I have heard many ex-pats mentioning here that they have international health insurance and was wondering if maybe you know of a company that is cheaper. We have no problem with buying insurance for local coverage, but we would like to have that extra-coverage should life throw us a fast ball.

Any ideas?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I have no advice to give what-so-ever on this topic. Just wanted to say that it's good to see you posting, Mommy! :classic:

p2020

May 28, 2004
Pib said:
We have recently inquired about international health insurance, something that would cover catastrophic diseases for our family of 3 (2 35 yos and a newborn baby, non-smokers and in perfect health) and were surprised to find out that it would cost nearly US$6000.00/year. I have heard many ex-pats mentioning here that they have international health insurance and was wondering if maybe you know of a company that is cheaper. We have no problem with buying insurance for local coverage, but we would like to have that extra-coverage should life throw us a fast ball.

Any ideas?

I believe IHI (http://www.ihi.com) provides one of the more comprehensive coverages and you can decide what premium you pay depending on the deductible you want. And children under the age of 12 (it might be less) are covered for free with the same benefits. You could pay a lot less than 6,000, depending on the deductible you choose.

You can find the brochure here:

http://www.ihi.com/english/individual/1/15.asp

You could apply directly, but they also have agents in the DR, just ask them to recommend you one of them.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am paying $1,866 for one adult an 2 children. I don't have the policy here right now, but it covers something like $1,000,000 per person with a $2,000 deductible. It is an international policy with Seguros Popular that I got trough Sabine Mertes in Sosua. She is away until September, I believe. - D