Starting the journey...help me!!!!

Loulou

Jul 9, 2005
I am about to start journey of bringing my husband to be, a beautiful Dominican man to Canada. He was been approved for a Work Visa in Canada and we are awaiting the "release" from D.R. My question is, as long as he has his proof of being single, can we marry here? Can anyone answer this question??? By the way I am sure this will be one of ten thousand questions I will have. Be patient with me

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hi Loulou. Welcome to the DR1 community! I cannot answer your question but I am sure you will get all the answers you need. Why don't you start another thread telling us about yourself, your future husband and how the two of you got together?

Larry

Loulou

Jul 9, 2005
what can I say... We met while I was on vacation a couple of years ago, kept in touch and hooked up this past spring. He was actually working at the hotel I was staying at and we just...let it happen. Or I let it happen. Which ever the case, we are so in love. Since then I've returned twice and we are just crazy about each other. I've stayed with he and his family at their home in Moca and they are all wonderful, kind, generous people. All 13 of us in a little cinder block house. It was the most wonderful week of my life. He has been offered a job as a Spanish Translator with a friend of mine's company who has international dealings in Mexico, D.R., Cuba and I think peru. The position is for 2 years. They need a translator and since he speaks six languages, he was considered qualified for the posting, by the Canadian government. The kicker is, he really doesn't want to live in Canada but will come and work for my friend until my daughter, who is 16 graduates from high school. At that time it is our intent to move back to D.R. and start a business together. That's about it.. We met, feel in love and can't live without each other. As the title in my post suggests, we or I am just starting this journey of trying to get together as husband and wife. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have you read EVERYTHING in this forum?

We have a wealth of information, especially on bringing Dominicans to the USA, Canada or Europe.

I suggest you do a little research, then come back and ask more specific questions. Also, be prepared for the "sankie" and "DDD" posts etc etc.

bill11

Dec 19, 2004
LouLou,
I do not know about the immigration to canada but on american immigration laws if you married here you would have to wait up to 4-5 yeras untill he gets the American citizenship. Untill that time your husband will not be allowed to enter the USA. I think it would be easier for you if you apply for fianse"s visa and as soon as you are in Canada you marry and your husband gets the residence,can work and you can be together. but again you'd better to hear from someone who is more informed about the situation with canadian immigration laws.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Loulou said:
what can I say... We met while I was on vacation a couple of years ago, kept in touch and hooked up this past spring. He was actually working at the hotel I was staying at and we just...let it happen. Or I let it happen. Which ever the case, we are so in love. Since then I've returned twice and we are just crazy about each other. I've stayed with he and his family at their home in Moca and they are all wonderful, kind, generous people. All 13 of us in a little cinder block house. It was the most wonderful week of my life. He has been offered a job as a Spanish Translator with a friend of mine's company who has international dealings in Mexico, D.R., Cuba and I think peru. The position is for 2 years. They need a translator and since he speaks six languages, he was considered qualified for the posting, by the Canadian government. The kicker is, he really doesn't want to live in Canada but will come and work for my friend until my daughter, who is 16 graduates from high school. At that time it is our intent to move back to D.R. and start a business together. That's about it.. We met, feel in love and can't live without each other. As the title in my post suggests, we or I am just starting this journey of trying to get together as husband and wife. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Loulou,

I hope his love for you is a genuine love but you must be very careful with this guy as well as anybody you fall in love with because they come dressed in lamb when they are really foxes underneath all that lamb coat.

Just make sure you check this guy out really good because he could be a big time scam artist throwing the hook at you and just letting you bite to see how far you chew on it.

Something just don't sound right with him but I wish you good luck and hopefully he is not a full-fledge sankie.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
I have to agree with Mr. DR, but then I am skeptical by nature. We would all like to hear how this comes out, so keep in touch. Especially, after the two year stint in Canada. We'll be here.

BTW, living in a small cinder block house with 13 people for a week may be fun and different, but for a lifetime?? Once again, good luck.

PPS - Aren't there any men up there in Canada? Are they all too busy watching hockey??

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Mr_DR said:
Hey Loulou,

I hope his love for you is a genuine love but you must be very careful with this guy as well as anybody you fall in love with because they come dressed in lamb when they are really foxes underneath all that lamb coat.

Just make sure you check this guy out really good because he could be a big time scam artist throwing the hook at you and just letting you bite to see how far you chew on it.

Something just don't sound right with him but I wish you good luck and hopefully he is not a full-fledge sankie.

i agree with Mr. Dr

be ware... and hopefully the guy is genuine.

on a side note:
once i pm'ed someone from dr1 about a guy she was dating
and so in love.. from sources i knew what kind of guy he was... but she didn't believe and said it was all gossip from
the town... my source was someone who grew up with the guy and knew more than a tourist... but she did not believe and marry the guy... sometimes you try to help but people just believe whatever they want to believe.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Your right! I think some people just have to end up learning the hard way unfortunatly.

Good luck to you Loulou, wish you all the best!

THE GAME said:
i agree with Mr. Dr

be ware... and hopefully the guy is genuine.

on a side note:
once i pm'ed someone from dr1 about a guy she was dating
and so in love.. from sources i knew what kind of guy he was... but she didn't believe and said it was all gossip from
the town... my source was someone who grew up with the guy and knew more than a tourist... but she did not believe and marry the guy... sometimes you try to help but people just believe whatever they want to believe.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I don't think everyones getting soft.
I personally am just not in the mood today, it gets tiring and takes some energy trying to explain over and over. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes at times when I read some posts :tired:

Conchman said:
Are you guys getting soft? LOL

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There is a lot more to being a translator.....

than being able to speak six languages unless the translations being done are strictly verbal.
Good luck to your 'novio' as I doubt greatly once he arrives that he will be employed very long if this is a 'business' position that needs true translation services.
If it's like the 'translation' job one of my sons' had a few years back in the states (obtained through a friend) all he had to do was sit by the phone in case 'translation' services were needed and he collected a paycheck for his time (he did need to translate on day - verbal only- so he conferenced a call with my hubby to do the actual Italian to English/English to Italian).
It was good pay for not having to do anything and his 'friend' got a cut!

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for the best!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm moving this to the legal section. It's a legal question not a relationship question.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Just out of curiosity, how many days in TOTAL have you two been together (in person not in phone calls)?

Loulou

Jul 9, 2005
To respond to some of the replies to the posts... We have been "together" full time for 72 days... The longest stretch being 32 days. We have been in touch on a daily basis via the computer, phone or email for almost 2 years. I am not completely new to the D.R. I've been visiting/vacationing over the past 10 years and do have what I believe are friends there. They tell me that my man is a sincere fellow. He is not a party animal, rarely seen in bars or clubs after work. As people in my neck of the woods are extremly nosey, I am forever getting "reports" back about how is doing and he usually sends me a note back when he knows tourists are from area. If he is having affairs I don't know when he would have the time to do it as we are online or back and forth on the phone all day...or he is working. Yeah I know it only takes 15 minutes but he could easily be saying the same thing about me. He doesn't have people visiting back and forth between here and D.R. His job is a real translation position and mainly oral. If and when he comes to Canada, we are not going to just skip off and get married. We will continue to live together for awhile before I take the final plunge. I've been married before and will not get stung again. He has agreed to sign a prenuptual agreement without hesitation. This is to just cover my butt in case some rich uncle I dont know about ever leaves me money or I win the 6-49. The truth is he is better off financially than I am. He is aware that I am not a well-to-do lady with nothing to offer him but myself. Maybe I do sound naive, but I have covered every angle to protect myself and my daughter. I have nothing for him to take. I dont know who asked was there no one in Canada for me to meet? Ummm...if there was should I not have met him already? I thank you all for your imput and as I said if there is any other thing I should think about which I have not, please let me know. I value the advice of the experienced...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Loulou said:
They tell me that my man is a sincere fellow.

After 72 days together, you call this man your future husband? You need other people to report back to you and tell you what this guy is like. Aren't YOU supposed to spend enough time with him so that YOU can determine if he is a sincere fellow before deciding you want to marry him? Am I missing something?

I give this relationship a 5% chance of working.

Larry (odds maker)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"72 days"! No need to say more on the subject! Another point, when bringing a person into Canada, don't you have to make yourself responsible for this person for 10 years? Please just be careful with your new found love, most come with many hidden surprises!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
juanita said:
"72 days"! No need to say more on the subject! Another point, when bringing a person into Canada, don't you have to make yourself responsible for this person for 10 years? Please just be careful with your new found love, most come with many hidden surprises!

If he gets a work visa from an employer than no. But if they live together or get married she'll have to share that 6-49 winnings. ;)

If his work visa is for two years then she can live with him for that time to how they get along before getting married.

The pre-nup is a great idea but find out what you're on the hook for while living together.

Loulou

Jul 9, 2005
That is exactly the plan Anna. Live together, get married and return to D.R. together. The prenuptual/preco-habitational agreement is to cover the 6-49 winnings and Uncle ???'s will, while living together or married. It also coveres his land and assets in D.R. It is completely legal and binding internationally. Since I am not his sponsor, I am not legally responsible for him for the next 10 years. If he does skip off on me, he wouldn't necessarily be any different from alot of the other bo-honk men that live in Canada or the U.S. Do you people think I haven't thought about how bad I would feel if this doesn't work out? That was why I took so long to accept him. I do believe there are good people and bad people in all countries, but I do feel he is sincere and loves me. Thanks again for the input people. By the way, regarding 72 days together (in-person), is as if were in the same city...dated a couple of months dating (weekends only).... gradually increasing the dating until you fall and love, and decide this is the person I want to marry. I wasn't aware there was a time limit attached to relationships.