Problems with Cuba roundtrip ?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If I'm not a resident in DR, and my returnticket to Europa is expired, will it be a problem to buy a weeks roundtrip ticket to Cuba in the DR ?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
DR->Cuba Faq

Tor said:
If I'm not a resident in DR, and my returnticket to Europa is expired, will it be a problem to buy a weeks roundtrip ticket to Cuba in the DR ?
I'm not sure what your situation is, but I believe that all you would need is a passport and some cash.

-Helpmann :)

LOGISTICS:
1. Cubana airlines flys between Havana and Santo Domingo (SDQ) on Thursdays and Sundays. [SDQ->Havana: Thr/Sun: 1:35pm - 3:30pm; Havana->SDQ Thr/Sun: 9:55am - 12:05pm]
2. COST: US$409 + US$20 (tourist card) + US$20 (departure tax) = US$449.00 cash
3. The round-trip ticket was bought at the Cubana airlines check-in desk at Las Americas 2 hours before the flight (the Cubana SDQ desk is only open the day of departure, 2-3 hours before the flight lifts off.)
4. The ticket was purchased by a man working out of his suitcase, standing next to the check-in desk (I was directed by a Cubana employee at the check-in desk to purchase my ticket from him.)
5. I checked-in approx. 90lbs of luggage (2 suitcases) and brought one carry-on. On the return flight, I could only check-in 30 Kilos of luggage. I was 13 Kilos overweight and was charged approx. US$4.50/lb (cost of US$60.)
6. Flight time: 2 hours on a Russian Jet (a meal was served, it was not very good :(.)
7. While passing through customs, I was questioned about my reasons for being in Cuba (leisure)
8. My passport was not stamped (it's a given that Cuban officials will not stamp US passports.)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tor said:
No problem at all.
One thing has nothing to do with the other.
If you have a valid passport, you're in business.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ok thanks. I just thougt that when I can't buy a roudtrip ticket to Europa from DR, theoretically it would be the same to Cuba.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tor said:
Ok thanks. I just thougt that when I can't buy a roudtrip ticket to Europa from DR, theoretically it would be the same to Cuba.
Actually will help you leave the country and start the clock all over again. If you overstayed you may have to pay the fine but it will be less the next time because of the new stamp.

Escott

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
But I believe that he is going to have to have a return ticket to somewhere when he returns to the DR. Just like entering for the first time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HOWMAR said:
But I believe that he is going to have to have a return ticket to somewhere when he returns to the DR. Just like entering for the first time.

The only thing that will determine the amount of the fine, if any will be the date on the tourist card, which will be later because of the trip and thus less money

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HOWMAR said:
Nobody asks to see a return ticket once you get here, that I know of, and even if they did, one could say, of course I have one, it's at my house. I was just taking a vacation within my vacation.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Before I got my residency, I was forced several times by American Airlines to purchase a ticket out of the DR before they let me on the plane - because I had no valid return ticket out of the DR.

Ironically, Dominican officials at Immigration couldnt care less about this and I doubt Cuban officials or Cuban airline personnel would - but its a possibility.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nothing to worry about. I've taken numerous round trips to Mexico, Central America and to other Caribbean islands (inc. Cuba) from the DR both before and after becoming a resident. It's not an issue.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky said:
Nobody asks to see a return ticket once you get here, that I know of, and even if they did, one could say, of course I have one, it's at my house. I was just taking a vacation within my vacation.
In practice you are probably correct, but technically you must have an outbound ticket when entering the DR unless you can produce a residencia or a long-term employment contract. Granted, DR immigration usually don't ask. But they may. This is the reason most US air carriers won't allow you to board a flight to the DR without a flight out.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Conchman said:
Before I got my residency, I was forced several times by American Airlines to purchase a ticket out of the DR before they let me on the plane - because I had no valid return ticket out of the DR.

Ironically, Dominican officials at Immigration couldnt care less about this and I doubt Cuban officials or Cuban airline personnel would - but its a possibility.
American Airlines are so finicky about stuff like that.
They remind me of Lilly Tomlin doing her skit on the phone company and how they were omnipotent.
I remember going to the POP airport 12 years ago, before all this 911 stuff, and wanted to buy a return ticket to Puerto Rico for the weekend.
They wanted to see my passport.
I told her that I didn't need a passport to buy a ticket. I needed it to board the airplane, but not to buy the ticket.
Anyhow, it took getting a supervisor to get it straight.
Heck, nowadays, people buy tickets online.
Are they showing American Airlines their passports at the time of purchase?
Now they don't feed their passengers, from what I understand, on these short flights from NYC.
They're just a miserable bunch of SOB's who go outof their way to make one's flight as unpleasant as possible.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Rocky said:
American Airlines are so finicky about stuff like that.
They remind me of Lilly Tomlin doing her skit on the phone company and how they were omnipotent.
I remember going to the POP airport 12 years ago, before all this 911 stuff, and wanted to buy a return ticket to Puerto Rico for the weekend.
They wanted to see my passport.
I told her that I didn't need a passport to buy a ticket. I needed it to board the airplane, but not to buy the ticket.
Anyhow, it took getting a supervisor to get it straight.
Heck, nowadays, people buy tickets online.
Are they showing American Airlines their passports at the time of purchase?
Now they don't feed their passengers, from what I understand, on these short flights from NYC.
They're just a miserable bunch of SOB's who go outof their way to make one's flight as unpleasant as possible.
Read your last sentence again...
What a STUPID reply!! no I take that back..IGNORANT is a better word.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A friend of mine was taking AA to the D.R. When he got to the ticket counter in Miami they told him he needed to purchase a return ticket. After some arguing he told them to cancel his flight and refund his one-way ticket. Guess What? Sir, we will make an exception this time you can fly on the one-way ticket.

AA is garbage, pure and simple. They are hustlers and will try and rob you any way possible.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
HOWMAR said:
This should get interesting..........
Common...a bunch of SOB's trying to make your life miserable? I think American does a pretty good job, as do most of the carriers. Wonder when the last time was he flew American. The comment is totally out of text. American has the cheapest sale on airfare for them in several years. $463 from Hartford via San Juan and similar for other east coast departures. Butttt they are SOB's LOL

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
SKY said:
A friend of mine was taking AA to the D.R. When he got to the ticket counter in Miami they told him he needed to purchase a return ticket. After some arguing he told them to cancel his flight and refund his one-way ticket. Guess What? Sir, we will make an exception this time you can fly on the one-way ticket.

AA is garbage, pure and simple. They are hustlers and will try and rob you any way possible.
I think you will find that flying out of Miami can be trouble no matter what carrier you're useing, I NEVER go thru Miami because of all the crap, and opt to change in San Juan. NO Customs problems, the best flights from the states by far. The few other carriers that serve the DR are either going bankrupt or they advertise fares but try and get a ticket(like Sprit or PanAm. They simply don't exsist.
If American is garbage, suggest a better airline for me to travel on, I travel several times a year, and fly out of Hartford, I would love to hear your suggestions. Also I didn't mention, I fly for the tax only 130 US from BDL Hummm

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
SKY said:

AA has the CHEAPEST airfares they have had in fall sales for years. Hartford via San Juan is 463US. You have to avoid Miami, it is trouble no matter which carrier you are dealing with. That's why San Juan is a HOME RUN. I fly several times a year to the DR, I would love to hear your suggestions on a better deal than American, other than Sprit or Pan Am which you can't get tickets for. There advertised fares simply don't exsist.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From where you are traveling from there are no better alternatives. Right now AA has a fare sale which ends very soon.. Then it will go up again. The problem with AA to the Caribbean is they are a virtual monopoly and act like one.