Question on Medical exams

FORD

Nov 12, 2004
Without cost being a factor - what is the "hands down" best medical hospital/clinic to undergo a medical exam (colonoscopy) in country. Assuming of course you decided that you didn't want to return to the United States and assuming (naturally) that the results of the test are of critical importance?

Is it possible to find a gastroenterologist who is American/European trained and can speak English? (My Spanish is quite good but I sure wouldn't want to try to understand medical terminology in Spanish) ;)

Where is the best place? Where por ejemplo does Fernandez go when he needs tests? What would something like this cost?

thank you all,
FORD

FORD

Nov 12, 2004
O.K. after posting my question I did some searching of the forums and found a great deal of info on the "Best of the DR" board.

Anyone want to offer anymore info here - I'd appreciate it. :)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
FORD said:
Where is the best place? Where por ejemplo does Fernandez go when he needs tests? What would something like this cost?

thank you all,
FORD

Hippo went to Clinica Abreu as did Belaguer (sp?) to die, basically, as once I had to go to Abreu for ruling out Dengue and the army was surrounding the place since Hippo was inside. There is a military hospital specifically for the leader on the San Isidro airbase but with the precedent of dictators meeting their demise in places like that apparently they are unpopular for sitting presidents to use. Or the care may be substandard. Or both.

BTW once I told the General in charge that the Consul General of Canada (a lie) personally told me to go to Abreu, and once I was accompanied by a bilingual captain provided by them, they let me in to see the medics while Hippo was having a mole on his heinie removed or something.

Prior to me telling them that story, they had closed the place to access and did not want to let me in, though I assume they didn't boot out the patients already inside.

Go there but make sure Fernandez is making a speech in public or you know where he is other than there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
FORD said:
Is it possible to find a gastroenterologist who is American/European trained and can speak English? (My Spanish is quite good but I sure wouldn't want to try to understand medical terminology in Spanish) ;)

I highly recommend Dr. Fernando Contreras, the gastroenterologist Barbara and I have gone to for years, at Clinica Abreu. He was the lead doctor on the team assigned to care for Ballaguer when he went to the hospital to die. He was trained in the US and speaks American English like a native. In fact, it is time for me to have another colonscope exam so I will be seeing him soon.

He has 2 offices, so try both if you call him: 809-221-2391, 809-567-1815.

His email address is fernandocontreras@hotmail.com If you'd like, you can tell him I gave you the address.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Tamborista said:
New name for Rick = Putztoronto.

You continue to be an idiot with meaningless comments like that. Abreu is the best place and that is were ex-presidents have gone - e.g a direct and factual response to the question.