USA & Dominican Culture

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hello Everybody,

Recently 2 Dominican "friends" of mine came to visit the good ol' USA. I just realize that they are to some precent Americanized... I mean they speak MTV english, dress like American teens/ young adults... basically I'm saying they act like American suburban teens/ young adults (Imagine The OC or MTVs Laguna Beach :dead: :disappoin )... they even listen to scrEMO music (I wish for a throwing up smiley).
What's my main point of this thread you may be asking? The point is exactly how much influence is American pop culture having on Dominicans teens/ young adults?
Are only Dominican teens/ young adults from well to do families experiencing this American impact?
Is American influence increasing in DR?

Sincerely,
Capo

P. S. I stated "well to do Dominicans" only because I believe the poorer ones won't have the same access to TV/Music as the richer ones. :nervous:

Disclaimer: This thread is related only to cultural impact the USA has had on DR citizens not about Dominicans living in the USA or related to politics.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
100% Americanized Specially The Low Income Kids (they Speak American) Cocacola Pizza Hut, Nike, Mtv, Ja Rule, Hbo Etc Etc Etc.

Ahhhh!!!! By The Way This Is Veryyyyyyy Old News.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Great post Capo. I've also noticed this and it bothers me too...not sure why but it does. I hate to go to some establishments (particularly in the capital) and you see all of these young people who completely reject anything dominican and act like they were raised in The US. I cannot stand this attitude specially from people who do not even speak English and have probably never even been in The US.

Examples:
- Only drink Miller - Why you ask? Not because is better than Presidente, but because is imported...because it is american.
- Only listen to US music even though they can't understand a word of it. Merengue, bachata? are you crazy that's Dominican music.
- "Like" american football (even though they have no clue what the rules are and how the game is played.)

These are just a couple of examples, and you're right that the trend tends to happen more in the better off families.

I just came back from The DR and while there went to Acropolis. You could see a lot of that attitude you just mentioned over there. Ended up at Outback Steakhouse, simply because my son wanted to go and you could see that most of the people there had that attitude of "Hey look at me...I'm so cool, because I'm eating at a foreign restaurant...even though I probably have no clue what a porter house is..."

I guess it must be a thing you tend to do when you're young. You don't appreciate you'r own culture and are easily influenced by others. I saw a lot of this in Mexico too...even worse over there.

May 31, 2005
About the only drinking Miller. I think that it's because Miller is more expensive than Presidente, because it's imported. They probably want to let everyone know that they can drink the more expensive beer.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I so agree with you Suarez, I hate that attitude as well and I notice it more in that area you mentioned (Acropolis, the Food Shops, Trio). Is funny b/c many of us that go back to DR are doing 'OK' here, but when we go back we are trying to unwind and chill out. They have no clue that most of what they are listening to is old (old rap songs and out of style hip hop). they are trying so hard to be cool when if they came to the US they would look so ridiculous and corny!

Dragonfly32837 said:
About the only drinking Miller. I think that it's because Miller is more expensive than Presidente, because it's imported. They probably want to let everyone know that they can drink the more expensive beer.

haahah. Watered down american beer. "An expensive import." That is so funny.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
You know what, the Miller thing I can relate to. I actually cannot drink Presidente the first few days I'm there (unless I want to feel nice within a few sips) so I start with Miller. If I'm at a place that serves Corona, I rather that as well. By the first week, I'm downing Presidentes like they are going out of style but I have to start slow...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
sancochojoe said:

Don't laugh too loud, isn't Heineken an expensive import in the US? really now....

May 31, 2005
sancochojoe said:
It's true. Haven't you been to any restaurant or bars in the DR? Miller is more expensive than Presidente. I hate Miller myself. I love my Presidente.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Talldrink said:
You know what, the Miller thing I can relate to. I actually cannot drink Presidente the first few days I'm there (unless I want to feel nice within a few sips) so I start with Miller. If I'm at a place that serves Corona, I rather that as well. By the first week, I'm downing Presidentes like they are going out of style but I have to start slow...

Talldrink: The difference is that you're doing it for a good reason, not because you want to be like "Hey...I'm so cool!"

BTW: Great pics in the gallery...make me want to have a drink...a Talldrink that is. Sorry couldn't resist...

Last edited:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
It is sad, you see these young ones that haven't had a year in the U.S yet, and they be talking that horrible " Spanglish" , instead of proper Spanish. That shows a total lack of culture. Also , many youth listening to that garbage music " hip hop"; praising thughs like 50 Cents, calling each other " niggas" ,etc. All that " ghetto" culture taking over. It is a disgrace

ANTONIO RONDON

Aug 14, 2005
That,s Right!!!

suarezn said:
Great post Capo. I've also noticed this and it bothers me too...not sure why but it does. I hate to go to some establishments (particularly in the capital) and you see all of these young people who completely reject anything dominican and act like they were raised in The US. I cannot stand this attitude specially from people who do not even speak English and have probably never even been in The US.

Examples:
- Only drink Miller - Why you ask? Not because is better than Presidente, but because is imported...because it is american.
- Only listen to US music even though they can't understand a word of it. Merengue, bachata? are you crazy that's Dominican music.
- "Like" american football (even though they have no clue what the rules are and how the game is played.)

These are just a couple of examples, and you're right that the trend tends to happen more in the better off families.

I just came back from The DR and while there went to Acropolis. You could see a lot of that attitude you just mentioned over there. Ended up at Outback Steakhouse, simply because my son wanted to go and you could see that most of the people there had that attitude of "Hey look at me...I'm so cool, because I'm eating at a foreign restaurant...even though I probably have no clue what a porter house is..."

I guess it must be a thing you tend to do when you're young. You don't appreciate you'r own culture and are easily influenced by others. I saw a lot of this in Mexico too...even worse over there.
DOMINICANS LOST THE KEY OF BEING CARRIBENO THAT,S THE PROBLEM MAN.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
asopao said:
It is sad, you see these young ones that haven't had a year in the U.S yet, and they be talking that horrible " Spanglish" , instead of proper Spanish. That shows a total lack of culture. Also , many youth listening to that garbage music " hip hop"; praising thughs like 50 Cents, calling each other " niggas" ,etc. All that " ghetto" culture taking over. It is a disgrace

Hey Asopao, take it easy. You are all over the place with this post and one thing does not have to do with the other. You are using sentences like: "...and they be talking that horrible..." and also "...many youth listening to that garbage music..." and YOU sound like a disgrace.

Lets not turn this into why African American influence is good or bad and whatnot. That was not the point of the original post and its really not necessary as opinions vary so much. Im so tired of the conversations that turn in to why 'the man' is so bad.

BTW: Suarez, thanks.

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Music, culture, food, sports .....

The DR has influences from other societies and there is nothing truly 'original' in music (Merengue, Bachata, Raggaeton, .... Spanish, Caribbean, ..... influences?), fashion, etc.

One poster mentioned that some Dominicans pretend to like American Football. What about Dominicans passion for Baseball? Maybe, these people do like the music, sports, etc. Don't close your mind. :classic:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
shadInToronto said:
The DR has influences from other societies and there is nothing truly 'original' in music (Merengue, Bachata, Raggaeton, .... Spanish, Caribbean, ..... influences?), fashion, etc.

One poster mentioned that some Dominicans pretend to like American Football. What about Dominicans passion for Baseball? Maybe, these people do like the music, sports, etc. Don't close your mind. :classic:

The originality of the DR is in the mix of influences, it's what makes it appealing. And which culture is completely 'original'? That's probably a very closed, conservative and boring culture. But there is a difference between being open to international influences because you like them and adopting an American lifestyle out of snobism.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I went to the Dominican Parade in NYC on Sunday and almost all of the young dominicans were wearing their hats to the side, XXXL t-shirts and big baggy jeans off their butts. They are fully emerged in the young american hip-hop/reggaeton culture.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Is like everything else, is only a stage. Once these guys are older and start a different club scene they will start to wear their tighter (MUUUCH tighter) jeans. Most of them grow out of this. Very rarely will you see a 30 year old Dominican man with this hip hop look (note that I didnt say never).

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Future growth

Talldrink said:
Most of them grow out of this. Very rarely will you see a 30 year old Dominican man with this hip hop look (note that I didnt say never).
Actually they grow into their baggy attire - beer gut and big butt :) :) :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Interstingly enough it's not only the youth, American culture is being affected by our presence as well. As a matter of fact, front and center in the Washington Post yesterday was a PAGE-WIDE ARTICLES on Daddy Yankee... and the evolution of Reggeaton. Check it out...it is a two-way street.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/12/AR2005081200376.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/12/AR2005081200377.html

Enjoy...Tengo Algo Pendiente....(la...la...la)...ella le gusta la Gasoli...

Here's te Got-cha!

"Mas Flow Vol. 2," Luny Tunes and Baby Ranks (Mas Flow/Universal Latino): Francisco "Luny" Saldana and Victor "Tunes" Cabrera have produced just about every reggaeton artist of note, from Ivy and Tego Calderon to Don Omar and Yankee. The Dominican-born duo's songs feature jerky dancehall beats and aggressive synthesizer vamps. The standout: Wisin y Yandel's "Rakata," one of the biggest reggaeton hits of the summer.

Ra-ka-ta, Ra-ka-ta!!! Mas Flow, Mas Flow....