Closest good beach to Santo Domingo

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Hello,

I am traveling to the Dominican Republic in November and we are staying at two hotels in Santiago and Santo Domingo. While in Santo Domingo, I will have about a day of free time and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good and close beaches? How much would a taxi be? Jetski rental is also a plus.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
nlove88 said:
I am traveling to the Dominican Republic in November and we are staying at two hotels in Santiago and Santo Domingo. While in Santo Domingo, I will have about a day of free time and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good and close beaches? How much would a taxi be? Jetski rental is also a plus.
There are no beaches in Santo Domingo. The nearest beach would be Boca Chica, which is about 30-40 minutes from Santo Domingo. I don't believe they rent Jet Skis in BC.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
How much is a taxi ride from downtown Santo Domingo to Boca Chica? Also, is it easy to get a taxi back from Boca Chica?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Boca Chica Cab

nlove88 said:
How much is a taxi ride from downtown Santo Domingo to Boca Chica? Also, is it easy to get a taxi back from Boca Chica?
It's about 900 pesos from downtown Santo Domingo to Boca Chica by taxi. They do rent jet skis in Boca Chica as well as paddle and motor boats. You can grab a cab back from Boca Chica on Duarte near the Don Juan Beach Resort or on the opposite end (east) of the beach on Caracol near the Hamaca Hilton. A cab back from Boca Chica will most likely cost you more.

-Helpmann :)

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
US$ 60+ R/T seems a bit pricey to spend a day at the beach. Unless you're fabulously well-to-do, you might want to do a search on gua-guas, which run between Santo Domingo and Boca Chica at a fraction of the cost.

A somewhat related question. On the North coast, I found that buying up all the seats for a Caro Publico was an economical, uncrowded way to travel between POP, Sosua and Cabarete. Are there any that run between SD and BC?

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Well, I guess I could grab a guagua to and from Boca Chica. My only set back in my experiance with "local transportation" In Thailand, if any of you are firmilar with TukTuks (three wheeled motor bikes with an open aired cabin in the back) http://www.thailandguru.com/transport-tuk-tuk.jpg I was forced to bribe the driver and physically jump out of it while in motion because he was trying to take me somewhere I didn't want to go. Anyway, do most people here feel guaguas are safe? What is it like?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
nlove88 said:
Well, I guess I could grab a guagua to and from Boca Chica. My only set back in my experiance with "local transportation" In Thailand, if any of you are firmilar with TukTuks (three wheeled motor bikes with an open aired cabin in the back) http://www.thailandguru.com/transport-tuk-tuk.jpg I was forced to bribe the driver and physically jump out of it while in motion because he was trying to take me somewhere I didn't want to go. Anyway, do most people here feel guaguas are safe? What is it like?

They're battered 9-person vans with a lot more than 9 people inside. They follow a set route and you can hop on or off at any point, like a bus without bus stops. I wouldn't consider them particularly unsafe.

May 31, 2005
qgrande said:
They're battered 9-person vans with a lot more than 9 people inside. They follow a set route and you can hop on or off at any point, like a bus without bus stops. I wouldn't consider them particularly unsafe.
They have bigger guaguas that are safe. I wouldn't feel safe in a 9 person guagua but they do have big ones.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
qgrande said:
I wouldn't consider them particularly unsafe.
I agree except for the occasional pickpocketers. However, the guagua's are very uncomfortable. I would take a cab.

If you are trying to save money and your plans are somewhat flexible, you may want to consider re-arranging your trip. Assuming you're flying into SDQ, you could spend your first night BC (which is closer to the airport than Santo Domingo) or Juan Dolio. Then head over to Santo Domingo. That way you'd save one cab fare.

One warning, avoid going to BC on Sunday. The beach is very crowded and the traffic to (in the morning) and from (in the evening) the beach is horrendous.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Boca Chica is the closest beach to santo domingo. You can get a bus to boca for like 30 pesos or so. Not the most comfortable mode of trasnportation but way cheaper than a taxi.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/bocachica.html

That page has some videos shot in Boca Chica. Note if you want to go when it is crowded with more of a "party" atmosphere go on saturday or sunday. If you prefer a more quiet day at the beach, go during the week.

If you have a laptop with you, stop by Playa Vista as they now have WIFI access right on the beach!