Deadly insect bite

Becky12082

Jun 21, 2005
I live in the U.S. and this past week in many of our papers, there was an article about a midwest activist/politician so to speak that was vacationing in the DR and was bitten by an "insect" (no further information provided as to what type) He was admitted into one of the local hospital's after complaing of flu like symptoms (fever, exhaustion, etc.) and was planning to return home for more treatment. He died 4 days later of liver and kidney failure. The papers are blaming this insect for his death, and rumor is that it is some type of menangitis. There haven't been any other articles that I can find on this, and am wondering if anyone could have any insight on this...

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Sounds to me like he contracted Malaria from a mosquito bite, can happen almost anywhere. Symptons are a dead giveaway, no pun intended!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
the culprit insect is the aedes aegypti mosquito, the vector for meningoencephalitis and both dengue classic and hemorrhagic fever, caused by an arborvirus for which there's no known cure. According to health authorities, there's currently a bad outbreak, but they fall short on calling it an epidemic.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Now, after reading the article, definetely not dengue related, and probably a case of FHF (fulminant hepatic failure) brought about by hepatitis B virus, or an acute toxicity to an unknown agent, and/or also complicated by immunosuppression.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Mirador said:
Now, after reading the article, definetely not dengue related, and probably a case of FHF (fulminant hepatic failure) brought about by hepatitis B virus, or an acute toxicity to an unknown agent, and/or also complicated by immunosuppression.

In easier-to-undestand language... SOMETHING caused his death!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
the culprit insect is the aedes aegypti mosquito, the vector for meningoencephalitis and both dengue classic and hemorrhagic fever, caused by an arborvirus for which there's no known cure. According to health authorities, there's currently a bad outbreak, but they fall short on calling it an epidemic.
I am interested in the source of this info. I have not heard of this and what little I know about it doesn't add up, as the article mentioned the man dying from liver & kidney failure, whereas encephalits is related to the brain, as per
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/ideas/primary_amebic_meningoencephalitis/faqs/
In this article, one might understand that they are very different symptoms & results from the above mentioned case, and the source, as best as I can tell, is not related to an insect bite.
Of course, it is clear to me and anybody who knows anything about Malaria, that it could not be the case, as the incubation period alone is at least 1 week, and this poor fellow died within 4 days of being bitten, if that had anything to do at all with his death.
But, as you mentioned that the health authorities said there was a bad outbreak, I wonder if you have a website I can go to to read about it.
Thanks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
You need not answer my other post, as I see now that it's answered here.
Shows you how slow a typist I am.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are allergic to them

An ant bite can kill you, or a bee sting.

Something is strange here, since there are a few nasties here: Tarantuals, scorpions and centipedes as well as spiders of different types, and lots of flying bugs like mosquitos.

But dying from an insect bite is reallllly strange.

I wish we hade better information.

Hope they do an autopsy and tell all.

HB :D:D

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Mirador said:
Mirador, I think you have it right. Hepititus B and C are diseases that directly effect the liver, and if left untreated will cause liver failure.
Fact is, it might have had nothing to do with his mosquito bite, and had
been a case of Hepatitus that he was unaware of, or left untreated.
The poor mosquito does take alot of heat!!LOL
Interesting article.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I suspect it's early to know for sure what happened to this poor man.
Dengue is very unlikely to be the cause, as they mention the liver & kidney failure, but even if that was an inacurate diagnosis, the symtoms of dengue don't even start for 3 days from the time of the bite.

"The time between the bite of a mosquito carrying dengue virus and the start of symptoms averages 4 to 6 days, with a range of 3 to 14 days. An infected person cannot spread the infection to other persons but can be a source of dengue virus for mosquitoes for about 6 days."

"Most dengue infections result in relatively mild illness, but some can progress to dengue hemorrhagic fever. With dengue hemorrhagic fever, the blood vessels start to leak and cause bleeding from the nose, mouth, and gums. Bruising can be a sign of bleeding inside the body. Without prompt treatment, the blood vessels can collapse, causing shock (dengue shock syndrome). Dengue hemorrhagic fever is fatal in about 5 percent of cases, mostly among children and young adults."
http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/dengue.html

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ggn420 said:
Mirador, I think you have it right. Hepititus B and C are diseases that directly effect the liver, and if left untreated will cause liver failure.
Fact is, it might have had nothing to do with his mosquito bite, and had
been a case of Hepatitus that he was unaware of, or left untreated.
The poor mosquito does take alot of heat!!LOL
Interesting article.
The time line doesn't fit. Hepatitis B and C are chronic in nature. If he had either he would have had symptoms of liver failure long before his trip here. People suffering from these diseases sometimes wish death would be quicker.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
HOWMAR said:
The time line doesn't fit. Hepatitis B and C are chronic in nature. If he had either he would have had symptoms of liver failure long before his trip here. People suffering from these diseases sometimes wish death would be quicker.
Not true. I contacted Hepatitus C in Viet Nam somewhere between 1969 and 1971. I was flown to a hospital in Germany, after being wounded and from there to San Diego. I to this day have NO symptons at all, they figure I have been infected for 35 years. This was found by accident when blood work was done for some stiches that got infected, and were not healing properly, in Sept. of last year.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ggn420 said:
Not true. I contacted Hepatitus C in Viet Nam somewhere between 1969 and 1971. I was flown to a hospital in Germany, after being wounded and from there to San Diego. I to this day have NO symptons at all, they figure I have been infected for 35 years. This was found by accident when blood work was done for some stiches that got infected, and were not healing properly, in Sept. of last year.
Pardon for not splaining myself clearly. What I was saying was that from the onset of symptoms to death is a chronic progression. Not as acute as this case. Yes, you can live a long life symptom free. This case they related that there was the onset of symptoms followed by death 4 days later. Not typical of a hepatitis induced liver failure.