Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Return ticket needed

Three weeks ago I was in Detroit, when leaving to come back home, I tried to use the return half of my ticket to POP and was told by the AA agent that to enter the country (DR) as an American citzen I needed a return ticket. Therefore I had to buy one way refundable ticket (to Miami). This was a first for me, any similar experiences?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

that's the same for every country in the world.
    if you're not a citizen or if you don't have a residence visa, permit, etc., the airlines and the immigration dept. of the destination are supposed to make sure you have a return ticket.
    if you arrive at your destination without a return ticket the imigration dep't. could well tell the airlines to take you back.

the only exceptions i can think of, is if you are travelling within some of these big economic communities like the european union. maybe you don't need a return ticket if you are a citizen of one of those countries included.

i wouldn't be allowed into the united states without some kind of departure ticket.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No problem from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bochinche
    that's the same for every country in the world.
    if you're not a citizen or if you don't have a residence visa, permit, etc., the airlines and the immigration dept. of the destination are supposed to make sure you have a return ticket.
    if you arrive at your destination without a return ticket the imigration dep't. could well tell the airlines to take you back.

the only exceptions i can think of, is if you are travelling within some of these big economic communities like the european union. maybe you don't need a return ticket if you are a citizen of one of those countries included.

i wouldn't be allowed into the united states without some kind of departure ticket.
    It's probably a USA thing.

Brain Doner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I beleive it's an imigration thing

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy
    It's probably a USA thing.
    I beleive it's an imigration issue. The country you are arriving in is suppose to ask you to show your return ticket upon entry. In most cases they never do,(I have never been asked in the DR) Requirements vary, depending where you're leaving from, I beleive that Canadian laws require you to have a return upon departure, and in the states, although it is not required, most airlines(AA for sure) will try and tell you, you have to have a return, in fact it is not true. You can buy your return in the DR.
    I have also noticed, and from others postings that where the ticket originates from seems to make a difference. While an AA agent in Miami might give you a hard time, one in New York might not.
    Worst note senario would be that imigration would make you puchase a return on your entry.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

interested in selling the one way POP-MIA ticket?

I made the 300,000th post!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strasser3133
    Three weeks ago I was in Detroit, when leaving to come back home, I tried to use the return half of my ticket to POP and was told by the AA agent that to enter the country (DR) as an American citzen I needed a return ticket. Therefore I had to buy one way refundable ticket (to Miami). This was a first for me, any similar experiences?

Nobody believes me but I still have my itinerary and confirmation for my e-ticket, etc, but I bought a one way ticket here back in June. Nobody asked me for any proof of return or anything like that. But now that I'm down here, I keep hearing all the buzz about the requirement to have a return ticket to the states.

I suggest that several universities begin offering graduate programs in airline regulation studies because it's getting to the point where it's so confusing that you need a degree to decipher all of the fine print, rules and the likes.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you got here with a one-way ticket is was simply due to an error by the airline check-in agent. The reason that the airlines require you fly with a return ticket is that they are subject to substantial fines if they present a passenger at a foreign destination and that passenger is denied entry by immigration and they have no return fare paid. In other threads I have read this can be as high as a $100,000 fine against the airline. Since no airline can guarantee your entry into a country (you may be black listed by immigration for many reasons) they make sure that your return is guaranteed.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ
    interested in selling the one way POP-MIA ticket?

i think tickets are non-transferable

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAR
    If you got here with a one-way ticket is was simply due to an error by the airline check-in agent. The reason that the airlines require you fly with a return ticket is that they are subject to substantial fines if they present a passenger at a foreign destination and that passenger is denied entry by immigration and they have no return fare paid. In other threads I have read this can be as high as a $100,000 fine against the airline. Since no airline can guarantee your entry into a country (you may be black listed by immigration for many reasons) they make sure that your return is guaranteed.
    i have flown from JFK NY to STI twice by buying one way
    ticket from american and returning on jetblue (i already
    had both ways paid before departing).... but neither airline
    knew i was flying with the other.... before flying i called custom serv at jetblue to ask if i would have any problems... they only said to make sure i have proof of how i got to dr (a'a ticket stub)... but neither airline asked
    for proof... i did this twice flying to santiago.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be luck of the draw. I fly on one way tickets all the time. I happen to be a permanent resident although no one ever asked or checked. Go figger...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast