There sure are a lot of wealthy people in Santo Domingo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For all of you who have wondered about -where are all the wealthy people?-try the National Teatro. I had the good fortune of attending a proformance Friday nite of Victor/Victoria at the National with fellow board member Lissa Feliz and let me tell you there sure is a lot of money in Santo Domingo. Elegant ladies dressed to the nines, full parking lot with all late model cars, men dressed in jackets and evening clothes, people drinking Champagne at the break, etc. etc. Very impressive.
The show was first rate and as good a show as anything I ever saw on Broadway. For a first class evening and to see another part of life in the DR I would highly recommend a nite at the National.

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Dress Code

rellosk said:
Does the National Theater have a dress code?

My first time there so I was a little unprepared. I wore a white linen shirt with dark pants and was under dressed for the occasion. The other man in our party had a jacket and tie. For the most part all the men had on a jacket and collared shirt without ties. Women very dressy. Place is frigid and no need to worry about being warm. Many men gave up their jackets at intermission to their woman.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
You have no idea.....

I think there are a lot of rich people in Santo Domingo, but the truly wealthy people are few and far between. And those that are wealthy in every sense of the word are almost non-existent. Too many corrupt people amongst their ranks. But there are some good people too amongst them.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes I do have an idea

Jon S. said:
I think there are a lot of rich people in Santo Domingo, but the truly wealthy people are few and far between. And those that are wealthy in every sense of the word are almost non-existent. Too many corrupt people amongst their ranks. But there are some good people too amongst them.

My posting was not meant to be Webster's definition of the two words, nor insight on the source of other people's riches as it relates to the DR - it was mearly a simple observation of my nite at the Teatro and the temperature of the room. LOL at where some people need to go with these postings no matter how simple the concept.

John

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hi Johne, thanks for the post. I was going to ask how much too. But what kind of show is it? you mentioned Broadway, was it a musical? Tell us more. This sounds interesting - I may want to sound Clasica next time I'm asked what I want to do in SD...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Cost

Larry said:
Hi John,

I am curious how much the tickets to the play were.

Larry
Four tix--last row center of Orch. cost $166.oo US

BTW--they dont take American Express--or US dollars. Only pesos or Visa. I was lucky, after waiting 45 minutes on line, I found this out, but the guy behind me offered to take my cash and put it on his Visa.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's a

Talldrink said:
Hi Johne, thanks for the post. I was going to ask how much too. But what kind of show is it? you mentioned Broadway, was it a musical? Tell us more. This sounds interesting - I may want to sound Clasica next time I'm asked what I want to do in SD...

musical Tall Drink BUT I don't think its still there. You need to check the calendar. While on line I saw the ads for two beautiful ballets and dance shows for September

JOHN

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
It is a musical: Victor/Victoria. Blake Edwards made it into a film some years ago starring his wife, Julie Andrews. There are two more shows scheduled for this Friday and Saturday.

John, are you still in SD? I'm in SD until next Tues. Want to get together for a drink? If so, drop me a PM or email.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Rich =well Dress are not exclusive

I have seen well dress middle class. Many Dominican dress above their class status/income level. Many attend the theater to be seen and to impress others. Most wealth is hidden to avoid taxes.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Rich =well Dress are not exclusive

I have seen well dress middle class. Many Dominican dress above their class status/income level. Many attend the theater to be seen and to impress others. Most wealth is hidden to avoid taxes.

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
Rich people

I actually know couple of kids that i either went to school with or just met by hanging out with them. Last march me and a couple of friends decided to go to Taco Bell on Churchill Ave. While i was sitting there i saw past by 1 Ferrari 360 Modena, 1 Maserati and a bentley Continental GT.. every single car was being driven by kids younger than me (i'm 27). There are several wealthy people in Santo Domingo.