Int'l Phone Service from Samana Peninsula

Cyd

Sep 11, 2003
Hello -- I'm a freelance editor in Canada, and I've had enough of winter! This year I'm going to experiment with the so-called flexibility of my job and stay for several months at a place I discovered last year in Las Terrenas. The owner has satellite Internet connection so I'll be able to do 85% of my job that way. But the other 15% is via telephone. He's assured me that there's no problem, that we can get Orange cellular service (there's no phone in my apartment), but when I checked their rates (most of my calls will go to the US) it seems like it's going to be cost-prohibative. Each client call takes about an hour, and I have about 10 clients to call each month.

Does anyone have any advice about reducing the cost of calls to the U.S. from DR? I'm open to anything!

(p.s. Already checked out VOIP, the Internet connection isn't fast enough.)

Thanks for any advice!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can make land-line telephone calls from the Verizon office for less than by cellular. Whether enough less, you will have to decide.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Ken said:
You can make land-line telephone calls from the Verizon office for less than by cellular. Whether enough less, you will have to decide.
You can purchase $25US of time from www.tel3advantage. They will give you another $5 free. You access a 800 number then dial as usuall. There rates are between 7.5 and 8 cents depending on weather it's a lineland or mobile phone you're calling. With your "pin" number, you can call from any phone in the world. Audio quality is excellent.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ggn420 said:
You can purchase $25US of time from www.tel3advantage. They will give you another $5 free. You access a 800 number then dial as usuall. There rates are between 7.5 and 8 cents depending on weather it's a lineland or mobile phone you're calling. With your "pin" number, you can call from any phone in the world. Audio quality is excellent.

I saw your post about this in another thread and have been wondering about it. Where is the 800 number you call if in the DR? Most 800 calls made in the DR require calling 882 and is a pay call.

My son tried one of these cards when he visited us. He brought a card so his calls wouldn't be on our phone. He called an 800 number (882) drawing down the minutes on his card. However, next time the phone bill arrived all those calls were on our bill, starting from when he called the 800 number.

Cyd

Sep 11, 2003
Ken said:

Thanks for the idea! The only problem is that that would involve lugging my computer and some resource books to the Verizon office, which would be too much of a pain. But I'll definitely keep it in mind for calling the family back home.

Cyd

Sep 11, 2003
ggn420 said:

Thank you! That sounds like an excellent deal! I am checking out their website now.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Cyd said:
Thank you! That sounds like an excellent deal! I am checking out their website now.
I wouldn't get too excited until ggn420 replies to Ken's question regarding the toll-free access number in the DR.

ggn420, have you actually used this service in the DR or only in the US?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ggn420 said:
It looks like to leaped before you looked again. Or is it your posts are technically correct, but you leave out one important point. How do you call an 800 # from the DR without paying for it?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
HOWMAR said:
It looks like to leaped before you looked again. Or is it your posts are technically correct, but you leave out one important point. How do you call an 800 # from the DR without paying for it?
The same as you would from the states. When you call long distance via an access number, the time comes off your regular minutes. Nothing is FREE!!
Why are you asking me????
I just supplied you with the website, look at it for yourself, and maybe your questions will be answered. It works well for me at 7.5 cents....maybe it won't for someone else.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
rellosk said:
I wouldn't get too excited until ggn420 replies to Ken's question regarding the toll-free access number in the DR.

ggn420, have you actually used this service in the DR or only in the US?
Yes I have, but as someone stated in an earlier thread you have to have an 809 area code put in your phone first down there for your phone to work.
Don't know how 800 numbers work down there, but in the states it is considered a local call, and comes off your regular min. plan. With tel3 you can give your pin, which is your cell # to those at home to call you from a land line to your cell for the same 7.5 or 8 cents. It worked fine for me, the audio quality was excellent, and no extra costs showed up on my cell bill when I got home.
Click the site...it has all the questions you're looking for, and a toll free number to call for questions....now Howmar, that 800 or 888 toll free number is not FREE, it is TOLL FREE, it will come off your regular minutes on whatever plan you have.....so it will cost you a few cents.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Putz strikes again!

GGN AKA "King of BAD information" , now tell us how to dial a 1-800 number from 809?

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ggn420 said:
The same as you would from the states. When you call long distance via an access number, the time comes off your regular minutes. Nothing is FREE!!
Why are you asking me????
I just supplied you with the website, look at it for yourself, and maybe your questions will be answered. It works well for me at 7.5 cents....maybe it won't for someone else.
In the states I would dial an 800 number to reach an 800 number. What I think you are saying is I need to dial a non-800 number. You have to splain this more clear so I understand you (I think the plantains are reducing my IQ). You accidently told me I had to dial an 800 number that isn't a 800 number, I think.
P.S. We don't care how it works in the States. If you don't know how it works down here. don't help.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Tamborista said:
GGN AKA "King of BAD information" , now tell us how to dial a 1-800 number from 809?
That's what I'm asking you, you can call 800 toll free numbers anywhere in the world. How your local phone company handles it you should know. You live there don't you? I got this information on another thread a couple weeks ago, the person that listed it was a regular on the forum and lived there. I use Sprint, I beleive most down there are Verizon or Orange. Take a look back in the archives for this same type of thread, or as I reccomended..call them yourself, they list a number, oh thats right, you can't call 800 worldwide numbers!! Guess your best bet is to click in the site and see what they tell you. All I know is it worked for me useing Sprint.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Wow it's 4:20 PM do you know where Mister S. F. Brains is?

Oh he was busy backpeddaling, and will never admit that you can not call an "800" number from 809.

WRONG AGAIN!!!

Go back to the airline thread that you urinated on with incorrect information.

OOPS.........it was closed!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
HOWMAR said:
In the states I would dial an 800 number to reach an 800 number. What I think you are saying is I need to dial a non-800 number. You have to splain this more clear so I understand you (I think the plantains are reducing my IQ). You accidently told me I had to dial an 800 number that isn't a 800 number, I think.
P.S. We don't care how it works in the States. If you don't know how it works down here. don't help.
How much simpler can it be????????
LOOK at the WEBSITE!!!!!!! Why are you asking me????? Ask Tel3
I posted what I KNOW about it..no more.
If it does not work for you, that's YOUR problem!
The access number you call is 800-999-5090 If you can't call that number from the DR..your out of luck. You can dial 800 number anywhere in the world.
And for anyone else that want's to start some s*** go start it with someone else. LOOK AT THE WEBSITE LOOK AT THE WEBSITE LOOK AT THE WEBSITE

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Tamborista said:
Wow it's 4:20 PM do you know where Mister S. F. Brains is?

Oh he was busy backpeddaling, and will never admit that you can not call an "800" number from 809.

WRONG AGAIN!!!

Go back to the airline thread that you urinated on with incorrect information.

OOPS.........it was closed!
Guess you better get a Sprint phone! Are you trying to tell me the DR is the only country in the world that won't let you call an 800 area code. Are you telling me that you can't call anything but an 809 area code in your own country? Must be Tel3 is good for everyone in the world but you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I take it upon myself to appologize to Cyd. The poor guy asked a simple question. He simply wanted to make a telephone call from the DR to the US at a reasonable rate. Everything was fine until you know who stuck his 2 centavos in. Then when you know who was questioned about his answer he said it works for him, from the US or on his US phone. Not a bit related to the simple question Cyd asked. Eveyone who asks a simple question and wants an accurate answer should put you know who on their ignore list.
P.S.
Lets see if he knows who I am talking about by giving another inaccurate answer to his inaccurate answer.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ggn420 said:
Guess you better get a Sprint phone! Are you trying to tell me the DR is the only country in the world that won't let you call an 800 area code. Are you telling me that you can't call anything but an 809 area code in your own country? Must be Tel3 is good for everyone in the world but you.
Saying you can't call an 800 number from the DR is not saying you can only call 809 numbers. That is like you saying that since you have a brain, you can't be stupid. In both cases premise one is not directly tied to premise two.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
HOWMAR said:
I take it upon myself to appologize to Cyd. The poor guy asked a simple question. He simply wanted to make a telephone call from the DR to the US at a reasonable rate. Everything was fine until you know who stuck his 2 centavos in. Then when you know who was questioned about his answer he said it works for him, from the US or on his US phone. Not a bit related to the simple question Cyd asked. Eveyone who asks a simple question and wants an accurate answer should put you know who on their ignore list.
P.S.
Lets see if he knows who I am talking about by giving another inaccurate answer to his inaccurate answer.
Howmar, the laugh is on you!! If your cell phones in the DR won't allow you to call an 800 worldwide toll free number, that's too bad for you. Dig a little deeper in your pocket and get an international plan, or are those not available too? The OP is NOT from the Dominican Republic. This service will work for him, he is from Canada and I assume he is bringing his own phone with him. The phones from Canada are the same format as the US sooooo I wouldn't worry too much about him, he will be just fine. Obviously you did not call them, or your last post wouldn't say what it did.
The information I supplied is as accurate as the information on the website,
CASE CLOSED!! Any more questions??? www.tel3advantage