schools

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
starting to give some serious thought to moving to the dr ,i was interested to know if anyone has any information on any english/american schools ,where they are located ,fees etc

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
esmebabe said:
starting to give some serious thought to moving to the dr ,i was interested to know if anyone has any information on any english/american schools ,where they are located ,fees etc

What sort of schools? For yourself or for a young child? What grade levels? In what part of the country?

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
From your previous posts you sound very young. Are you looking for schools or Universities for yourself?
well im totally flattered but im 38 years old and i have two children,aged 5 and 7,been thinking about leaving england for some time but now the olympics has arrived on my doorstep my house is increasing in value all the time,seems like a good time to move on .obviously i would be looking at primary level education, so any info would be gratefully recieved,we are english and assunme that the dr follows a more american cirriculum

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
Ken said:
What sort of schools? For yourself or for a young child? What grade levels? In what part of the country?
im thinking along the south of the island ,possibly near sd,my children are 5 and 7 so i would be totally influenced by the standard of the local schools as to where i would end up settling. we are english so my kids have been at school for 3 and 1 year respectively,dont know how that compares with the local grades ,any info would be gratefully recieved

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SD would give you the broadest choice of schools in the DR. Probably one of the best (and most expensive) English language schools would be The Carol Morgan School:

The are many other schools in SD. You probably should do a search on DR1 and then come back with more questions.

BTW, why are considering only English language schools?

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
rellosk said:
SD would give you the broadest choice of schools in the DR. Probably one of the best (and most expensive) English language schools would be The Carol Morgan School:

The are many other schools in SD. You probably should do a search on DR1 and then come back with more questions.

BTW, why are considering only English language schools?
at this time my kids dont speak spanish,so would need them to go to a school where english was spoken so they could still be educated while learning how to speak the language,so really i need a bi lingual school

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Schools

Since you currently live in England I'll presume your children are schooled in the British system? You might consider La Romana. La Romana has a private school, Abraham Lincoln School, which is based on the British system and all of the teachers except the spanish teachers come from Europe. The cost is 1/2 of what Carol Morgan charges. Since your children are so young, they would teach them spanish which of course is required and in the 6th grade they start taking French. When my son started there he was in 6th grade and knew absolutely no spanish, he now will be in the 12th grade and is more fluent than I! ;) Lincoln School is a bit more diverse than Carol Morgan. Employee's children from Central Romana Corporation can go to the school, if they speak english, therefore it's not just for the "societies rich kids". I don't mean that in a derogatory way by any means.

La Romana is on the southeastern coast of the island about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Santo Domingo, a much smaller city. Depending on exactly what you are looking for, if you need a job etc. Casa de Campo is a resort but also has houses for rent and is expensive. But outside of Casa de Campo there is an area called Buena Vista Norte which is very nice and a lot of the managerial pesonnel from CdC and Central Romana and of course us ordinary folks live there.

I think you need to decide what your goals are..if you'll be working, what type of housing you want to live in, if you want to live in a big city as compared to a smaller city, what type of education you want your childern to obtain as compared to what they are used to. At both schools, you have to take an entrance exam for admittance. At Carol Morgan, if you don't pass, you aren't admitted. You can retake the test 6 months later. At Lincoln if you don't pass the one for your grade level, they will put you in a lower grade level, but atleast they will admit you! Actually all private schools that I know of in Santo Domingo require an entrance exam for admittance. They will not admit your child just based on their prior performance at their current school. The reason I know this, I was thinking of moving from La Romana to Santo Domingo a couple of years ago and was considering a couple of schools, my son was required to take exams for all of the schools we were considering. Carol Morgan teaches an english system that is taught in the USA, my son was unaware of this system, therefore, he didn't pass this section of the test. They were kind enough to give us the system, we got him a tutor, learned the system and he retook the test (they waved the 6 months waiting period) and he passed it...then we didn't move. Poor kid! He did so good! But actually, he really didn't want to leave Lincoln, he loves Lincoln..it's smaller school, more intimate.

Ok anyway..that's my two cents worth! Good luck.

Lynn

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
LynnCox said:
Since you currently live in England I'll presume your children are schooled in the British system? You might consider La Romana. La Romana has a private school, Abraham Lincoln School, which is based on the British system and all of the teachers except the spanish teachers come from Europe. The cost is 1/2 of what Carol Morgan charges. Since your children are so young, they would teach them spanish which of course is required and in the 6th grade they start taking French. When my son started there he was in 6th grade and knew absolutely no spanish, he now will be in the 12th grade and is more fluent than I! ;) Lincoln School is a bit more diverse than Carol Morgan. Employee's children from Central Romana Corporation can go to the school, if they speak english, therefore it's not just for the "societies rich kids". I don't mean that in a derogatory way by any means.

La Romana is on the southeastern coast of the island about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Santo Domingo, a much smaller city. Depending on exactly what you are looking for, if you need a job etc. Casa de Campo is a resort but also has houses for rent and is expensive. But outside of Casa de Campo there is an area called Buena Vista Norte which is very nice and a lot of the managerial pesonnel from CdC and Central Romana and of course us ordinary folks live there.

I think you need to decide what your goals are..if you'll be working, what type of housing you want to live in, if you want to live in a big city as compared to a smaller city, what type of education you want your childern to obtain as compared to what they are used to. At both schools, you have to take an entrance exam for admittance. At Carol Morgan, if you don't pass, you aren't admitted. You can retake the test 6 months later. At Lincoln if you don't pass the one for your grade level, they will put you in a lower grade level, but atleast they will admit you! Actually all private schools that I know of in Santo Domingo require an entrance exam for admittance. They will not admit your child just based on their prior performance at their current school. The reason I know this, I was thinking of moving from La Romana to Santo Domingo a couple of years ago and was considering a couple of schools, my son was required to take exams for all of the schools we were considering. Carol Morgan teaches an english system that is taught in the USA, my son was unaware of this system, therefore, he didn't pass this section of the test. They were kind enough to give us the system, we got him a tutor, learned the system and he retook the test (they waved the 6 months waiting period) and he passed it...then we didn't move. Poor kid! He did so good! But actually, he really didn't want to leave Lincoln, he loves Lincoln..it's smaller school, more intimate.

Ok anyway..that's my two cents worth! Good luck.

Lynn
thanks ever so much for the feed back,does lincoln have a web site?i like the idea of a school that has a cross section of people and small and intimate would suit my kids especially my oldest who is a little sensitive .im going to research the la romana area ,as the most important thing for me ,aside from education is not to raise my kids in the artifical enviroment that mass tourism promotes ,as witnessed in the north.
can you give me a ball park figure of fees?
also can you tell me what age a child in 6th grade is?our system is totally different and im having difficulty working out what grades my kids would be in

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
From an earlier post, I just cut & pasted, for the info, on New Horizons.

Tim H.
:smoke:

By far, New Horizons offered the most for the dollar.
About the same for a good Catholic school back home in NY.

Well worth a visit, They have a large library,
the school is wired for I-net in the class.
And it is Bi-lingual.

Check them out.

New Horizons Bi-Lingual School

Ave. Sarasota 51, Bella Vista,
Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana.
Tel (809) 533-4915 ext. 501, 502, 503
Fax (809) 534-9171
Homepage:
www.gcnewhorizons.net
E-mail:
info@gcnewhorizons.net

Check out the class webcams, M-F, they turn them off after school and weekends.
New Horizons: http://gcnewhorizons.net/colegiox/

Other choices.

Carol Morgan: http://www.cms.edu.do/tmsPUBLISHER/
Lux Mundi. www.luxmundi.edunexo.com.do
ICDA: http://www.icda.edu.do/english/index.asp
Colegio Americano de Santo Domingo in Arroyo Hondo. Its phone number is 567-6824.

Home Schooling?????

Also, ask Dolores, dolores@dr1.com

Tim H.:cool:

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
Timex said:
From an earlier post, I just cut & pasted, for the info, on New Horizons.

Tim H.
:smoke:
thanks tim ,i must admit a bi lingual school sounds more and more appealing,as for home schooling i think i do my darlings enough damage without inflicting myself on them 24 /7 :ermm:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
mislarimar said:
Can anybody give me some info on the school in puerto plata called " alec new world school".It is close to the beach.
Anybody have kids attending this school?

I had my son in Alic for one year, some years ago, then I took him out of there.
It is a billingual school, morning hrs in English, and after lunch in Spanish.
They also teach French, but I asked for my son not to do that, as at that time it was enough for him to learn one new language ( Spanish ).

I did not feel comfortable with the way of teaching at Alic, as it was only books, books, books and no one actually explaining anything for the kids.
Apart for a few subjects that was fine.
My sons main teacher was a sailor. :cross-eye

Good parts with that school was that they offered alots of sport activities as well as arts, as extra classes.
They served lunch for 50 pesos a day extra.

Last day, the year my son went there, we were all a little surprised as it all of a sudded was not about the kids and summer etc etc but turned out to some kind of sect meeting with prayers etc. Many of people I know chosed to take their kids out of there then.

Notice this is a few years back, but I have not heard anything good since then either on the other hand.

Cost then was 2.200 pesos a month incl. summer months.
Plus books, uniforms and sport clothes ( i,.e Alic tshirts and pants ).

Many foreigners have their kids at San Jose School and Santa Rosa in Puerto Plata as well, allthough most newbies end up in Alic as they need the English.

Have you checked the school behind Plaza Turisol? I have heard good things about it. Collegio Costambar. English as well.

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Lincoln School

esmebabe said:
thanks ever so much for the feed back,does lincoln have a web site?i like the idea of a school that has a cross section of people and small and intimate would suit my kids especially my oldest who is a little sensitive .im going to research the la romana area ,as the most important thing for me ,aside from education is not to raise my kids in the artifical enviroment that mass tourism promotes ,as witnessed in the north.
can you give me a ball park figure of fees?
also can you tell me what age a child in 6th grade is?our system is totally different and im having difficulty working out what grades my kids would be in

I don't think they have a website at this time and school is closed, so I can't get the telephone number until next week when they open. It sounds to me like your children are or were in kindergarten (5 year old) and 1st or 2nd grade (7 year old). This year the fee for 1 child is RD$200,000 which translates to about US$6,900. They discount the second child. There is no entrance fee or family fee that you have to pay like Carol Morgan charges in addition to the yearly tuition. When I was going to put my son in CM (because of all the additional fees one has to pay), it was going to cost me US$12,500 for the first year! UGH! :eek: !!!

Lux Mundi only teaches in spanish from what I understand. I know one of the owners and had spoken to her about putting my son there and she had told me the classes were taught in spanish,but obviously they do have english as most of the kids I have known from there speak english. I've heard New Horizons is a good school in Santo Domingo.

I will put it on my calendar (as I'm going to the states tomorrow until next Wednesday) to call Lincoln and get their phone number so that I can post it here for you and see if there is a website, which I doubt, but will check.

BTW, Lincoln is a bilingual school, you must speak english to go there, all the kids speak spanish and do have spanish classes as well. It's just that all the classes are taught in english except of course the spanish classes and french class.

Lynn

M

Mr.Mark

And don't forget about Saint George School

Their website is www.stgeorge.edu.do

I think you'll find it interesting that they have the International Baccaulerate -whatever that means-. It has such a great reputation to the extent that, if I remember well, it was ranked the best school in Santo Domingo.

However, I would follow LynnCox advice in regard of the fact that your kids will have the chance to interact with kids from lower SEL's and in Saint George School they run the risk of not learning how to appreciate all kinds of people and to grow as snobs. It's the sad reality.

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
LynnCox said:
I don't think they have a website at this time and school is closed, so I can't get the telephone number until next week when they open. It sounds to me like your children are or were in kindergarten (5 year old) and 1st or 2nd grade (7 year old). This year the fee for 1 child is RD$200,000 which translates to about US$6,900. They discount the second child. There is no entrance fee or family fee that you have to pay like Carol Morgan charges in addition to the yearly tuition. When I was going to put my son in CM (because of all the additional fees one has to pay), it was going to cost me US$12,500 for the first year! UGH! :eek: !!!

Lux Mundi only teaches in spanish from what I understand. I know one of the owners and had spoken to her about putting my son there and she had told me the classes were taught in spanish,but obviously they do have english as most of the kids I have known from there speak english. I've heard New Horizons is a good school in Santo Domingo.

I will put it on my calendar (as I'm going to the states tomorrow until next Wednesday) to call Lincoln and get their phone number so that I can post it here for you and see if there is a website, which I doubt, but will check.

BTW, Lincoln is a bilingual school, you must speak english to go there, all the kids speak spanish and do have spanish classes as well. It's just that all the classes are taught in english except of course the spanish classes and french class.

Lynn
thanks so much for your help .icant believe how reasonable prices are in the dr.hope you have a blast in the states and i look forward to getting the number of lincoln school

esmebabe

Aug 11, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
Their website is www.stgeorge.edu.do

I think you'll find it interesting that they have the International Baccaulerate -whatever that means-. It has such a great reputation to the extent that, if I remember well, it was ranked the best school in Santo Domingo.

However, I would follow LynnCox advice in regard of the fact that your kids will have the chance to interact with kids from lower SEL's and in Saint George School they run the risk of not learning how to appreciate all kinds of people and to grow as snobs. It's the sad reality.
thanks mark ,i think this would be too expensive for me,a baccaulerate is an internationally recognizesd standard of education.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
new horizons in santiago

If you are considering santiago instead of santo domingo New Horizons has a bilingual school here. they are actually opening a new facility beginning next year. my kids (3rd and 4th grade) just started there a week ago and didn't speak much spanish at all and are doing much better than I expected. the fees are around $3000 a year. a majority of the staff speak english and the teachers are very good. check in with me in a few months and I'll let you know more! ;) ;)