Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: schools

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default schools

    starting to give some serious thought to moving to the dr ,i was interested to know if anyone has any information on any english/american schools ,where they are located ,fees etc

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From your previous posts you sound very young. Are you looking for schools or Universities for yourself?

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esmebabe
    starting to give some serious thought to moving to the dr ,i was interested to know if anyone has any information on any english/american schools ,where they are located ,fees etc
    What sort of schools? For yourself or for a young child? What grade levels? In what part of the country?

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly32837
    From your previous posts you sound very young. Are you looking for schools or Universities for yourself?
    well im totally flattered but im 38 years old and i have two children,aged 5 and 7,been thinking about leaving england for some time but now the olympics has arrived on my doorstep my house is increasing in value all the time,seems like a good time to move on .obviously i would be looking at primary level education, so any info would be gratefully recieved,we are english and assunme that the dr follows a more american cirriculum

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    What sort of schools? For yourself or for a young child? What grade levels? In what part of the country?
    im thinking along the south of the island ,possibly near sd,my children are 5 and 7 so i would be totally influenced by the standard of the local schools as to where i would end up settling. we are english so my kids have been at school for 3 and 1 year respectively,dont know how that compares with the local grades ,any info would be gratefully recieved

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    SD would give you the broadest choice of schools in the DR. Probably one of the best (and most expensive) English language schools would be The Carol Morgan School:

    The are many other schools in SD. You probably should do a search on DR1 and then come back with more questions.

    BTW, why are considering only English language schools?

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    SD would give you the broadest choice of schools in the DR. Probably one of the best (and most expensive) English language schools would be The Carol Morgan School:

    The are many other schools in SD. You probably should do a search on DR1 and then come back with more questions.

    BTW, why are considering only English language schools?
    at this time my kids dont speak spanish,so would need them to go to a school where english was spoken so they could still be educated while learning how to speak the language,so really i need a bi lingual school

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Schools

    Since you currently live in England I'll presume your children are schooled in the British system? You might consider La Romana. La Romana has a private school, Abraham Lincoln School, which is based on the British system and all of the teachers except the spanish teachers come from Europe. The cost is 1/2 of what Carol Morgan charges. Since your children are so young, they would teach them spanish which of course is required and in the 6th grade they start taking French. When my son started there he was in 6th grade and knew absolutely no spanish, he now will be in the 12th grade and is more fluent than I! Lincoln School is a bit more diverse than Carol Morgan. Employee's children from Central Romana Corporation can go to the school, if they speak english, therefore it's not just for the "societies rich kids". I don't mean that in a derogatory way by any means.

    La Romana is on the southeastern coast of the island about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Santo Domingo, a much smaller city. Depending on exactly what you are looking for, if you need a job etc. Casa de Campo is a resort but also has houses for rent and is expensive. But outside of Casa de Campo there is an area called Buena Vista Norte which is very nice and a lot of the managerial pesonnel from CdC and Central Romana and of course us ordinary folks live there.

    I think you need to decide what your goals are..if you'll be working, what type of housing you want to live in, if you want to live in a big city as compared to a smaller city, what type of education you want your childern to obtain as compared to what they are used to. At both schools, you have to take an entrance exam for admittance. At Carol Morgan, if you don't pass, you aren't admitted. You can retake the test 6 months later. At Lincoln if you don't pass the one for your grade level, they will put you in a lower grade level, but atleast they will admit you! Actually all private schools that I know of in Santo Domingo require an entrance exam for admittance. They will not admit your child just based on their prior performance at their current school. The reason I know this, I was thinking of moving from La Romana to Santo Domingo a couple of years ago and was considering a couple of schools, my son was required to take exams for all of the schools we were considering. Carol Morgan teaches an english system that is taught in the USA, my son was unaware of this system, therefore, he didn't pass this section of the test. They were kind enough to give us the system, we got him a tutor, learned the system and he retook the test (they waved the 6 months waiting period) and he passed it...then we didn't move. Poor kid! He did so good! But actually, he really didn't want to leave Lincoln, he loves Lincoln..it's smaller school, more intimate.

    Ok anyway..that's my two cents worth! Good luck.

    Lynn

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LynnCox
    Since you currently live in England I'll presume your children are schooled in the British system? You might consider La Romana. La Romana has a private school, Abraham Lincoln School, which is based on the British system and all of the teachers except the spanish teachers come from Europe. The cost is 1/2 of what Carol Morgan charges. Since your children are so young, they would teach them spanish which of course is required and in the 6th grade they start taking French. When my son started there he was in 6th grade and knew absolutely no spanish, he now will be in the 12th grade and is more fluent than I! Lincoln School is a bit more diverse than Carol Morgan. Employee's children from Central Romana Corporation can go to the school, if they speak english, therefore it's not just for the "societies rich kids". I don't mean that in a derogatory way by any means.

    La Romana is on the southeastern coast of the island about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Santo Domingo, a much smaller city. Depending on exactly what you are looking for, if you need a job etc. Casa de Campo is a resort but also has houses for rent and is expensive. But outside of Casa de Campo there is an area called Buena Vista Norte which is very nice and a lot of the managerial pesonnel from CdC and Central Romana and of course us ordinary folks live there.

    I think you need to decide what your goals are..if you'll be working, what type of housing you want to live in, if you want to live in a big city as compared to a smaller city, what type of education you want your childern to obtain as compared to what they are used to. At both schools, you have to take an entrance exam for admittance. At Carol Morgan, if you don't pass, you aren't admitted. You can retake the test 6 months later. At Lincoln if you don't pass the one for your grade level, they will put you in a lower grade level, but atleast they will admit you! Actually all private schools that I know of in Santo Domingo require an entrance exam for admittance. They will not admit your child just based on their prior performance at their current school. The reason I know this, I was thinking of moving from La Romana to Santo Domingo a couple of years ago and was considering a couple of schools, my son was required to take exams for all of the schools we were considering. Carol Morgan teaches an english system that is taught in the USA, my son was unaware of this system, therefore, he didn't pass this section of the test. They were kind enough to give us the system, we got him a tutor, learned the system and he retook the test (they waved the 6 months waiting period) and he passed it...then we didn't move. Poor kid! He did so good! But actually, he really didn't want to leave Lincoln, he loves Lincoln..it's smaller school, more intimate.

    Ok anyway..that's my two cents worth! Good luck.

    Lynn
    thanks ever so much for the feed back,does lincoln have a web site?i like the idea of a school that has a cross section of people and small and intimate would suit my kids especially my oldest who is a little sensitive .im going to research the la romana area ,as the most important thing for me ,aside from education is not to raise my kids in the artifical enviroment that mass tourism promotes ,as witnessed in the north.
    can you give me a ball park figure of fees?
    also can you tell me what age a child in 6th grade is?our system is totally different and im having difficulty working out what grades my kids would be in

  10. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From an earlier post, I just cut & pasted, for the info, on New Horizons.

    Tim H.


    By far, New Horizons offered the most for the dollar.
    About the same for a good Catholic school back home in NY.

    Well worth a visit, They have a large library,
    the school is wired for I-net in the class.
    And it is Bi-lingual.

    Check them out.

    New Horizons Bi-Lingual School

    Ave. Sarasota 51, Bella Vista,
    Santo Domingo, República Dominicana.
    Tel (809) 533-4915 ext. 501, 502, 503
    Fax (809) 534-9171
    Homepage:
    www.gcnewhorizons.net
    E-mail:
    [email protected]

    Check out the class webcams, M-F, they turn them off after school and weekends.
    New Horizons: http://gcnewhorizons.net/colegiox/

    Other choices.

    Carol Morgan: http://www.cms.edu.do/tmsPUBLISHER/
    Lux Mundi. www.luxmundi.edunexo.com.do
    ICDA: http://www.icda.edu.do/english/index.asp
    Colegio Americano de Santo Domingo in Arroyo Hondo. Its phone number is 567-6824.

    Home Schooling?????


    Also, ask Dolores, [email protected]

    Tim H.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •