Child Traveling with One Parent?

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hopefully someone can help or at least point me in the right direction. I don?t have a lot of time to Google it right now.

My daughter Amelia is still in the US spending time with my parents but mainly her paternal grandfather who is dying. I thought it was important that she spend as much time as possible with that side of her family before she joins me here.

Her grandfather will probably go at any time now and I?m trying to make arrangements with my ex husband to get everything in order so he can bring her down. I was going to get her myself but Jeremy needs a bit of a vacation.

I have heard someone mention that there are a lot of stipulations that must be followed when a child is traveling with only one parent. I?m wondering what Jeremy and I need to coordinate for the trip down here, does anyone know the best course of action? All the passports are done, certified birth certificate obtained, etc, this is just the last hurdle. Is there a good web site to look over?

I already had to miss 14 months of her life so I?m ready for Amelia to get here right this second. Separation really sucks and I have waayyyy too much time on my hands being here alone. It?s really not very much fun living the life of a single girl, I'm too old for it and don't have the energy.

Thanks,

Sunnie

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Here is the requirement according to Continental's website:

Minors (applicable only when LEAVING Dominican Rep.):
irrespective of nationality (until 18 years of age),
traveling unaccompanied, or with an adult other than a parent
or legal guardian, or with only one parent, must hold a permit
issued in the Dominican Rep. or a consular permit issued by
representation of the Dominican Rep. abroad.
For information on how to apply for a permit and documentation
required, contact Dominican Rep. representation abroad or the
Director General's Office of Immigration, Santo Domingo.
According to the above, documentation is only required when leaving the DR. You may want to check with the airline your daughter will be traveling on to see if they interpret the rules any differently.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
if i am reading the above right, and it says that a single parent must have DR documentation to leave, that must not have applied last feburary bc i denfinitly traveled to the DR with my daughter solo, and back to US with only my daughter and only had to show her birth certificate. we flew jet blue however and these are continentals rules?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
audboogie said:
if i am reading the above right, and it says that a single parent must have DR documentation to leave, that must not have applied last feburary bc i denfinitly traveled to the DR with my daughter solo, and back to US with only my daughter and only had to show her birth certificate. we flew jet blue however and these are continentals rules?
I believe these are rules the Dominican Republic set up. The airlines are supposed to ask for the documentation before leaving the US. This has only happened once in about 15 trips with my Daughter, and they accepted a notarized letter from her mother (not issued by the Dominican consulate). Similarly I was asked only once when leaving the DR and was able to talk my way through.

My Daughter is flying from the DR by herself next week, without the required permit. I will let you know how it goes. :nervous:

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
rellosk said:
I believe these are rules the Dominican Republic set up. The airlines are supposed to ask for the documentation before leaving the US. This has only happened once in about 15 trips with my Daughter, and they accepted a notarized letter from her mother (not issued by the Dominican consulate). Similarly I was asked only once when leaving the DR and was able to talk my way through.

My Daughter is flying from the DR by herself next week, without the required permit. I will let you know how it goes. :nervous:

Thanks for the info Rellosk. I suppose all of the rules are because of parental kidnapping?

Best of luck to your daughter as well. I don't blame you a bit for being nervous, the worrying is a full time job in itself. How old is she?

See ya,

S

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
Thanks for the info Rellosk. I suppose all of the rules are because of parental kidnapping?

Best of luck to your daughter as well. I don't blame you a bit for being nervous, the worrying is a full time job in itself. How old is she?

See ya,

S
She's almost 14. The sad thing is, if they say she can't leave, she'll probably shrug her shoulders and say, "Thanks". She likes it better in the DR than the US. (Although at this point she may actually be missing her Mom and Dad :surprised ).

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I understand the letter is only needed when leaving the DR. You will need a notirized letter by the Dominican consulate only if the child is traveling with someone that is not a parent.

I have another question tho:
As part of my divorce settlement, I added a statement that says that I can travel with my kids to the DR without prior consent from the father for up to 30 days. Has anyone traveled with the divorce papers on tow and has this worked in DR? I will ask him for a letter just in case, but I'm trying to avoid having to go through this process for every trip. I wonder if the divorce settlement paperwork will work...

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Talldrink said:
I understand the letter is only needed when leaving the DR. You will need a notirized letter by the Dominican consulate only if the child is traveling with someone that is not a parent.

As part of my divorce settlement, I added a statement that says that I can travel with my kids to the DR without prior consent from the father for up to 30 days. Has anyone traveled with the divorce papers on tow and has this worked in DR? I will ask him for a letter just in case, but I'm trying to avoid having to go through this process for every trip. I wonder if the divorce settlement paperwork will work...

I really don't know. I think I need to go to the US consular tomorrow and ask a few questions, I will ask yours as well.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
rellosk said:
She's almost 14. The sad thing is, if they say she can't leave, she'll probably shrug her shoulders and say, "Thanks". She likes it better in the DR than the US. (Although at this point she may actually be missing her Mom and Dad :surprised ).

Let us know when she's safe and sound.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Believe it or not. Several years ago I had to sign a notarized letter allowing my stepson to travel with his mother. As the father has been dead for a number of years he was not part of the equation. At that time Jose was 8, since then He has traveled to the DR at least 12 times without anyone asking for this letter. Our letter said, travelling anywhere at anytime with his mother. According to the Canadian customs people this letter was good until Jose was 16.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I just sent my daughters to the DR with their grandmother on Saturday. American Airlines asked if we had a notorized letter from the Dominican Consulate. We lied and told them that we did. They never asked to see it. I am going with my wife to pick them up in two weeks. We were told there would be no problem leaving the US but there could be a problem leaving the DR without the notorized letter endorsed by the Dominican Consulate. The charge for the letter is $75.00 US. I believe Laflor went through this a few months ago.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
yes, there was another thread just like this one before. In essence everybody had a different experience with the Dominican INS, some needed the letter others didnt. The one thing we had in common is that the documentation is needed when leaving the DR, not when leaving the US. The one fact I KNOW is that if the child is traveling without at least one of the parents, the letter has to notirized by the Dominican consulate.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bob saunders said:
Believe it or not. Several years ago I had to sign a notarized letter allowing my stepson to travel with his mother. As the father has been dead for a number of years he was not part of the equation. At that time Jose was 8, since then He has traveled to the DR at least 12 times without anyone asking for this letter. Our letter said, travelling anywhere at anytime with his mother. According to the Canadian customs people this letter was good until Jose was 16.
Not to be crude, but, your step-son's father's death certificate would have been as effective. Probably more. If you identified yourself in the letter as the step-father it really has no authority as a natural father may be alive and objecting to travel. I was in this situation until I adopted my step-children.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Thanks for all the info guys (and girls). I just didn't want Amelia to get stuck in some sort of airline purgatory. My ex can stay there all he wants but not my baby.

See ya,

S

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
HOWMAR said:
Not to be crude, but, your step-son's father's death certificate would have been as effective. Probably more. If you identified yourself in the letter as the step-father it really has no authority as a natural father may be alive and objecting to travel. I was in this situation until I adopted my step-children.

I guess since the letter has never had to be used, it's a moot point, but you are right, a death certificate would be more effective. Now she'll have to get one at great expense from Colombia.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Talldrink said:

I personally would take the chance with the divorce papers granting you complete custody for the 30 days is sufficient. Bring the original.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
Let us know when she's safe and sound.
My daughter came home last night. They asked her about the papers, but let her through anyway.

They tried to get her to pay RD300 for staying longer than 15 days, but she called me and I told her to tell them that it doesn't apply to people born in the DR.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
rellosk said:
My daughter came home last night. They asked her about the papers, but let her through anyway.

The tried to get her to pay RD300 for staying longer than 15 days, but she called me and I told her to tell them that it doesn't apply to people born in the DR.

I paid $40 DOLLARS last year for that nonsense. I didnt know you can fight this, but I will fight it this year!!

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
rellosk said:

The tried to get her to pay RD300 for staying longer than 15 days, but she called me and I told her to tell them that it doesn't apply to people born in the DR.

I'm glad to hear all is well. I bet you are relieved your baby is home.

Take care,

Sunnie

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This measure is a nightmare for Dominican parents because it is costly and time consuming. It is law, but all protests are welcome to see if it can be removed or changed so as not to be such an inconvenience.