Playa Dorada in Spet

jimmynj116

Aug 16, 2005
Be staying at the Viva Wyndham from Sept 8th thru 17th. Any advice, thoughts or whatever would be welcome. In return for good ideas I'll have to buy u a drink or two if you are there as well!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
jimmynj116 said:
Be staying at the Viva Wyndham from Sept 8th thru 17th. Any advice, thoughts or whatever would be welcome. In return for good ideas I'll have to buy u a drink or two if you are there as well!
Jim, you're a real sport for offering that drink or two if we're staying at the AI also. Seriously, lots of posters here in POP familiar with Playa Dorado. If you better define your interests, I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.
  • have you been to the DR before?
  • Are you interested in tours?
  • Do you want to experience the country or just hang on the beach?
  • Are you traveling with family or single?
  • etc., etc.
Just ask and you will be answered.

jimmynj116

Aug 16, 2005
I try to be a sport...

I will be traveling with my girlfriend and this will be our 1st trip to the DR. As we'll be there for almost 10 days I will be looking to do a lil of everything. But in general I want to experience a lil of the local culture (stores & watering holes), some of the more active tours (we are not one's to sit on a bus all day and Oh & Ah at the local sites) and some time just laying on the beach and getting some well earned rest. In addition, as my girl will be spending some time at the spa and at the pool on her own I would like to hear about anything close by I could explore on my own. I am one who likes to find local hangouts and blend in as much as I can.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
jimmynj116 said:
I try to be a sport...

I will be traveling with my girlfriend and this will be our 1st trip to the DR. As we'll be there for almost 10 days I will be looking to do a lil of everything. But in general I want to experience a lil of the local culture (stores & watering holes), some of the more active tours (we are not one's to sit on a bus all day and Oh & Ah at the local sites) and some time just laying on the beach and getting some well earned rest. In addition, as my girl will be spending some time at the spa and at the pool on her own I would like to hear about anything close by I could explore on my own. I am one who likes to find local hangouts and blend in as much as I can.
Viva Wyndham Playa Dorado has you all set for beach time. As far as tours are concerned, walk down to the Playa Dorado Plaza (shopping Center about 300 yards from hotel) to purchase tours. There are 4-6 tour operators located there. Price the tours at more than one operator and get competitive prices. Probably the ATV tour or the Catamaran tour would interest you. As far as local flavor, there is not much I really recommend in POP. Your best bet is go to Sosua or Caberete. They are 30-45 minutes east of Playa Dorado. The best way to go if you have some adventure in you is to catch a public taxi (publico) or van (guagua) across from the main entrance to Playa Dorado. The cost is only 20-25 pesos (current exchange rate is about 29 peso/dollar). You may be a little crowded but much cheaper than the $25 US the hotel taxi charges. Just tell the driver you want to go to Sosua or Cabarete and you'll have no problem in spite of what other posters (who never travel this way) say. Is use the guagua and publicos exclusively and never have a problem.
When you are in Sosua, stop in at Rocky's bar and talk to the owner Marco. He can fill you in on what to do in Sosua.
I'm sure other posters will have more to add.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
To find Rocky's have the driver drop you at the Texico station on the highway. At the corner take a left, (you can only go one way.) you'll find Rocky's about 1 1/2 blocks up on the right hand side of the road.