I need to know

ichinobond

Aug 16, 2005
If a person who is a Dominican commits a felony crime in the u.s. , and then runs to the D.R. , can the American gov. have that person extradited to the u.s. ? I heard that anyone can do crime and then run to the D.R. and that person can't be touched by the u.s. ? That just does'nt seem right if so .
can the lawyer answer me that ? I'd like to know .

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ichinobond said:
If a person who is a Dominican commits a felony crime in the u.s. , and then runs to the D.R. , can the American gov. have that person extradited to the u.s. ? I heard that anyone can do crime and then run to the D.R. and that person can't be touched by the u.s. ? That just does'nt seem right if so .
You don't need a lawyer for this answer. Just look at the current drug case against a Dominican Army captainl. He certainly is Dominican. U.S.D.E.A. came to the DR, had him arrested and he was extradited to stand trial in NY.
Many past government officials are sweating it out because of their associations with him.

Last edited:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
ichinobond said:

It depends on the severity of the crime. Extradition isn't cheap.

The US has an extradition treaty with the DR but ... it was written and signed into law in 1909. Try doing a search for the InterAmerican Convention 410.

ichinobond

Aug 16, 2005
thanx

Conchman said:
In many cases, they won't even do this for murder unless its high profile and/or a sure winner in court.
I thank you for your response . It was very much appreciated . Have a great day .

ichinobond

Aug 16, 2005
thanx

HOWMAR said:
You don't need a lawyer for this answer. Just look at the current drug case against a Dominican Army captainl. He certainly is Dominican. U.S.D.E.A. came to the DR, had him arrested and he was extradited to stand trial in NY.
Many past government officials are sweating it out because of their associations with him.
I thank you for your response . It was greatly appreciated . Have a great day .

ichinobond

Aug 16, 2005