A couple of Sosua questions before I leave...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
1) Which beach stall to frequent? It would be cool to go to one that serves food(dominican style, nothing exotic) and would like to leave stuff there while I go swimming. Would that be safe? I would only leave of course my shirt and towel, nothing else.

2) Where is Rockys located?

3) Any typical dominican car washes to dance at that are'nt overrun with hookers?

4) Any place to get a typical meal that is off the beaten path(i.e. Calle Pedro Clisante)? I don't need anything fancy, just a place that serves decent criolla food.
Thanks in advance!!!! :glasses:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Without giving street names that probably don't mean anything to you, to get to Rocky's walk down the main street of Sosua with your back to the beach. Be on the same side of the street as the farmacia (drug store) and small Playero supermarket. Keeping going until you come to Harrison's jewelry. It is on the corner. When you get to the store, turn left. Rocky's bar is a couple of doors down the street. Wide open entrance and you will probably see several disapated expats inside.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
1) NY Sharks Bar stall #66

2) If you're on the highway (one block off the main drag) turn at the Texico station (you can only turn one way,) or simply hop on a motoconcho and tell him you want to go go to Rocky's. 20 pesos from anyplace in Sosua.

3) NO

4) Ask people when you get there Rocky's is a good place to get that type of info.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Rocky's bar is a couple of doors down the street. Wide open entrance and you will probably see several disapated expats inside.
I think I resent that. I've never been called disapated before. Could you please explain what that means so that I can try to become less disapated. Or, maybe I want to become more disapated. I am so confused...I must be eating too many plantanos.
Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For a very good typical Dominican meal, and for a very good non-Dominican meal also you can go to Restaurant Centrale in Charamicos.

Just go to Charamicos and ask anyone where it is, it will be hard to find someone that does not know this place. Rafael, the owner and cook speaks perfect English. Just tell him what you want and you will get it.

You might even get lucky and get Frank Sinatra?s table. That is the one by the entrance. Just don?t lean over the rail or you will get hit by a Moto-Concho.

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
on your question #3:
No, there aren't any in Sosua although you might like Plaza Canoa on weekends when it's crowded with dominicans.
Take a carro publico to Montellano (20 minutes in direction of POP): there are some nice new Rancho Tipico's - one alongside the highway and another one just off the entrance at 'la bomba de Montellano', and there is also disco Las Brisas. Very few tourists and hookers there. Don't worry about transport, there is always some transporte nocturno for the way back.
Bartolomeo

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Don't worry about transport, there is always some transporte nocturno for the way back.
Bartolomeo[/QUOTE]

What about transport, say, around midnight? I remember being able to hop in a carro publico at almost any time when I was in Cabarete, but what about in Sosua and/or Puerto Plata?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Berzin said:
Don't worry about transport, there is always some transporte nocturno for the way back.
Bartolomeo

What about transport, say, around midnight? I remember being able to hop in a carro publico at almost any time when I was in Cabarete, but what about in Sosua and/or Puerto Plata?[/QUOTE]

The Sosua-Puerto Plata-Sosua publico goes quite late.
It is also a good idea to make an agreement with any driver if you know you will need a late transportation. Of couurse more expensive, but still an idea. ;)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Places to go

Places to visit on the beach

The New York Shark Bar stall #66
Monfongo King #68
Scandanavian Bar

Places that aren't frequented by hookers.

La Canoa, typical Dominican style. Not too many putas, they are semi-off duty and dancing with their chulos.
A few tipicos in Sabeneta that are mostly Dominican. A carwash also in Sabeneta that is not full of hookers. The Isla "Bomba" just after the intersection of roads that go to Moca.
A couple carwashes in Monte Llano.
Many in Puerto Plata, lot's of fun!

Rocky's is down the street from Harrison's Jewelry Store (Calle Dr. Rosen) on the right hand side. Nice place, good food and value and good people working in there. Most of the people that visit there are decent. People there are very helpful and will guide you to where you wish to go!

Lot's of places to eat good food off the beaten path. Los Charamicos is a great lil town for good local food. While on the beach go to a small woalking path behind the New York Shark Bar and there is a small Colmado called Carmines. It is a great places owned by Dominican friends of mine. Great Domincan food at Dominican prices. Be ready to share a table with someone as this place really packs them in.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
[/QUOTE]

It is also a good idea to make an agreement with any driver if you know you will need a late transportation. Of couurse more expensive, but still an idea. [/QUOTE]

Publicos available through the night because there are hotel employees whose shifts start and stop throughout the night. But there are fewer publicos running at night than during the day, so you may have to wait longer for one with room for you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004

It is also a good idea to make an agreement with any driver if you know you will need a late transportation. Of couurse more expensive, but still an idea.

Publicos available through the night because there are hotel employees whose shifts start and stop throughout the night. But there are fewer publicos running at night than during the day, so you may have to wait longer for one with room for you.
The route from Sosua to Puerto Plata starts at the Texaco station. They leave every 15 minutes unless they fill up a car sooner.(There are usually 3-4 cars waiting between trips.) So if you want a seat for sure, go to the Texaco station. They just raised the night rate for Sosua-POP to 30 pesos last week (still a bargain).

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Nope but....

prplemich said:
By the way, does anybody know if the rooms at Rocky's have air conditioning?

Thanks!

As someone just mentioned what can you expect for $18 US a night. The rooms are simple but clean with hot water and full-time electric, two things you can never take for granted in the DR! Marco has two great dogs which I only remember one named Baily. Good food, nice people, internet, can't beat it! Book early, he is always busy.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com

It is also a good idea to make an agreement with any driver if you know you will need a late transportation. Of couurse more expensive, but still an idea. [/QUOTE]

Publicos available through the night because there are hotel employees whose shifts start and stop throughout the night. But there are fewer publicos running at night than during the day, so you may have to wait longer for one with room for you.[/QUOTE]Hi Ken, to quote just hit reply from "INSIDE" the message. The US was either bad for you or ggn440 has hacked your computer! LOL

Edited to add:

Quoting is screwed up Robert, fix the damn thing! Hell maybe the brain donor hacked my computer and is posting as me? LOL

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
DominicanScotty said:
As someone just mentioned what can you expect for $18 US a night. The rooms are simple but clean with hot water and full-time electric, two things you can never take for granted in the DR! Marco has two great dogs which I only remember one named Baily. Good food, nice people, internet, can't beat it! Book early, he is always busy.

The other one's name is Bruno he is Ridgeback, and yes they both love people!

prplemich

Dec 20, 2004
Hey guys, thanks for the info. My sister, her best friend, & I are planning a trip in October & are looking for a place in Sosua for 3 nights that's non-AI & less expensive, but has air conditioning. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Good luck

prplemich said:
Hey guys, thanks for the info. My sister, her best friend, & I are planning a trip in October & are looking for a place in Sosua for 3 nights that's non-AI & less expensive, but has air conditioning. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

Many places have AC but not everyplace has fulltime electric. So, enjoy the AC while the power is on. $35-45 for a studio, $45-55 a for a 1 BR and more for 2 BR. Rockys has regular electric, battery powered plant, and a generator in case all else fails. The fans don't stop spinning!

Status
Not open for further replies.