How Dominican animals talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I know, I haven't been around in a while and this is a strange request..BUT..I want to know animal sounds in DR. Like I know a chicken says kee kee de kee. You call a cat by saying misu(sounds like miss you)

What does a dog, cow, pig, mouse say?

How about Old MacDonalds Farm Dominican style. If there was a song like that in Spanish that would help.

So common, make your best Dominican animal sounds(and not ppssstt..real animals not tigres please)

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Jan said:
I know, I haven't been around in a while and this is a strange request..BUT..I want to know animal sounds in DR. Like I know a chicken says kee kee de kee. You call a cat by saying misu(sounds like miss you)

How about Old MacDonalds Farm Dominican style. If there was a song like that in Spanish that would help.

So common, make your best Dominican animal sounds(and not ppssstt..real animals not tigres please)
Talvez la gente de este site no tiene mas nada de hablar o es que el mundo esta llegando a su gran final.

he he he he :nervous: :laugh: :rolleyes:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jan said:

Old MacDonald is available in Spanish too. " El Viejo Mac Donald".
You can find the lyrics in both book stores and online.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
more clear

Once I was in a Colmado talking (as usual) and I was calling someone a chicken and made a chicken sound. He told me that Dominican chickens don't say bac-bac they say kee kee de kee. Of course everyone had a good laugh at my expence which is the norm.

I just want to get my animal sounds correct because I know they'er different in DR than in EE.UU

May 31, 2005
Jan said:
Once I was in a Colmado talking (as usual) and I was calling someone a chicken and made a chicken sound. He told me that Dominican chickens don't say bac-bac they say kee kee de kee. Of course everyone had a good laugh at my expence which is the norm.

I just want to get my animal sounds correct because I know they'er different in DR than in EE.UU
ki ki ri ki is for the rooster.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jan said:

Using the foreign expression calling someone a chicken isn?t really Dominican
;) nope..

Dog is guau guau

Bee is bzzzz

Cat is miau

Cow is muuu

Duck is cu? cu?

Hen is coc co co coc

Horse is iiiiou

Pig is oink-oink

Sheep is bee

Here you go with some animals and their sounds ;) :

Las abejas hacen bzzz.
Los p?jaros trinan; hacen p?o p?o.
El gato ma?lla; hace miau.
Los pollitos p?an; hacen p?o p?o.
Las vacas mugen; hacen muuu.
El cuco hace c?cu c?cu.
El perro ladra; hace guau guau.
La paloma hace cu-curru-cu-c?.
El pato hace cu? cu?.
La rana croa; hace cru?-cru?.
La cabra bala; hace bee bee.
La gallina cacarea; hace coc co co coc.
El le?n ruge: grgrgrgr.
El caballo relincha; hace h?iiiiiiiii.
El mono hace i-i-i.
El b?ho hace uu uu.
El cerdo hace oink-oink.
El gallo canta; hace kikirik?.
Las ovejas balan; hacen bee.
El tigre ruge: grgrgrgr.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jan said:
Thanks. Just what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help.

What would you say when you want to call someone a chicken?

Here you go with Old MacDonald as well in Spanish, I remember it was one of the first songs my son was forced ( in his opinion ) to learn at school here..LOL

EL VIEJO MACDONALD

El viejo MacDonald ten?a una granja, ?ii a ii a, oh!
Y en la granja ten?a unos pollos, ?ii a ii a, oh!
Con su cloo-cloo por aqu? y su cloo-cloo por all?
aqu? su cloo, all? cloo, en todas partes cloo-cloo.

Y en la granja ten?a unas vacas, ?ii a ii a, oh!
Con su muu-muu por aqu? y su muu-muu por all?
aqu? su muu, all? muu, en todas partes muu-muu.

Y en la granja ten?a unos chanchos, ?ii a ii a, oh!
Con su oink-oink por aqu? y su oink-oink por all?
aqu? su oink, all? oink, en todas partes oink-oink.

Y en la granja ten?a unos patos, ?ii a ii a, oh!
Con su cuack -cuack por aqu? y su cuack-cuack por all?
aqu? su cuack, all? cuack, en todas partes cuack-cuack.

Y en la granja ten?a unos perros, ?ii a ii a, oh!
Con su guau-guau por aqu? y su guau-guau por all?
aqu? su guau, all? guau, en todas partes guau-guau.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hey guys, the only thing I'd think about changing is "what is the meaning of chicken?"
If it is being afraid, I'd look for another term. Because if it's a guy, well a gallina is a female chicken (hen) and nothing more. If you called him a rooster (gallo) well, then that would still be rooster.
If it has the American meaning of being afraid, find another phrase to get that meaning across.
Like "tienes miedo."
I enjoyed the list of sounds animals make.
mkohn

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I don't think calling someone a chicken translates very well. Remember it's the thought that has to be translated, not the words. If someone called me a "gallina" I would not take that to mean I was a chicken (scaredy-cat). Actually, I don't know how I'd take that :cross-eye

carina said:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The way a Dominican would call someone a chicken with the same meaning, as in "you?re a chicken" would be:

Tu eres una gallina
Tu eres una mierda.

Mierda is more "crap", but it used in the same meaning.
Both men & women can be called gallina in this sense, and it is an expression used quite often.

Tienes miedo, heard that one as well, but not in the meaning of "you?re a chicken"..

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
carina said:
The way a Dominican would call someone a chicken with the same meaning, as in "you?re a chicken" would be:

Tu eres una gallina
Tu eres una mierda.

Mierda is more "crap", but it used in the same meaning.
Both men & women can be called gallina in this sense, and it is an expression used quite often.

Tienes miedo, heard that one as well, but not in the meaning of "you?re a chicken"..

In the lower class world, pendejo(a) is used more often than gallina or other less harsher workds.

Pendejo(a) in DR means (chicken...scary cat) as well as dumb, gullible and easily fooled.

Example:
1. Salta! y no seas pendejo (jump! and don't be a chicken)
2. Te dejaste pendejear por esa muchacha (You let yourself get fooled by that girl).

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Stodgord said:
In the lower class world, pendejo(a) is used more often than gallina or other less harsher workds.

Pendejo(a) in DR means (chicken...scary cat) as well as dumb, gullible and easily fooled.

Example:
2. Te dejaste pendejear por esa muchacha (You let yourself get fooled by that girl).

Right. Also young teenagers use this every now and then when they try to be "cool"...

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
not only in the lower classes

I remember being called "pendeja" once or twice. Gallina? I don't know about that one.

Stodgord said:

Example:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Forbeca said:
I remember being called "pendeja" once or twice. Gallina? I don't know about that one.

Depends on what people you are around, a well educated or from higher social class would not use "pendeja", at least not in public. ;)
They would use "gallina"

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Are you kidding me??????

I am from an upper middle class family. Of course you get called Pendeja by your own kind, noone else w/ dare call me that to my face.

carina said:
Depends on what people you are around, a well educated or from higher social class would not use "pendeja", at least not in public. ;)
They would use "gallina"

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Forbeca said:
I am from an upper middle class family. Of course you get called Pendeja by your own kind, noone else w/ dare call me that to my face.

That?s not what I wrote... By your own yes. But would you use that word saying it to someone or about someone in public?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
no of course not,

I would not, but I have heard it more than once. At the country club, at the theatre, and it's usually the men when they lose their patience with someone. I have never heard an upper class man calling someone Gallina, that's the truth. it was either Miedoso/sa, or pendeja.

carina said:
That?s not what I wrote... By your own yes. But would you use that word saying it to someone or about someone in public?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Forbeca said:
I would not, but I have heard it more than once. At the country club, at the theatre, and it's usually the men when they lose their patience with someone. I have never heard an upper class man calling someone Gallina, that's the truth. it was either Miedoso/sa, or pendeja.

I heard Gallina several times..
Also of course pendeja..
I have always been of the impression that pendeja was a "stronger" word than gallina...

Status
Not open for further replies.