Scandall and Robert Head North!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
rob_randy.jpg

This past Saturday the 13th Robert and I both woke up, hustled through our morning rituals, linked up at my apartment in Santo Domingo and headed off towards "Paradise North". Excitement filled the air as we began our journey out of the concrete jungle known as the Capital, excited about a three day stay in the exclusive Sea Horse Ranch (compliments of one of Robert's friends). Ahhh. Life was good. Well, almost.

We managed to get from Santo Domingo to Cabarete in "record" time. Unfortunately, our new "record" has to be one of the longest trips in DR history. It took us just over seven hours.

Robert picked me up at about 8AM. We were almost out of the city when we ran into a good sized traffic jam. Dominicans were driving every which way to try and get around the "obstacle" that lay ahead. The "obstacle" turned out to be a large pedestrian overpass than was lying across both lanes of Autopista Duarte. Evidently, a crane driver was much more familiar with his gas pedal than the height of his rig. You know the rest of the story.

truck_crash.jpg

Instead of waiting for what could be hours for the road to be cleared, Robert reached for his map and decided that we would try another route out of the city. Why not? At least we would be moving. There is nothing worse than sitting in traffic.

The alternate route goes up through Villa Mella heading north, intersecting with Autopista Duarte further north of the "obstacle". How long could it take? The color and thickness of the route on Robert's map was the same as the Autopista. Who are we to doubt Dominican Cartography? How bad could it be? We decided to get a jump on all of the traffic that would surely be following us.

map.jpg

Four hours later we emerged from the mountains north of the "obstacle". Later research revealed to us that the four hour "short cut" we took brought us only twenty minutes up the road. Anyway, the road quickly became nothing more than a goat trail. At one point we did not see another car for two and a half hours. Clearly there were no others as na?ve as us.

erosion.jpg

road.jpg

water_run.jpg

The pictures do not do the road justice. I was too lazy to get out of the jeep (I only did once for another reason but failed to notice the 300 pound pig sleeping next to me until after I woke her up).

big_pig.jpg

My pictures do not give you a good appreciation of the size and number of potholes. But there are a few pictures of erosion and bridges that are completely out.

bridgeout_1.jpg

bridgeout_2.jpg

I wish we had video of the short cut. The few people who live up there just smiled and laughed at us as we went by (slowly I might add.not their laughing..our driving). At one point we must have driven through the center of "town" because we came across a phone booth (satellite microwave.see picture) with a horse tied to it.

phone_booth.jpg

mountain_shack.jpg

We got back on the highway and continued driving north. The picture of the guys standing on the back of the chicken truck was taken at about 70 MPH. Only in the DR.

chicken_truck.jpg

We arrived at the Sea Horse Ranch in the late afternoon. We immediately jumped in the pool. Here's some pics. The place is a real dump J.

dr1_crib_1.jpg

dr1_crib_2.jpg

dr1_crib_3.jpg

dr1_crib_4.jpg

dr1_crib_5.jpg

dr1_crib_6.jpg

After relaxing we phoned Escott and Dawnwil to set up dinner plans. We ate in Sosua at Bailey's. Great place, cool atmosphere, good food and very reasonably priced. After that we had a few drinks and went home to prepare for the beach.

dinner_baileys.jpg

I spent all day Sunday and Monday on Sosua beach. There were lots of people but nothing too exciting. Although, I must say that Sosua has to be the Sankie capital of the universe (we don't see much of that in Santo Domingo). Escott spent most of the afternoon with me on Sunday. Robert joined me on Monday.

scott_beach.jpg

Both days Robert and I ended our afternoons at Rocky's. We had the ribs both times. See the picture for a good look at the ribs and Robert. Besides the ribs, Marco has a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Bruno who is a gem. See the picture of me with him. He's the one on the left. I had been lying in the sun all day.

rockys_ribs.jpg

bruno_randy.jpg

We enjoyed leisurely Saturday and Sunday nights at the Sea Horse Ranch. The house we stayed at has a screening room that has to be seen. The screen is about seven feet wide with a great picture. Dawnwil joined us on Monday night for a movie. I fell asleep and missed 90% of it.

All in all it was a great weekend. Robert leaves his laptop on and I amazingly resisted the urge to spread chaos on the DR1 website because he is always logged in and has the "God Powers" on his control panel. I figured that the payback would not be worth it.

I highly recommend the Sea Horse Ranch, Rocky's Ribs, and Sosua Beach (for day trips). Just don't take the same route we did to get there.

Scandall

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It was fun and the road a real bitch, 3-4hrs of goat track is an understatement.
We only got stuck once, not bad considering some of the ruts and drop off's!

It's not often you drive here for 2-3hrs without seeing another vehicle, other than the odd motorcycle or donkey :)

Had a dog wander in front of the jeep at one point and stair us down. I had to stop and slowly nudge him out the way, I think it was the first time he had seen a vehicle.

The newly renamed "DR1 Crib" was beautiful. You will be seeing more of this on DR1 over the coming months.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Next time kidnap (or is that pignap) the pig. Marco will give you a discount on the ribs.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
You yahoos!

What in the world did you guys do? This bridge is at km 18 and all you had to do was go back to km 15, Los Alcarrizos, go in all the way to the Free Zone, 4 or 5 kms, drive west to Hato Nuevo 3 kms. and then come out on Autopista Duarte at km 22. Maybe 30 mins instead of 4 hours.

Is this DR1 almighty Robert? Guess he's human after all!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
frank alvarez said:
What in the world did you guys do? This bridge is at km 18 and all you had to do was go back to km 15, Los Alcarrizos, go in all the way to the Free Zone, 4 or 5 kms, drive west to Hato Nuevo 3 kms. and then come out on Autopista Duarte at km 22. Maybe 30 mins instead of 4 hours.

Oh well. It was a good time. I figured there had to be a better way. Robert is the DR "expert". I turn into a pumpkin if I'm not back in the Capital by midnight.

:) :)

Thanks for the compliments. I knew people would like this one.

Scandall

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Great pix and narrative!

Scandall said:
Oh well. It was a good time. I figured there had to be a better way. Robert is the DR "expert". I turn into a pumpkin if I'm not back in the Capital by midnight. Thanks for the compliments. I knew people would like this one. Scandall

Hey, yahoos in good jest. You guys did not have to go around so far but at least it made it interesting although Im sure when you were in that goat track you did not think it was so great. Had you gone my way we would have missed all the great pix and narrative. Is that little shack part of Sea Horse? Wow!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
frank alvarez said:

I think Robert enjoys the adventure in testing his 4WD vehicle on uncharted* roads. I recall another trip, possible on Escott's blog, about another adventure.

* Use of poetic license, since this road was actually on the map.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
JDJones said:
Why buy the cow if you get the milk for free, right?

What the ... ?
Why buy the pig just to get a little sausage? :eek:
Great trip report, and pictures. That IS the pool I want at my place.
Love those road trips.
mkohn

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Amazing!

Scandall said:
...failed to notice the 300 pound pig sleeping next to me until after I woke her up...
This part sounds exactly like MY weekend. Time to cut back on the Presidente, I guess. :eek:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That was one of the best trip reports I have read in a while. I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard. The words and pics were equally as funny. Thanks for reminding me of the silly things about the RD that I miss. With the island becoming so modernized it is cool to see the things that remind me of the good old days there.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
The beach scene with the mountain in background, AWESOME! It would be worth all the trouble just to capture that beauty! :)

Yvette

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Great story, great photos. SOunds like you all had a good time.... See the north coast isn't so bad after all....

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
planner said:
Great story, great photos. SOunds like you all had a good time.... See the north coast isn't so bad after all....

I love the north coast but unfortunately there are not many good paying opportunities up there for what I do. I have lived in SD since arriving on the island three years ago. The Capital has a lot to offer but it certainly seems like a concrete jungle at times. Boca Chica is a hop-skip-and-a-jump away but not the nicest beach in the world. The north coast is gorgeous and more laid back. I'll be there one day. But first I must build my empire...such is my burden.

:) :) :)

Scandall The Great

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Such a burden honey. ANd I am here on the north coast and I visit the concrete jungle looking for adventure.

I am there next week as a matter of fact.....