Lights out in Santo Domingo!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Well it seems as if someone is playing with the light switch again. We have been experiencing very long ?apagones? and my inverser hardly has time to recharge. That makes me think of perhaps looking for an alternative solution to this problem; solar energy! Has anybody been using solar energy?

Are there companies here in DR selling the system?
Is it very expensive?
Let?s say with 2 panels, what can you light up in a house?
Does it get damage easily, from the rain and wind?
On cloudy days, does it still charges up?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How many batteries do you have connected to your invertor?

You should have switched to "All Flourescent light bulbs" as well.
I live in Arroy Hondo and agree that the electric "Problem" in Santo Domingo is in one of it's "Worse" modes.
My batteries were completely discharging as well.Besure and keep the "Water Level" full in all batteries,all the time.(Mine were "low"!)I also dumped in some "EDTA" to "clean" the sulfites from the electrodes.(See "Invertors" Thread,this Forum)
I have two of three refrigerators hooked to my invertor.It helps to keep the "freezers" full of containers of water(Frozen Water!) If there is any open space.Also keep bottles of water in the Refrigerator section as well.The larger the "Cold Mass" you have at a low temperature when the power goes off,the colder it will stay,and you really don't need it hooked to the invertor,if you keep the door shut.(NO PEEKING!!!)The "Light" does go out!!!
It also helps a lot if you can "Steal" your electricity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"keep the "Water Level" full in all batteries,all the time, I also dumped in some "EDTA" to "clean" the sulfites from the electrodes."

I do all that already; using low energy light bulbs and I'm also a fan of EDTA! But for example the electricity was gone from 8am till 7pm yesterday so not much I can do with that. I only have 2 batteries but that usually lasted me 5 hours which was fine before these long black outs!