Charter anyone?

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
I am planning on moving to DR permanently in April (or thereabouts) 2006. I am planning on bringing my dog. I have been dreading the thought of putting her in a box in the cargo area (she's a little too plump for carry-on), and have decided that unless absolutely necessary I will not do so. So, I was thinking about other ways I could get her (and me) there. I've started to look into boat and plane charters.

I currently work for a charter flight service, and had a thought that I might price out a charter flight from somewhere like Miami. Using a charter would alleviate the dog problem, and also allow for extra baggage to be brought for the move.

This is not something one not-wealthy person would be able to do alone, so I was wondering - does anyone out there have a similar dilemma or have a desire to get to the DR with more baggage/pet than would be possible on a commercial flght? I was thinking that 5 or 6 people could split the cost of the charter and have a comfortable flight down for themselves and their pet. I haven't talked to anyone where I work about details yet - but I don't forsee any problems logistically.

Just a thought. Anyone interested in hearing pricing? I think I'd get a discount. It wouldn't be cheap - but it would be worth it to me for the safety and comfort of my best friend.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You could buy a pair of sun-glasses and try to pass him off as a working guide dog. You'd only have to buy him his own seat.

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
HOWMAR said:
You could buy a pair of sun-glasses and try to pass him off as a working guide dog. You'd only have to buy him his own seat.

Funny you mention that. It has been considered. If it was as simple as just buying a second seat without risking getting "caught" trying to be sneaky now that EVERYTHING is construed as terrorism - I wouldn't hesitate.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
People here hyperventilate over the price from MIA to SDQ going up by $3 on a $200 fare, so I think a 1/5 share of a $20,000 private jet would make us have to bury them.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dog Frozen

Watchout - I heard of someone who shipped his dog a Box Terrier from Santiago Chile to Santo Domingo in Lan Chile and when it arrived it was frozen solid! He was compensated but thats not the point