Walk to Highway from airport?

billydesmond

Aug 20, 2005
Is it possible to just walk from the SDQ airport out to the hiway to catch a bus to boca chica? I only have one small handbag to carry. Taxi to boca is probably $25 now, such a short distance away seems like rip off.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How is your Spanish?
Walk upstairs to the departures dropoff.
Grab a Publico dropping off passengers.
Chances are pretty good you can get a ride for US$10 to BC.
A "Taxi Turistico" will not risk his license picking you up from arrivals but a publico will take you.

Another trick is grabbing the Pietro Tours Bus that is 3/4 empty going to Hamaca for $5! That goes right in the drivers pocket.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
How is your Spanish?
That seems like a good suggestion. Have you ever tried it?

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
Tamborista said:
How is your Spanish?
A "Taxi Turistico" will not risk his license picking you up from arrivals but a publico will take you.

Another trick is grabbing the Pietro Tours Bus that is 3/4 empty going to Hamaca for $5! That goes right in the drivers pocket.

Or, if your spanish is decent, you can grab a motoconcho if you walk a little ways to the right of arrivals terminal, just past where the airport building ends. There are ususally a few guys waiting. The cost is like $60RD. Its a short trip to the autopista. They can leave you right where you can catch a guagua to boca chica. But you have to know where to stop the guagua. I wouldn't try this if you have big luggage.

If it is only you alone traveling, grabbing the Hamaca bus as suggested above is a better bet. Personally, I might try this when I go.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
No I am writing The new Lonely Planet , and it seemed like a good idea.
No need for the sarcasm, I was just trying to verify accuracy of the information ($10). You can use the same method in the US, but you rarely save much money.

Last edited:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
If you want to walk, I'm sure you can walk to the Texaco station right outisde the airport and hook up with some publico or motoconcho there.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Share a fare

You would melt trying to walk from the airport terminal to the hiway, you would get a far as the airport parking exit and meltdown would begin. Best bet as mentioned is hook up with an exiting tour bus or begin to walk to the hiway, most likely someone will stop and offer a ride for a negotiable price.

Also, if you are not bashful; ask some of your fellow passengers if any are headed to B.C., offer to share a fare and ride with them.

Regards,
PJT

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
motoconcho is the way to go

to get to the highway. The price should not be more then 20 pesos and if they want more look for another one as 20 is the normal price. Once on the highway all you need to do is flag down the bus that says Boca Chica on the front and they will stop no matter where you are standing. To make it easier stand where other people are standing and watch for your bus. Very simple and I have done it many times. It was once 5 pesos but now I pay 20 maybe 25 but never more then that. My trips have been to El Seybo and BC is a lot closer. ;) ;) ;)

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
billydesmond said:
Taxi to boca is probably $25 now, such a short distance away seems like rip off.

Taxis aren't all that expensive from SDQ to Boca Chica; $18 seems to be the official price. That's what it has cost me the last 5 trips.

To each his own I suppose, but when I arrive at SDQ after some 12 hours flight time and waiting in airports my patience is about gone. I get a taxi, make a stop on the way for essential supplies (Brugal, Barcelo, Coke, and water) then on to BC for a good night of relaxation. ;)

Swede