Can you help with answers?

stanleyr

Aug 20, 2005
I am 63 and retiring in Dec. Considering moving to DR. for retirement. Have $1300 US/mo coming in. Where can I live in DR that is safe, on beach, and cheap enough for me to have a decent subsistance. Any information would be appreciated.
Stanleyr ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
stanleyr said:
I am 63 and retiring in Dec. Considering moving to DR. for retirement. Have $1300 US/mo coming in. Where can I live in DR that is safe, on beach, and cheap enough for me to have a decent subsistance. Any information would be appreciated.
Stanleyr ;)

Hi there, and welcome to Dr1.
Are you looking to rent an apartment or house or simular, is that what you mean?
Most facilities would be close to beach, but not right on.
At least here on the North Coast ( Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete ).
There are both apartments and condos for rent, that you would be able to afford if you have an income of 1300 US/month.
Have you been on the island, is there any part of the island you like more?
Or any other things that are important for you to be close by, for example other Americans, expats, no expats etc etc.

Tell us a little more, and I am sure you can get more specific numbers to play with. ;)

stanleyr

Aug 20, 2005
Thanks carina!

carina said:
Hi there, and welcome to Dr1.
Are you looking to rent an apartment or house or simular, is that what you mean?
Most facilities would be close to beach, but not right on.
At least here on the North Coast ( Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete ).
There are both apartments and condos for rent, that you would be able to afford if you have an income of 1300 US/month.
Have you been on the island, is there any part of the island you like more?
Or any other things that are important for you to be close by, for example other Americans, expats, no expats etc etc.

Tell us a little more, and I am sure you can get more specific numbers to play with. ;)

Carina,
I don't care much about other expats being in the area. I live in Antigua now and have been here for 4 years. It is too expensive to stay here on my retirement. Frankly I have always loved the DR women, and eventually would want to have someone to take care of me. But in the mean time, I would like to rent untill I find a place to buy (if ever). That way I can look around a be sure of what I want. I have been told more than once the area of Puerta Plata and especially LaRomana would be nice for me. I have not been on island before and ofcourse will come for a short stay first to look around, probably in January if not before.

I just need breeze and a small comfortable safe place where I dont have to worry about my belongings being missing. I have dogs i would like to bring also; so fenced and isolated is best for me. I do not like traffic and noise, but prefer to live with no neighbors. I like to fish off the rocks also. Views are very nice too, but I know that may push the price way up.

So you think I could live a decent life on my $1300 U.S.?

I'd like to hear more on your opinions about my settling there. Thanks,
Stanley

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think you should come here and look around as you say yourself.
There are many ways of living here, and when you say fenced in the meaning to have your doggies out free, it sound more like the need of a house.
As all apartments will include neighbours one way or the other... ;)

There are many ways to live in DR, and prices are many from low to very, very high, depending on status, facilities and location.

There are small apartments for instance in Costambar, furnished, that goes for around 6000 - 8000 pesos a month. ( that would be appr. 200-260 US ).
There is also apartments there for much more.

There are houses in local communities in Puerto Plata for around 8000-11.000 a month, unfurnished.

Gated communities around Puerto Plata, or within the city, are more expensive and a small apartment with gated security, guard etc would go from 20.000 pesos and up monthly, furnished.

Sosua, also on the north coast, would probably offer anything for around 500 us a month. I am sure the members in Sosua can give more specific information.

If you want the beach very close, Puerto Plata is not an option for you.
It?s a lovely, small Caribbean town, but we travel to the beaches around town. We are located by the ocean though.
Sosua or Costambar might be more suitable for you if we are talking about the North Coast.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Try looking east

Carina has made some nice suggestions. I know many people that live just fine on or about $1,300 a month in the Puerto Plata/Sosua/Caberete area. While you are down visitng try going out east and look at Rio San Juan, Nagua, and into Samana. It is pretty much off the beaten path and might offer you what you are looking for.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
stanleyr said:
Stanleyr ;)
I'm surprised we haven't heard from the "naysayers".
Most would consider it too litlle, although I could manage, but on a fairly tight budget, specially the part about being on the beach.
That being said, the other option is staying where you are with that same amount of monthly revenue, so if I were you, I would make it work here.

stanleyr

Aug 20, 2005
Thanks to all of you who took time to answer

I appreciate your answers and information. It is encouraging! I will come and visit and take time to travel "off the beaten path" as suggested. Thank you all!
Stanley

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Las Terrenas

I know several Europeans here who are living on a thousand a month...You have to buy some sort of transport eventually, and you certainly won't be going out to expensive restuarants - of which we have many -- but you can do it. There are lots of older men here who have taken young Dominican wives to take care of them... well, it is a fair enough job offer, and better than a lot of them will get with a life with kids on their own. Do visit here while you are on the Island.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
My inclination would be to setup base in the Sosua area first. You can rent in a decent condo for less than 400/month, within walking distance to beach and amenities such as restaurants and shopping. You then can explore other places on the island, east and south, then compare. I strongly suggest getting a Dominican Health Insurance policy, about $16 US/month from any local insurance broker. This way you don't have to worry about fronting any medical costs in xase of an emergency.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
I strongly suggest getting a Dominican Health Insurance policy, about $16 US/month from any local insurance broker. This way you don't have to worry about fronting any medical costs in xase of an emergency.
What does $16US a month cover? I've heard polices with adequate coverage are much more, closer to $90US a month.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
What does $16US a month cover? I've heard polices with adequate coverage are much more, closer to $90US a month.
I am not talkng about an international policy bought in the US. My Dominican Health Policy (ARS Popular) is 510 pesos/month. It covers Hospital Room, in-patient medications, consultations, tests, x-rays, etc. Outpatient it covers doctors visits w/50 peso copay., 80% prescriptions up to 5000 pesos/yr., 80% outpatient labs and x-rays. Also included is dental coverage and eye glasses. Has a 300,000 peso annual cap. I figure this would be enough coverage in an emergency. If I was sicker than this I figure that I had better get back to the US.

Last edited:

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Possibly Luperon

You might also take a look at Luperon. There are several retired persons from all over living there on around $1000 a month. Nice apartments can be found for around $200 a month. You will always see a variation of people due to the influx of boaters that stop at Luperon on their journeys. It's safe and they put up with more bad behavior than I would have imagined. Most of the foreigners living there are ones that arrived on boats, fell in love with the country and stayed. I arrived on a boat, fell in love with the country, ran out of money and had to return and work for the man. I'm working on getting back.

Steve L

illwill76

Oct 11, 2005
slas7713 said:
You might also take a look at Luperon. There are several retired persons from all over living there on around $1000 a month. Nice apartments can be found for around $200 a month. You will always see a variation of people due to the influx of boaters that stop at Luperon on their journeys. It's safe and they put up with more bad behavior than I would have imagined. Most of the foreigners living there are ones that arrived on boats, fell in love with the country and stayed. I arrived on a boat, fell in love with the country, ran out of money and had to return and work for the man. I'm working on getting back.

Steve L

Thank you Stanleyr and slas7713 now I know where I?m moving to when I retire the great DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!! ;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The others appear to be right

In reading the other postings - they are probably right that further west of Las Terrenas would be better. This area is still developing and most of the foreigners are younger- we don't have a good rental stock in the lower prices.

But with the rising price of gas, prices all over are going up. Probably Trinidad which has an oil refinery business and therefore cheap oil - will provide a better quality of life for a Brit on a fixed income. Many Americans come here since it is so close to the US and easy for friends and family to visit.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
stanleyr said:
Carina,
I don't care much about other expats being in the area. I live in Antigua now and have been here for 4 years. It is too expensive to stay here on my retirement. Frankly I have always loved the DR women, and eventually would want to have someone to take care of me. But in the mean time, I would like to rent untill I find a place to buy (if ever). That way I can look around a be sure of what I want. I have been told more than once the area of Puerta Plata and especially LaRomana would be nice for me. I have not been on island before and ofcourse will come for a short stay first to look around, probably in January if not before.

I just need breeze and a small comfortable safe place where I dont have to worry about my belongings being missing. I have dogs i would like to bring also; so fenced and isolated is best for me. I do not like traffic and noise, but prefer to live with no neighbors. I like to fish off the rocks also. Views are very nice too, but I know that may push the price way up.

So you think I could live a decent life on my $1300 U.S.?

I'd like to hear more on your opinions about my settling there. Thanks,
Stanley

Hi Stanley,
I agree with you on wanting to live in DR, I left Antigua 2 1/2 years ago to live in LaRomana after 21 years there and have never regretted a day of my life here.
A large majority of the expats live on the north coast, a beautiful area, but too touristy for my liking, I came to LaRomana because it is a nice quiet city with great people and not a lot of crime.
Sounds like you are single, you will love LaRomana, I have been told on a number of occasions that the females outnumber the guys 5 to 1 , based on what I see every day, the odds could even be higher, I'm not talking about hookers, tho we have our share and then some, most of these girls work in factories etc.
As far as living on US$1300.00 per month, probably not a problem, but not a lot of extra frills like eating out in good restaurants regularly, I have a single Can. friend who lives quite well on a simillar amount, rents a fairly nice apartment for $2,600.00 pesos p/m on the outer edge of town.
Depending on the area, you should be able to find a 3 bedroom house in the $5,000 to 8,000 peso range, less if my wife negotiates before they see a gringo.
PM me and hopefully I can be of some help.
Ken

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
Humano: Royal Plan -
Lab. work (unlimited)
X-Rays (unlimited)
Special Examinations (unlimited)
Hospital Room (RD1,600.00/day)
Medication while in hospital (RD2200.00/day)
Limit per case: RD200,000.00
There is some other work including dental. You would need to check with them.
Price: RD720.00/month