Some Questions

WaterRats

Aug 21, 2005
Hi! We've been looking into moving to the DR, and I think that an actual move will be coming up soon. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best way to do this.
Our goal is to have a small home on the ocean (or a very short walk away). A house or land we can build on, and off-grid is also ok with us. We are very interested in the Samana area. We're pretty much looking to kick back, relax, and make friends.
Our thought is to fly down there, stay at a hotel until we find an inexpensive place to rent, then live in the rental for a month or so until we find a home. We aren't rich (I wish), we have a bit over $2000 (US) coming in montly. Is this a good way to go about making this move? Or is there a better way?
How about rentals that allow pets (dogs and a cat, maybe two birds, we are not sure about bringing them)?
Here, we live on a small farm with goats, horses, chickens, turkeys, etc. The whole lot of them will be sold off before we come. But, I want to ask, before we do that, are dairy goats easy to come by there? Are they reasonably priced? Or, would it be better to keep a buck and doe from here and bring them (after we have moved out of the rental, of course)?
As for schooling, are there many homeschoolers there? I homeschool my daughter here in the states, and I'd like to continue that there (I think), to keep her at the level she is progressing at.
We are trying to learn Spanish (with my daughter doing the best at 6 years old, lol), so that we aren't confined to the English speaking population, as that is not what we want. We're really looking forward to this adventure. And I'll be waiting (im)patiently (lol) for the responses to this. Thanks in advance!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The plan to live in a rental for a month or so before commiting to a move is a good one. If you can, I would leave the pets at home until you make the final move. Regarding bringing livestock into the country, I can't even begin to imagine the headaches invloved.

I'm not sure I would completely homeschool your daughter. Assuming you are homeschooling her in the US because you feel you can provide a better education for her (and not for other reasons), I would send her one of the low cost private schools in the DR and supplement her with homeschooling. The low cost private schools provide an education slightly better than the public schools (which don't provide much of an education). By sending her to school, you will allow her to interact with other kids and acclimate better to life in the DR.

BTW, have you ever been to the DR before?

Disclaimer: The above advice is provided by someone that has traveled to the DR over 100 times but does NOT live there.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
An idea would be to come and live here in a rental for as long as 6 months to a year, before you commit to a move. In fact, I would suggest that you do not commit to a move, unless you've tried it for a good 6 months. If you have some money coming in, it would be a good test to see if you can actually live on the amount available. Off-grid is just about the way we all live.. the grid is sometimes more off than on and we live with inverters and generators for power. It would also be good to send you daughter to one of the smaller Spanish private schools as suggested before, if only to help her pick up the language quickly and meet some friends. Her Spanish will improve in leaps and bounds that way and she will soon be fluent. You will have to complement the school studies with more enriching work. There are lots of goats here but you'll have to look around for a good milking goat. All the livestock plus more is available here and the cost and hassle factor of moving yours may be too high.

I would say try it before you commit. Ken, a long time poster on the board lived in Samana for some years before moving to Sosua. He could give you more information on the specific area. It is very beautiful but also quite remote. It takes time to get used to living here and it is not for everyone.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
rellosk said:
If you can, I would leave the pets at home until you make the final move. Regarding bringing livestock into the country, I can't even begin to imagine the headaches invloved.

Dogs and cats are no problem their shots have to be valid Rabies and so. For leaving the country a health certificate not older than 48 hours (if i'm not mistaken) given by a lokal vet

For birds there is a 10 day quarantine periode

Greetings

Johan

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
WaterRats said:
Here, we live on a small farm with goats, horses, chickens, turkeys, etc. The whole lot of them will be sold off before we come. But, I want to ask, before we do that, are dairy goats easy to come by there? Are they reasonably priced? Or, would it be better to keep a buck and doe from here and bring them (after we have moved out of the rental, of course)?
As for schooling, are there many homeschoolers there? I homeschool my daughter here in the states, and I'd like to continue that there (I think), to keep her at the level she is progressing at.
We are trying to learn Spanish (with my daughter doing the best at 6 years old, lol), so that we aren't confined to the English speaking population, as that is not what we want. We're really looking forward to this adventure. And I'll be waiting (im)patiently (lol) for the responses to this. Thanks in advance!

I will send you a PM later, I have some friends here who are farmers and own a lot of livestock, goats, etc.

And don't feel bad about your daughter's skills surpassing yours - my daughter is only two and a half but she will be translating for me when she gets here, I bet.

Check for a PM this afternoon, hopefully I can put you in contact with someone who will have specifics for you. I need to check with them first to make sure.

Good luck!

Sunnie

WaterRats

Aug 21, 2005
questions about health issues

Thank you all for your information.
No, we haven't been to the DR, we are going on what people say about it, what we find on the internet, and books.
Sending my daughter to a school there to help her adjust to the DR is a good idea, I will definately keep that in mind.
I suppose I will sell the goats, and buy there, it definately sounds like a better way to go about it.

Have any of you moved there without going there before? What is medical care there like? My parents, they are retired, are going with me, it is my Dads wish to go there, as he has cancer and would like to live out his days on the island. Do you go to the states for medical treatment or to the hospitals there? (Obviously in an emergency we would go to the local hospital.) Do you use a international travelers health insurance plan or one directly in the DR?

I have heard conflicting things on crime rate there, also with AIDS. Is it safe to live there, I don't want my daughter to have to grow up living in fear. Some crime is fine, we lived about an hour from Washington, DC, and are used to it, but we don't want excessive crime, and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Then as for AIDS, I read a few places that it is practically an epidemic there, is this truth? I know to be careful, but I worry about my daughter, for she will eventually be a teenager (as much as I hate the thought), and well, teenagers will be teenagers, I know I was. And I worry about that. What are your thougts on these to issues?

Thanks again for your help everyone, I really appreciate it, these boards are loaded with information. :classic:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
heldengebroed said:
Dogs and cats are no problem their shots have to be valid Rabies and so. For leaving the country a health certificate not older than 48 hours (if i'm not mistaken) given by a lokal vet

For birds there is a 10 day quarantine periode
I was commenting about the headaches in bringing over livestock, not pets. The OP was asking about bring over goats.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
WaterRats said:
Thank you all for your information.
No, we haven't been to the DR, we are going on what people say about it, what we find on the internet, and books.
Sending my daughter to a school there to help her adjust to the DR is a good idea, I will definately keep that in mind.
I suppose I will sell the goats, and buy there, it definately sounds like a better way to go about it.

Have any of you moved there without going there before? What is medical care there like? My parents, they are retired, are going with me, it is my Dads wish to go there, as he has cancer and would like to live out his days on the island. Do you go to the states for medical treatment or to the hospitals there? (Obviously in an emergency we would go to the local hospital.) Do you use a international travelers health insurance plan or one directly in the DR?

I have heard conflicting things on crime rate there, also with AIDS. Is it safe to live there, I don't want my daughter to have to grow up living in fear. Some crime is fine, we lived about an hour from Washington, DC, and are used to it, but we don't want excessive crime, and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Then as for AIDS, I read a few places that it is practically an epidemic there, is this truth? I know to be careful, but I worry about my daughter, for she will eventually be a teenager (as much as I hate the thought), and well, teenagers will be teenagers, I know I was. And I worry about that. What are your thougts on these to issues?

Thanks again for your help everyone, I really appreciate it, these boards are loaded with information. :classic:
You definately are taking a big step onto thin ice.
While general medical care in the DR is adequate, you probably have to be near one of the major cities, either Santo Domingo or Santtiago, for cancer care. Even then, cutting edge advances in chemo and radiation therapy available in the US may not yet be available.
As far as insurance, be careful. If you purchase an international plan, it may not cover pre-existing conditions. The same for a Dominican plan bought here. It may not cover pre-exisiting conditions for the first year. It is good to have a local insurance because if the need arises to go to a private clinic, you will be admitted without having to guarantee payment. The price for medical insurance which includes dental coverage and some prescription costs is about 500 pesos per month per person. It has limitations in coverage, but will get you enough treatment until you can get back to the US.
As far as AIDS is concerned. You really should have no more concerns in the DR than in the US. If you practice safe sex, avoid contact with blood or body fluids, and don't share hypodermic or tattoo needles you will be safe.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR Is NOT For Everyone!! And DEFINATELY NOT For

someone with a family who has NEVER been here before!!!
Your worry about "AIDS" shows that your priorities are way out of line.You need to worry about food and shelter,not aabout a "potencial" problem for your daughter 12 years from now! "AIDS" will be the least of your worries.It also shows how little you actually know about this place,and that your "sources" for what is important in the DR are flawed!!Why not "worry" about something that you can enjoy together as a family,and kills lots more people than "AIDS"? "Hepatitis,A,B,and that bad boy "C"!!(Like AIDS, no vaccine for the "Bad Boy"!)
You come here,"sight-un-seen",you better have a return ticket for everyone in your group! You do your father a diservice to bring him here to die! There are virtually no services available for his final days!And No Dominican Insurance for "Cancer" or other "Chronic" diseases.
Few people I know would jump out of an airplane at 10,000 feet without a parachute and "HOPE" to make a "Softlanding" in a "Drop Zone" they have never seen!..Even fewer would do the same and bring their entire family with them.Says volumes about you!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

WaterRats

Aug 21, 2005
Criss Colon said:
someone with a family who has NEVER been here before!!!
Your worry about "AIDS" shows that your priorities are way out of line.You need to worry about food and shelter,not aabout a "potencial" problem for your daughter 12 years from now! "AIDS" will be the least of your worries.It also shows how little you actually know about this place,and that your "sources" for what is important in the DR are flawed!!Why not "worry" about something that you can enjoy together as a family,and kills lots more people than "AIDS"? "Hepatitis,A,B,and that bad boy "C"!!(Like AIDS, no vaccine for the "Bad Boy"!)
You come here,"sight-un-seen",you better have a return ticket for everyone in your group! You do your father a diservice to bring him here to die! There are virtually no services available for his final days!And No Dominican Insurance for "Cancer" or other "Chronic" diseases.
Few people I know would jump out of an airplane at 10,000 feet without a parachute and "HOPE" to make a "Softlanding" in a "Drop Zone" they have never seen!..Even fewer would do the same and bring their entire family with them.Says volumes about you!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Way out of line, says volumes about me?!?!?
I think not. This move is HIS wish, HIS choice. Not mine. As for my sources, I am going on what I can find, trying to do the best I can for research. That is WHY I am asking questions. You bet we would have return tickets, that was a given in our situation. My father plans to continue his treatment (right now an alternative one, after 3 years of chemo), and if he needs more chemo and/or radiation, he plans on going up to Florida. I have no hope of a "soft landing" when we get there. That is one of my main concerns. My father on the other hand, arguess with myself and my mother DAILY that that is not an issue for him. It is for me, it is for my mother, but not for him. I do not think that moving there will be any sort of cake walk. Trying to convince my father with terminal cancer of that, is a whole different story. How would you feel, Chris, if every time you told your father, whos last wish is to be on the island, that he couldn't go beacuase you have every reason in the world for him not to, and he broke down in tears? Let me tell you, it makes me feel like a heel.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
WaterRats said:
Have any of you moved there without going there before?
I thought it was your intenetion to visit for a short time before moving. Have you changed your plans?
WaterRats said:
What is medical care there like? My parents, they are retired, are going with me, it is my Dads wish to go there, as he has cancer and would like to live out his days on the island. Do you go to the states for medical treatment or to the hospitals there? (Obviously in an emergency we would go to the local hospital.) Do you use a international travelers health insurance plan or one directly in the DR?
Sorry to hear about your Dad's health. The medical care in the DR is adequate, assuming you have insurance or the money to pay for it. How is you Dad's care paid for now? Medicare, private insurance, or out-of-pocket. How is the rest of the families care provided for? Some doctors and hospitals in the DR accept US insurance. You also need to check with your US carrier to see if you are still covered if you change your residency to the DR, or if you are out of the US for an extended length of time.

WaterRats said:
I have heard conflicting things on crime rate there, also with AIDS. Is it safe to live there, I don't want my daughter to have to grow up living in fear. Some crime is fine, we lived about an hour from Washington, DC, and are used to it, but we don't want excessive crime, and I can't seem to find a straight answer.
There is no cut and dry answer. In some areas, crime is on the rise. Similar to the US, certain areas are worse than others. The only place it is even close to rampant is in the slums.
WaterRats said:
Then as for AIDS, I read a few places that it is practically an epidemic there, is this truth? I know to be careful, but I worry about my daughter, for she will eventually be a teenager (as much as I hate the thought), and well, teenagers will be teenagers, I know I was. And I worry about that.
According to the CIA World Factbook, the "HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate" is 1.7%, compared to 0.6% in the US. These numbers might be slightly skewed due to the younger average age in the DR.

WaterRats

Aug 21, 2005
rellosk said:
I thought it was your intenetion to visit for a short time before moving. Have you changed your plans?
No, our plans haven't changed. The plan is still to go to a hotel, then to rent for a while while looking around at our options. In the meantime, our property here will be rented out. That way we can move back if we need or want to.

rellosk said:
How is you Dad's care paid for now? Medicare, private insurance, or out-of-pocket. How is the rest of the families care provided for?

My father has Medicare and VA Benefits, he is planning to switch his VA treatment/benefits to Miami for convience. The rest of us have private insurance (BCBS). I'll look into our plans to see about coverage in the DR, if we can keep it, what they will cover, etc.
Thanks for the info on crime and the statistics on AIDS rates. That is not much different than here, well not enough of a difference to make a difference. Crime, that sounds similar to the US, get into the slums, get into the crime.
Thank you, and to the others that are being friendly and informative, for your answers, considerations, and help. I really appreciate all of it.

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
Wrong place to ask such question.

Hello and welcome to DR1. This is a great source of information on the Dominican Republic and they are truly some helpful kind people on here that will give you helpful infromation. But beware of offending the small little tight group that post almost daily. They seem to be bitter angry people that enjoy making fun of others pain and suffering. And have so little self repect for them selfs that they have to attack anyone that dares to form a different opion then they have.

As for your question I would think it is possible to live on the 2000 us a month but it will not be easy. Everyrhing in the DR is moving up in price and housing and basic living itiems are getting more expencive all the time.

I personaly do quite well on 2000 us a month. But i also do not live to high on the scale when i am there. there are 3 of us in our small home in sosoua ( We own Not a rental) and even though there are many months i spend less then 2000 us there is also many months that i do go over that budget.

As for health care i think basic services are ok but i would perfer canadian or american health for serious cases like cancer. And there is not much local assitance when your father reaches his final days. For that reason and for the limited amount of funds you would be living on. I think it would be wise not to rush your decission.

As for your childern i can not really give you my opion on that as i have a 14 year old son in canada that wants to come live with me in the DR and i have not been able to make the deccision on what to do. I think most private schools would be good enough for a basic education but extra studies at home would be helpful. I am more concerned with just day to day living for my son and the culture shock of that frist year or two. If your child is still very young then maybe they will adjust better.

Anyways You have alot of thinking and planning ahead of you. Do not let some of these post detour you and your family. I wish you and your family the best of luck. Take a trip down there spend a few weeks talk to as many as you can and you will find out what is right for you. And remember not all opions posted on this forum by members are to be taken seriously. Some people just enjoy putting others down so then can feel better about there own S*&^ hole of a life

Rick
Toronto

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OKAY Kid, here it is

You will not live on the beach or really that close to the beach on 2000 dollars a month.

You need to be near a major airport with very good connections to Puerto Rico (they are US and have VA facilities there and are just 45 minutes away). This limits you to Santo Domingo and environs (but not too much environs, since outside of STO DGO it is mostly the schitts) Or Santiago, or La Romana. Now you "could" live in La Romana, in town, on your 2000 dollars. BUT you are 2 hours away from really pretty good medical care in Santo Domingo. There aare a couple of good schools there. There is Punta Cana, of course but two grand won't go far there. That is the maintainence fee for most of the properties there.

So, Santo Domingo or Santiago. Both have good medical facilities for cancer treatment and both are about 45 minutes from Puerto Rico or 2 hours from Miami. Both have air med evac experience. Santiago airport (STI) is 15 minutes from downtown or most of the top residential areas. Santo Domingo (SDQ) is at least an hour from most decent residential areas.
Problem is neither of them have beaches.

And the problem with Puerto Plata is that they don't have that many flights to the US or Puerto Rico. But they do have beaches.

The Atlantic is an hour and 15 from Santiago and the Caribbean is at least the same from Santo Domingo --out to Boca Chica....unless you live in the schitthole of Eastern Santo Domingo.

Forget Saman?; there is isolation, peace and quiet, but no worthwhile medical facilities except for the local witch doctors...."curanderos"

When your Dad passes (which I hope does not happen for a long time), then you can do what "SHADLEY" did and get a little farm in the hills in back of Cabrera with five or six little beaches on hand...Look up posts by Shadley...

About your goats. If they are of high genetic value, you can certainly bring them here. Just a little paperwork is all that is needed. We do have milk goats here, but I don't know if they are the same quality as yours.

Most cows here are "mixed purpose" milk and beef...Brahama x Hereford mixes or something like that. :p

Go slow. A quick long weekend trip to get the "feel" of the place is in order.
Avoid the tourist places. See the real country.

Good luck...it is a nice place to raise kids, really.....

HB :D:D:D

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Medical ins

Be careful on your current med insurance. I have found when researching the problem that many Us companies (United Health Care, Pacific Care, BS/BC of Colorado, Etna and others) do not cover you if you are out of the country (USA) for longer then 90 consecutive days and is some cases it is 60 days. Also there is a limit of the total time you can spend out of the country a year. Most of the international plans I have looked out are resonable and do cover emergency evacuation to PR or Miami, BUT they do not cover pre-existing conditions for one year.
Check this out carefully.

Bob K