clothing donations

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
Could someone inform us on the easiest, least expensive way to have clothing donations sent from the U.S to the D.R.....
Thanks

Jay06

Aug 19, 2005
gringagirly said:
Could someone inform us on the easiest, least expensive way to have clothing donations sent from the U.S to the D.R.....
Thanks

Where in the U.S. are you sending clothes from?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
gringagirly said:
Thanks
Transportation and fair treatment by Aduana once they arrive is certainly a challege for charitible organizations.

Gregg

Tony-O

Jun 11, 2005
In Los Mina

Just a little additional info.......
Around the maternity hospital San Lorenzo Los Mina you can see just exactly how donated clothes get used here. Just about any day you will find donated clothes being SOLD on the street.
I do agree with Escott's previous post about the best way of getting the donated clothes here, tote them yourself. I would then deliver the donated clothes directly to a church that serves the truly poorest folks here. It is better, but not necessary, to have a working relationship with the church. You may inquire with Mision Medica Dominicana to see how they get their medications here www.brownsdominicanadventure.com/contact.htm
I hope this useful and thank you for helping.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Just a little pitch guys. If you are coming here and either have childrens books or friends that have children that outgrew theirs please bring them here with you. Post here and I will get someone to pick them up from you.

Escott

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
shipped from miami

Jay06 said:
Where in the U.S. are you sending clothes from?

The clothes are being sent from Miami to Santo Domingo and hopefully MOST of the clothes will get distributed as intended. Muling them with D.R 1 folk sounds good, but Im talking large donations on a regular basis. Really need someone's advice on this.
Thanks

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
FireGuy said:
Transportation and fair treatment by Aduana once they arrive is certainly a challege for charitible organizations.

Gregg
And that's only the beginning. Equitable distribution to your intended recipients without pilferage or graft are your next concerns.

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
Tell me about it!!

I lived in the D.R. for nearly 5 years...not much I have not seen when it comes to corruption and greed...so I get your point. Iam fully aware of how the system works... HOWEVER, I would still like to try......not much I didn't see when it came to poverty either. SO, If anyone can give us helpful advice instead of negative imput...we would appreciate it.

Jay06

Aug 19, 2005
gringagirly said:
The clothes are being sent from Miami to Santo Domingo and hopefully MOST of the clothes will get distributed as intended. Muling them with D.R 1 folk sounds good, but Im talking large donations on a regular basis. Really need someone's advice on this.
Thanks

Well in NY where I am from there are a lot of companies that ship barrels and big boxes to D.R. and the cost is like 100 U.S. dollars but you can fit a lot of clothes in them. Try going to a Dominican area in Miami and research to see if they also have a company like that or if you want I can give you a number of two different shipping companies in NY maybe they have an office in Miami since is also a city where a lot of Dominicans reside.

Jay

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
Jay06 said:
Well in NY where I am from there are a lot of companies that ship barrels and big boxes to D.R. and the cost is like 100 U.S. dollars but you can fit a lot of clothes in them. Try going to a Dominican area in Miami and research to see if they also have a company like that or if you want I can give you a number of two different shipping companies in NY maybe they have an office in Miami since is also a city where a lot of Dominicans reside.

Jay
Please do give me the numbers.....Thanks

Jay06

Aug 19, 2005
gringagirly said:
Please do give me the numbers.....Thanks

The numbers are as follows:
America Caribe Shipping 718-294-4441
Willis Express 718-588-3903

Let me know how things work out.

Jay