Arriving Sept. 1st.

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Good people,

I have for several years followed the news from dr1.com and feel that it should be recognized as an excellent and essential resource by the Dominican government. I rely on it for up-to-date reporting on conditions, both social and political. I also have met some very nice people including Robert of dr1, Escott and Marco. I have been to the DR twice and have not yet found the place to settle. After spending 3 months in Sosua I realized that the tourism sector was not my style so I have been doing a little exploring in other areas. Last January I went to Monte Cristi, which was a little too boring and from there to Barahona which has more potential with the surrounding areas down the south coast of the Perdenales Penninsula. I will be in the DR for 2 1/2 months in the hope of establishing more personal community relationships.

I still consider myself a novice in the DR and do have a couple of simple inquiries. I will be arriving in Santo Domingo and wish to know what is the accepted price of a taxi that would bring me from the airport to the bus station. From experience I know the system of rip-offs that frequently occur when one is uninformed so, it would help facilitate my arrival if I knew what to expect and not have to negotiate down from extortionist fares.

I am person of modest means and may cosider staying in Santo Domingo for a couple of nights. I would appreciate any suggestions as to hotels that are reasonably priced: $20 - $25 per night for comfort and security and situated in areas that are within walking distance of the ocean. Any personal contacts would be greatly appreciated.

On my limited budget I cannot afford to spend more than $50 per day. From Santo Domingo I plan to go back to Barahona and try to get better acquainted with the Dominican community. Although I appreciate the expat community and much of the interaction, I really want to immerse myself in the culture to see if I can establish some deeper relationships. I am a very social and community oriented person. I was staying at the Hotel"El Gran Marquis", a very nice place, very clean and quiet on the edge of town, but now the owners want 800 pesos per night which comes to around $30 U.S. This with no swimming pool, etc. although breakfast is included. That is more expensive than Sosua! where I found several places for $20 per night of reasonable quality. Especially when you consider that I may be spending over 2 months there. The owners do not seem open to negotiating.

Also, what is the weather like this time of year? Is it quite rainy or is that a passing occurrance with much sunshine interspersed? My last trip I experienced quite a bit of rain in Monte Criste, but maybe not exceptional for January on the north coast. However, this time I believe I will spend most of my time on the south coast in or around Barahona. If any of you are currently in that area, please contact me via this thread. Saludos y afectos to you all.

Ron

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don'tWorry About The "Wheather"! Bring an Umbrella!

Remember that "Santo Domingo" is the Capital City of the DR."Everything" will cost more!Check the "Clasificados" in the Listin Diario newspaper.There a "Rooms To Rent" in some nice houses in "Gasque" and the "Zona Universitaria".Usually in a nice house wwith electic/tv/and water ,where the owner wants to have someone in the house with them.You didn't say what your Language Level is?????? 50 US dollars a day is not much in Santo Domingo,especially since you must pay for food,lodging,and transportation.They get 800 pesos from the airport to Santo Domingo.If you don't have much luggage,go "Upstairs" where the taxis are dropping off pasengers,and ask how much for a ride to town.Offer 400 pesos.It beats a taxi driver going to SD empty.Good luck! CC

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Remember that "Santo Domingo" is the Capital City of the DR."Everything" will cost more!Check the "Clasificados" in the Listin Diario newspaper.There a "Rooms To Rent" in some nice houses in "Gasque" and the "Zona Universitaria".Usually in a nice house wwith electic/tv/and water ,where the owner wants to have someone in the house with them.You didn't say what your Language Level is?????? 50 US dollars a day is not much in Santo Domingo,especially since you must pay for food,lodging,and transportation.They get 800 pesos from the airport to Santo Domingo.If you don't have much luggage,go "Upstairs" where the taxis are dropping off pasengers,and ask how much for a ride to town.Offer 400 pesos.It beats a taxi driver going to SD empty.Good luck! CC

Chris,

thanks for the prompt reply. I especially appreciate the note about the taxi. I will only be in Santo Domingo for a day or two as I have no plans to be around big cities, only to pass throught them, so a modest hotel with clean and safe accomodations will be adequate. If anyone knows of one, please advise. I am fairly fluent in Spanish so there will be no language problem. The only challenge I face is to find a town on the ocean where I feel comfortable, that has some nice beaches and yet not too touristy. I have been as far as Rio San Juan, but it is really tiny and have thought of exploring the Las Terrenas and the Samana Penninsula area to see if there is a quiet corner there, as I understand that there are beautiful beaches where one can walk for miles undisturbed. However, I do not know how safe it would be.

Barahona is not bad, but it is a dusty town and not that interesting. But I thought it might be a good base to explore the areas to the south. Has anyone been there, done that and what do you think? The major drawback to Barahona is that while I was there, I was getting contstant warnings not to walk on the beach or in secluded areas alone, as I will be a target for robbery or assault. When locals tell you that, then I assume there is some merit in the advice. Any and all suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you again.

Ron

dlb

Jun 13, 2005
Arriving Sept 1st

Ron,

I stayed at "Hostal Primaveral" on Dr. Baez, it's between Bolivar and can't remember the other name of the street, (it's about three blocks from the Presidents house) in Gascue. The hotel is about a 7-10 minute walk to "El Conde" (@ Independencia Park entrance) and not too far from Metro Bus Station and Caribe Tours, I paid $100 pesos(one way) for a taxi(Apollo) to get to both bus stations from the hotel. I paid $600 pesos from the airport(Santo Domingo) to the hotel. And since the hotel is near major roads, it's easy to get around. It's a few blocks from "Independencia" too. I paid 80 pesos(from the hotel) to get to the bus station on Jose Marti, those buses go to Boca Chica.
You can walk to the ocean from the hotel(about a 15 minutes, mas or menos) (Malecon area) but you can't swim there.

As for the hotel, it's nothing special..at all, very, very basic, but for a few days, it's a bargain. I don't recommend eating there, but you did not hear that from me bc the girls that work there are wonderful!! All rooms have air-conditioning, clean, room cleaned every day, cable tv(NY NEWS!!!! which was great for me), hot water and electricity 24/7!! I paid $500 pesos a night, about $17.85US. The owner, Salvador, is not the friendliest person, but tell him you are a friend of mine and he should give you the $500 pesos a night rate. Request rooms #22-25, they are the nicest/newest.
The people that stay there are very random but you'll meet some interesting characters, I certainly did ;)
They also have rooms with full kitchens and I believe the rate is $1,000 pesos a night, well that was the rate this past May-July.

Good luck to you.
Denise

Criss Colon said:

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
dlb said:
Ron,

I stayed at "Hostal Primaveral" on Dr. Baez, it's between Bolivar and can't remember the other name of the street, (it's about three blocks from the Presidents house) in Gascue. The hotel is about a 7-10 minute walk to "El Conde" (@ Independencia Park entrance) and not too far from Metro Bus Station and Caribe Tours, I paid $100 pesos(one way) for a taxi(Apollo) to get to both bus stations from the hotel. I paid $600 pesos from the airport(Santo Domingo) to the hotel. And since the hotel is near major roads, it's easy to get around. It's a few blocks from "Independencia" too. I paid 80 pesos(from the hotel) to get to the bus station on Jose Marti, those buses go to Boca Chica.
You can walk to the ocean from the hotel(about a 15 minutes, mas or menos) (Malecon area) but you can't swim there.

As for the hotel, it's nothing special..at all, very, very basic, but for a few days, it's a bargain. I don't recommend eating there, but you did not hear that from me bc the girls that work there are wonderful!! All rooms have air-conditioning, clean, room cleaned every day, cable tv(NY NEWS!!!! which was great for me), hot water and electricity 24/7!! I paid $500 pesos a night, about $17.85US. The owner, Salvador, is not the friendliest person, but tell him you are a friend of mine and he should give you the $500 pesos a night rate. Request rooms #22-25, they are the nicest/newest.
The people that stay there are very random but you'll meet some interesting characters, I certainly did ;)
They also have rooms with full kitchens and I believe the rate is $1,000 pesos a night, well that was the rate this past May-July.

Good luck to you.
Denise

Denise,

muchas gracias for the tip. It will be good to have an option upon arriving in Santo Domingo. And your informtion about the costs of taxis and busses is very helpful. Speaking the language makes a world of difference in communicating and isn't that why we are there? To expand our world and to open ourselves to others. You and Chris and many other contributors to dr1 is what makes it such a valuable resource. All the best to you. Saludos y afectos.

Ron